Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wallowa newbie

Default wallowa newbie

so i am planning on taking a trip over to wallowa lake towards the end of may, or early/mid june. not looking for any specific details, but maybe some general info. to get me started...if anyone is willing? what kind of camping is around there? most likely we will just tent it. just wondering if it gets packed that time of year and if i need to make reservations somewhere. any info would be great! you can pm if you'd like.

thanks,

Default Wallowa

Better make reservations right away for Wallowa State Park, and reserve a moorage or You will have to take your boat out and put it in every morning after the gate opens at 6-630 am. as they lock the gate. to the ramp.

HiTech and I were there with our families last June and stayed in cabins. There wasn't any moorage available (I had tried to reserve a slip in advance). We actually drove to the other end of the lake each morning (not very far at all) and put in at the public ramp. There was no locked gate there so we got on the water very early. Worked out fine, gave me a chance to recharge my trolling batteries every night.
    We caught some very nice fish, pretty much usual offerings...GDF hoochies and RMT stuff behind sling blades. It's not a very big lake, just have to find where they're hanging out. It's really beautiful country, have a great time and good luck!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again

Quote Originally Posted by TopFuelKokanee View Post
    HiTech and I were there with our families last June and stayed in cabins. There wasn't any moorage available (I had tried to reserve a slip in advance). We actually drove to the other end of the lake each morning (not very far at all) and put in at the public ramp. There was no locked gate there so we got on the water very early. Worked out fine, gave me a chance to recharge my trolling batteries every night.
    We caught some very nice fish, pretty much usual offerings...GDF hoochies and RMT stuff behind sling blades. It's not a very big lake, just have to find where they're hanging out. It's really beautiful country, have a great time and good luck!

Moorage available only if staying at the campground. Or if the house You are staying at has a private dock

Heading up there next month (18th) for a week. Tried calling the marina but no answer, anyone know when they open for the season?

We were thinking we would just anchor up and sleep on the boat. Is there a reason that a person couldn't do that?

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    We were thinking we would just anchor up and sleep on the boat. Is there a reason that a person couldn't do that?
    Some lakes have toilet requirements for the boat in order to spend the night on the boat.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

No problem, we have a toilet.
    Got me to thinking- would that be terrible job or what? Going from boat to boat after the ramp is closed checking toilets.
    I guess you would get to see some nice boats.

Default Wallowa

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    No problem, we have a toilet.
    Got me to thinking- would that be terrible job or what? Going from boat to boat after the ramp is closed checking toilets.
    I guess you would get to see some nice boats.
    The trolling area that produces is quite small at Wallowa so make sure You are not achored in the trolling lane as we start fishing at 430 am

A friend and I are heading to Wallowa at 7 AM tomorrow. Neither of us have ever been there so it will be a challenge to find where to fish. I have been fishing Kokanee for 30 years but every lake is different so we will see what happens. It is going to be a long drive about 450 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lip Ripper View Post
    A friend and I are heading to Wallowa at 7 AM tomorrow. Neither of us have ever been there so it will be a challenge to find where to fish. I have been fishing Kokanee for 30 years but every lake is different so we will see what happens. It is going to be a long drive about 450 miles.
    It may be a little out of the way but would you pick me up when your coming through. Have fun and take the camera.......

We are headed there for my B-day on the 16th, will be there the 15th, 16th and 17th. I'm really looking forward to this trip, should be a lot of fun.

managed 7 Kokes for 2 guys in 2 days. biggest 20" 3lbs 2 oz. slow fishing to say the least. 1 nice rainbow 22" and released.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5020216.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4300210.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1414  

That's a beautiful bow Brooster. Nice work.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

"Kokes and Snow"
    beautiful picture

burrrrrrrr
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Two of us went to Wallowa on Sunday and came back Thursday. We fished Monday,Tuesday and most of Wednesday. (Only in Oregon) Monday it was raining with winds at 40 MPH. Tuesday it was nice with some wind with swells at 3'. Wednesday was the best that is if you would have brought your snow shoes it snowed 12''. Have you ever tried trolling in a blinding snow storm and navigating with a compass because you could not see land at 300 yards FUN FUN FUN. We did manage 4 fish with one 22 1/2'' and 2 17 1/2'' 1 12''. We caught them on a bright silver and red flasher with a UV pink hoochie and a flame orange apex. One thing we didn't have any competition only 4 boats including us.

LP, what was the surface water temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    LP, what was the surface water temp?
    41- 42 degrees over the weekend.

Started at 6am this morning and caught 3 fish by 7am. Things then got pretty slow and didn't pick up number 4 until 1030 and finished with number 5 at 1230. The wind had finally calmed after almost two weeks of conditions that kept me off the lake. fish today were 19.5, 20.5, 22, 23.5, and a 24 with a girth of 15 inches. Total stringer weighed 20.21 pounds with the largest weighing in at 6 lbs 6 oz. Used Luhr Jensen Bolo and wedding ring with shoepeg corn.

Pimpler,

How deep were you fishing? Any photos of the fish?

John

Fishing 18 -20 feet deep on north end. Hope these photos load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0086.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0093.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	1422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0087.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0096.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	1424  

Brooster is right on on the temperature it was 41 to 42* now the air temp Wednesday that's another story with all of the snow.

Pimpler did you mark many fish up higher or were they still on the bottom? We found several over on the road side by the second white buoy from the creek on the South end. The water was 135' deep we caught 1 at 40' but it was only 12''. The others were from the marina on the West side going North to the first point in 130' trolling at 60'.
    Last edited by Lip Ripper; 05-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Those are some nice fish!

HAWGS
    save some for us fair weather fisher guys
    end of month for me

heard the ice fishermen just hammered them this past winter and early spring but they are a tight lipped few
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Default No ice, no ice fishermen

Wallowa Lake never froze this winter. It was last winter that the ice fishermen knocked them dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast