Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2010 Reports

I've got a question for those of you who are more familiar with Merwin and the koke's that are in it. First off, I didn't know that it had chinook in it until we saw it in among our catch. Then, when I got home I notice that it survived the drive home that took nearly three hours. When I tried to fillet the chinook my knife slipped right through the backbone like it wasn't even there. The meat on the chinook was more red than that of the koke's, especially the one that was completely white. But when it was fried it was a terrible disappointment, a horrible eating fish. Is there something wrong with the chinook in this lake?

The next question is about the flavor of the kokanee. These were the worst tasting kokanee I've ever eaten. They weren't bad enough to be unedible but they didn't taste like kokanee should. I'd rank them right in there with rainbow trout. Did anyone else notice the taste of these fish not being up to par for what they are? Is this typical of the koke's in this lake? If so, are the fish from Yale or Swift any better or just more of the same? I love eating kokanee but these were not the kokanee I am familiar with and don't know what to make of it. I would love to hear if anyone has any info on this, thanks.

Talking Quick Limit alone

Had a Great 45 minutes this morning and quickly got my limit and lost a bunch too, I do have to say I like the 2 rod endorsement, it seemed to work out well, 3 doubles makes a giant smile all day long, and I wasnt even going to go this morning. fished along LMCH on one long pass 300 yds from shore about

skookum9

The fish taste great to me but how was one alive 3 hours after you got off the lake, mine get a knife to the gill, sit in the live well for 5 minutes than are packed on ice, I hear the turn very fast if not properly cared for. sorry for your bad luck.

I was unaware of any Chinook planted in there but my kokanee cut differnt colors as well some super red some pink/orange

Quote Originally Posted by skookum9 View Post
    The next question is about the flavor of the kokanee. These were the worst tasting kokanee I've ever eaten. They weren't bad enough to be unedible but they didn't taste like kokanee should. I'd rank them right in there with rainbow trout. Did anyone else notice the taste of these fish not being up to par for what they are? Is this typical of the koke's in this lake? If so, are the fish from Yale or Swift any better or just more of the same? I love eating kokanee but these were not the kokanee I am familiar with and don't know what to make of it. I would love to hear if anyone has any info on this, thanks.
    I don't have a frame of reference as all the Kokanees I've caught, and eaten, came from Merwin. I'll be interesetd to see what others say.

Birds Nest, you are right that I should have gilled them but I didn't. I've been spoiled fishing so high in the mountains in the spring that gilling isn't necessary. I've never had fish turn bad on me from waiting to get home to clean them but I do like to gill them when I can. Perhaps it was the warmer water of Merwin and the time to get home that made them not taste so good. Again, it's not like they were bad, they just weren't the great koke flavor that I am familiar with. It probably was the fact that they were out of the lake so long. And congrats on a great morning of fishing. I was hoping to be out there this morning myself but some things came up that made it impossible. Maybe next time. By the way, were you trolling? And if so, how were you set up?

I am somewhat guessing on the chinook thing but one of the fish was covered in spots like a rainbow trout but a totally silver body of a salmon and had black coloring in his mouth. I'm pretty sure it was a chinook but I could be mistaken. I know that it was not a kokanee and I don't know what else it could have been but a chinook. The one thing I am sure of, I won't be keeping any more of them in the future. My catch will consist of only kokanee.

skookum9

there are landlocked chinook salmon planted in Merwin. WDFW and PacifiCorp have long range plans and have been experimenting with introducing chinook salmon into the upper N. Fork Lewis above the dams with the goal of recreating the chinook ocean spawning runs on the Upper Lewis. they have been hauling adult returned salmon around the dams and releasing up river. no experiments yet on gather and returning the smolt to below Merwin. going to be expensive but part of the grand plan to return all Wa. river systems to "native" fish run populations only. won't work with the damn dams.

doesn't work on the Columbia except for the billions of dollars spent on hauling fish, counting fish, measuring fish, radio tagging fish, chasing sea lions, buying off the native Americans with billions of $$$$ by the BPA

you ought to go see the smolt counting operation on the lower Columbia, at least $50 million invested in big boats, equipment buildings and the operation costs must be another $25 million a year.

most expensive fish in the world. the best Russian caviar doesn't cost as much.

the chinook in Merwin have a very bland flavor because the species is a predatory meat eater, not much minnow prey for them in Merwin except the kokes and the pikeminnows.
    the few that there are do grow to 24" plus.

i've noticed that the flavor of Merwin kokes and kokes out of other cold winter snow melt lakes can be not as good in the spring before the algae and small plankton they eat starts growing with increased summer sun. Merwin and Yale are very late lakes to warm because of their drainage off two high mountains with heavy snow packs and ice glaciers. but this also produces the Aug. water temps of below 58d F that kokes need to be successful. most lowland lakes in the West are too warm anymore with all the development and summer drawdown to successfully reproduce and grow good kokes.

kokes can very bland and flat until the summer feed starts producing that rich Omega 3 fat that is marbled and layered in the meat. the fish fat is what creates their great flavor.
    fresh right out of the water Alaskan sockeye have the same flavor difference compared to the jetted iced down 3 day old sockeye the stores rip off customers for $10 lb. here.
    no comparison.

