Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downriggers

Default Downriggers

Yep it's me again.
    I'm a pest. I sure appreciate all the great help I have recieved here Now you will get another laugh. I kinda bought a set of downriggers but never gave mounting them a thought.Then I looked at the rails on my pontoon boat and you don't want to know what I said then. Anyway if any of you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.
    John

How about posting a picture of what you have to work with. Are you speaking of an inflatable pontoon (kickboat) or of the family variety? The later should be no problem. What kind of downrigger? We need a bit more to go on.

Smoke Is Right. Post A Picture and Some One Can Help You! Aluminium Is Readily Avaiable And It Wont Take Alot Of Work To Make Something To Fix Your Problem. Also, There Are Lots Of Items You Can Buy To Provide A Surface To Mount Your Down Riggers To That Are Made For Rails Round Flat, Either Way

On your 18' Smokercraft you may put a large tube mounted on the floor up to whatever height may be comfortable for you; If the railing isn't there to support them

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    How about posting a picture of what you have to work with. Are you speaking of an inflatable pontoon (kickboat) or of the family variety? The later should be no problem. What kind of downrigger? We need a bit more to go on.
    I will attempt to post a pic. It is an 18 ft smokercraft pontoon boat. It has square tube railing. I bought 2 walker electric downriggers. They have 4 ft. poles on them. I was concerned with the torque on the aluminum rail.
    Thanks for the help
    John

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    Smoke Is Right. Post A Picture and Some One Can Help You! Aluminium Is Readily Avaiable And It Wont Take Alot Of Work To Make Something To Fix Your Problem. Also, There Are Lots Of Items You Can Buy To Provide A Surface To Mount Your Down Riggers To That Are Made For Rails Round Flat, Either Way
    It has square railing. They are walker electric downriggers, I appreciate your help. If I figure out how a before and after pic will be here.
    Thanks again John

Without photos, it's hard to reply. You might read this thread and it might give you some ideas:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=1875

You are correct about being concerned about having a substantial mount for each downrigger. You also should be VERY careful about setting your downrigger drag so that it will pay out line when you hit an obstruction rather than capsizing your boat. It happens!
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Wlaker makes a "Quick Mount Base" that mounts to a standard rod holder similar to Cannon's Gimble Mount. http://www.walkerdownriggers.com/accessories.html

I too am concerned over the torque a 4' boom would create on a square tubular handrail system without sufficient support especially should you snag. You may need to have you own mounts specially made to give you the height and strength you're looking for? It's great to be handy or have a good friend that is. I wouldn't skimp $ on whatever mounting system you select. You may even want to contact Walker Downriggers and/or Smokercraft directly for their recommendations? The companies are usually very helpful since they've probably heard the questions before.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    Wlaker makes a "Quick Mount Base" that mounts to a standard rod holder similar to Cannon's Gimble Mount. http://www.walkerdownriggers.com/accessories.html

I too am concerned over the torque a 4' boom would create on a square tubular handrail system without sufficient support especially should you snag. You may need to have you own mounts specially made to give you the height and strength you're looking for? It's great to be handy or have a good friend that is. I wouldn't skimp $ on whatever mounting system you select. You may even want to contact Walker Downriggers and/or Smokercraft directly for their recommendations? The companies are usually very helpful since they've probably heard the questions before.
    Thanks. Good information. I bought a set of the flat V blocks. I plan on mounting a piece of square tubing to the frame of the boat and bolting this to the railing also. I think that will be as rigid as can be done with this boat. I can also adjust height with the tubing. The V block plates will make it very easy to remove the downriggers if need be.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by sawdustsavage View Post
    Full_Monte;18617]Without photos, it's hard to reply. You might read this thread and it might give you some ideas:
    I messed up. this is too high

Thanks. Good looking mount. The best set up I can figure out is to use
    square tubing and bolt it to the floor frame and the rails. If I can figure out how I'll post a pick of the setup when it's done.I can't see anyway on a toon to get it much solider than that. Any suggestions will appreciated. Thats one thing about not knowing anything. Theres alot to learn.
    Thanks John
    http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=1875

You are correct about being concerned about having a substantial mount for each downrigger. You also should be VERY careful about setting your downrigger drag so that it will pay out line when you hit an obstruction rather than capsizing your boat. It happens!
    Thanks. These are the things that can save equipment or even lives. I wouldn't have gave it a thought without your advice.
    Thank You[/QUOTE]

Also, always carry a pair of cable cutters on board within arm's reach for emergencies.

Silver,

Thanksfor the cable cutter idea. I have never considered the cable cutter. Putting one in the boat today. Couple of times I almost got in serious trouble and never thought about cutting the cable.

Default cable cutters

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Also, always carry a pair of cable cutters on board within arm's reach for emergencies.

Thanks. Great Idea. I will make sure that is done. You know if I live long enough you guys may get me trained.
    Thanks again John

Square rail manual downrigger mount--for what its worth:

Last edited by 3RivrFishr; 05-23-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: html error
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

Downriggers have clutches for a reason. They are the equipment safety devices. Don't crank them down tight.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

sorry about the quote meant to reply
    Last edited by sawdustsavage; 05-26-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Used Quote should have replied

3RivrFishr, very nice. I don't think I could have done a better job.

nice DR mount fab. job for square tubing 3RivrFisher.

ditto on what SilverBullets said about HD wire cutters for DR cable.
    if backing up and pulling on the ball reverse direction doesn't free it nor complete slack off and bouncing with the drive, it's cutting time
    NEVER cut the DR cable while it is under tension, only when slack.
    don't ask me how I know this, stainless steel cable zings through the air cut or broken under tension.

DR clutches save lives, boat sides and transoms and busted DR arms.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 05-24-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

That's the kind of handy work, custom made mounts I'm talking about!

GREAT PICS 3RivrFishr!

Do you make these to sell? If so let me know the price and how you do it.
    John

Just saw the thread so sorry I'm a little late on this. I have a 20 ft Fisher Liberty 200 that I have slightly modified to use two Scotty manual downriggers. I still have a couple more brackets to install to help reinforce the fence but it works great. The fence will be the weak link and that is where you will need to ensure adequate stability from side to side and downward pressure. Another option would be a pedestal coming up from the floor but for me I didn't have access to those type materials and the cost would probably been too much. My setup is fairly inexpensive and I can quickly remove everything when it's not in use. I'll post some pictures this weekend (I want to install those last brackets this weekend) and hopefully that will help you out if you still need it. Take care.

Bob

Finished most of what I wanted to get done today. Hope the pics help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR7.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR3.JPG 
Views:	390 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	1653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR1.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR2.JPG 
Views:	1161 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR4.JPG 
Views:	601 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1656  

Last edited by redmanjr1; 06-27-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Couple more pics of the fence braces I put in and then of the mod I had to do to install my Luhr-Jenson trolling speed indicator. The rail was not wide enough so had to improvise. Works great. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR6.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	1657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR8.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR9.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR10.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	1660  

Well Done!!!!!

great idea. Thanks. I can use the help. I mounted mine then changed my mind. You ideas will help. Thank You John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast