Thread: Possible new USA record Kokanee

Post Possible new USA record Kokanee

Check this out at Northwest Sportsman.com. Damn, thats a big koke.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

That's got to be a FANTASTIC LAKE for Kokes! Can't wait to wet the lines at the Gorge!

I am headed for a first hand look at whats happening at Wallowa Lake this week. Leaving Thursday early AM and taking a camera. Oh yes, 5 poles all rigged and ready to go. There's a small write up on the Wallowa Lake Marina web site. They said the action is HOT. Hard to believe that fishing is that active this early, but Wallowa lake did not freeze over this last winter.

I have a friend who lives up in that direction. You have to be prepaired to fish between 25 ft and 200 ft. Anyone going from out of state, be sure and stop and pay for your invasive species permit. They are $22.00. Forget and the Fine is $141.00

You can get your liscense and permits in Joeseph Oregon.

Thats almost to the lake!

Colors working on the lake is Pink and Chartuse.

Think kokanee
    Last edited by gonefishing; 04-05-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Geeze and I get excited about 2 pounders!

Oregon gets you for everything. You also need a Boater Education Course sticker. You can take the course on line and it's $10.00. The sticker must be on your boat to launch. I researched all this when I went to Wallowa last August. I got there a little late and the spawn had started. You can see the Kokes in the river from the bridge at the camp ground. Managed to dredge up a nice 5 punder though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportfishinsteve View Post
    Oregon gets you for everything. You also need a Boater Education Course sticker. You can take the course on line and it's $10.00. The sticker must be on your boat to launch. I researched all this when I went to Wallowa last August. I got there a little late and the spawn had started. You can see the Kokes in the river from the bridge at the camp ground. Managed to dredge up a nice 5 punder though.

No sticker is required or even exists, just the card that you have to have in your possession when operating the boat. It is the person that is licensed, not the boat. Out of state boaters are exempt unless they are boating for more than 60 days.

http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/BoatE..._got_years_ago_
    Last edited by DLM; 04-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    No sticker is required or even exists, just the card that you have to have in your possession when operating the boat. It is ther person that is licensed, not the boat. Out of state boaters are exempt unless they are boating for more than 60 days.

http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/BoatE..._got_years_ago_
    The only stickers required in Oregon are the registration stickers as far as I know. You can also have your boat examined and get a safety sticker after they check to make sure you have all the required items on board (that one is free.)
    As far as this invasive species permit, is that something new here in Oregon? When and how do they collect for that one? Is there a sticker for this also?

It is posts, pictures and events like that which prove without a doubt that I'm a jealous individual. God, please forgive me and give me one just half that size!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

[As far as this invasive species permit, is that something new here in Oregon? When and how do they collect for that one? Is there a sticker for this also?[/quote]

PM sent
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I sure hope everyone sees that the Gorge isn't the only place for monster Koks. Isn't Oregon closer to California than the Gorge? Anyway that lake grows some toads
    Rocky Mountain Tackle

The invasive species permit is new in Oregon. If you have a motorized boat here, of any size or shape, gas or electric, you must license your boat, and that license carries with it the extra fee for the permit and only that license decal is required as proof. What I don't know is the rule for boats that were licensed last year. If your boat was licensed this year, you're covered. But if your boat was licensed last year, do you have to go get a permit to get you through until you renew your boat license? We live in a wacky state with a wacky government so it wouldn't surprise me whatever the rule on that is. If any of you know the answer to this though I would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by halojm View Post
    I sure hope everyone sees that the Gorge isn't the only place for monster Koks. Isn't Oregon closer to California than the Gorge?
    Now that is just dirty
    David

DLM,

I am a native of Oregon, Born in Coos Bay. Grew up my senior youth years around Mollala. We lived out of town about 7 miles on a road that was a big loop. Over half the families that lived on that road were from California.

How do you think that that state got wacky.

No offense to you solid Californians, thats where I met my wife who was born there and we lived for 8 years after we were married.

Then back to Oregon ,over to Washington State and then I ran to Idaho to get free of the insanities of all those states.

Thank God for Idaho, fishing at the Gorge and Wallowa lake. All with out crossing over to the West side where many of my friends still suffer.

Just kidding.

Gonefishing, if I had a job there, I'd be right there with you. I've watched my home state turn totally upside-down-stupid in my lifetime. Just learned today that our lousy governer just signed in a new law requiring me to tear out my woodstove if I ever want to sell my home. I keep telling people that we need to change the name of the governers race. They call it the gubernatorial election and the stupid people of this state keep thinking they're supposed to elect the biggest goober. Fortunately, this bum is on his way out. Unfortunately, there's another loser who is running who has already wrecked 8 years of Oregon prior and will probably win. I think I'm gonna need a new place to call home soon.
    Last edited by skookum9; 04-07-2010 at 02:29 AM.