Thread: Palmer Lake

Default Palmer Lake

Saturday morning headed out between the 2 points on the South side of the lake and found solid fish from 40 feet out all directions, taking up much of the middle of the lake, favoring the East. All fish were holding at 26 ft. with water temp. at 49 degrees. Trolled all morning and picked up 3 fish at 19". Lucky to get those as no one else getting any observable action. Wind was in it's infancy stage and building as we came in at 1:00 PM to meet friends at our cabin. After lunch four of us wanted to go out and try it, as I and one friend had been baptized with the typhoon style trolling before and lived. Picked up one fish by 7:00 and came in to terra-firma from white-cap rodeo and had beers, beans, and BS till 10.00.

Sunday morning was quite a pleasant surprise as my son and I arrived at the same area at 7:00 AM with mirror finish water. We started picking up fish almost immediately, limiting out by 11: AM. What a great day on the water, although the fish were smaller at 14" to 16", it was constant action, even as we trolled back to the cabin, picking up four more and releasing them. Water temp was 51 degrees and seems to make a big difference here.

O. sagerat,
    great report. you've got me drooling for some E. Wa. kokes grilled over an open fire with the smell of sagebrush around.

nice fish for so early in the season. lake is warming up early.
    Not like the winter of '08>'09 with the hard cold Siberian blast that lasted so long.
    Is that surface temp or at fish depth?

yup, that much wind makes any decent attempt at maintaining a set trolling speed almost impossible even with bags out.
    any day on the water fishing is better than lawn mowing.

got to get me some of that E. Wa. koke fishing this year and a desert fish fire going with a nice brewski. does Conconully and Omak Lakes still have kokes in them?
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

To my knowledge, Conconully does not have any kokes, although The lower lake has advertised it. News does not travel fast from here via pony express. Omak lake has the lahontan cutthroat but it is catch and release till may 31, and Tribal laws apply.

Just was there it was awsome!!!! I was staying at specticle fishing sucked. Palmer was awsome got fifteen on the boat with three in half a day. they were eating everything!

Is there any place to camp on Palmer? I want to take my nephew up there for some koke fishing / camping next weekend, but we'd like to go up for a few days.

RW

Default Places to camp

There is so many different lakes in that area, I am almost sure that you will be able to find a campground close by. The nearest town is the town of Loomis it is about three or so miles away from the boat ramp.