I keep my kokes on a 99 cent bag of crushed ice until home
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

what we're fishing for this year. payed for and planted in 2008
    with the massive budget cuts in WDFW this year, most hatchery programs will be shut down
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/stocking/weekly/2008.pdf
    Merwin Lake
    May 12 Kokanee 43,650 7.00 Speelyai Speelyai Net Pens

2012 fishing
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/stocking/wee...erby=StockDate
    Lake/Pond Date Species Number Fish per
    Pound Hatchery Notes
    LK MERWIN (COWL)
    Cowlitz County - Region 5 Mar 12, 2010 Kokanee 22,300 8.68 Speelyai Hatchery Speelyai Net Pens
    LK MERWIN (COWL)
    Cowlitz County - Region 5 Mar 26, 2010 Kokanee 24,700 4.12 Speelyai Hatchery

does not include the variable natural spawn in Speelyai creek and several other small creeks on Merwin. WDFW used to estimate these as producing less than 5k adult size fish each year.

Yale has far more and much better koke spawning rearing streams, thus the far higher over population and small size.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 05-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Smokin' Kokes, that's some awesome information. Sounds like you know these lakes pretty well. Even if they tend to run a little smaller, if the koke's in Yale are a higher percent natural reproduction then there should be less chance of getting the white meated ones. As long as they're not too much smaller. :) Thanks for posting this info.

I'm new to this site and will be fishing Merwin and Yale a lot this summer. I don't have a downrigger and was wondering if i should attach my weight directly in front of my dodgers or have some line in between.

You can attach directly with an in-line attractor like a Ford Fender, but with a dodger or flasher I'd recommend an 18" leader to help give some swing room.

Great question. -Mack
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

No reports lately.....guess the weather has been keeping people home. I should be out at Merwin Friday for my second Friday in a row.
    Last edited by BigRedFisher; 05-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Was at the lake Sunday 5/1 weather started off a little wet but got better as the day went along. We limited out but took a good part of the day. Thought it would be a fast day though, I didn't have my line in the water 60 seconds and had the first fish in the boat. Sling blades, pink hoochies and corn were money on this day. Lots of fun had by all.

Thanks for the info!

Kokaguy1, how deep were you trolling? Did you find the fish schooled more in one place or another on the lake? Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFisher View Post
    No reports lately.....guess the weather has been keeping people home. I should be out at Merwin Friday for my second Friday in a row.
    Fisher.....
    I plan on being on the water early Fri. , Sat. & Sun! I hope to meet you there! I'll be by myself in the 18 ft. Hewes with White Sides & Black Top named "Shes So Fine".

.....Kokonuts.....Richard
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by skookum9 View Post
    Kokaguy1, how deep were you trolling? Did you find the fish schooled more in one place or another on the lake? Thanks for the post.
    Well I can't tell you exactly how deep I was trolling as I do not have a down rigger however I can tell you I was out 45ft (per my line counter) with 2oz of weight?

As far as schooling fish goes, it was a weird deal, when we were marking fish they were scattered and we didn't get a single hit but when the screen was blank we were catching fishing. Sorry I know thats not much help.

I'll tell you this we should have stayed right in the area just outside os spiliyi (spelling) as thats where we got 3 hits and 2 fish right off the bat but we didn't stay there. Oh well live and learn.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Well, another disappointing day at Merwin for me. I think it's getting to be too late in the year at this low of elevation for my surface jigging to be as effective. The kokes didn't seem to be on the surface like they were a couple of weeks ago. We didn't get to the lake until about 8am so we missed out on anything that may have happened in the morning bite. The evening bite really started to get reasonably good but we had to leave about that time so they could lock up the gate. During the rest of the day it was just one long, slow boat ride, a bored to tears boat ride.

We did see several other boats on the water who seemed to be putting fish in their boats at a reasonable rate, nothing fast but at least acceptable. Everyone we spoke with was very kind and offerred lots of advice, especially the guys in the C-dory. We tried our level best to follow all of this advice at one point or another but with almost zero success. Until the evening bite picked up we only had one fish in the boat apiece. I did lose a few fish at the back of the boat but not a lot.

Not a great report but it's how things went for us. I think this lake is going to have to wait for next spring to see me again, unless I hear of something worthwhile happening up there. Many thanks to all who were so kind and helpful to us. I don't know how many of you from here were there but I did recognize Kokonut's boat, "She's So Fine". I think this lake will fish great about next February and I fully intend to hit it then. I just can't do the all day troll and only catch maybe 5 or ten fish, I'm too impatient for that. Happy fishing to everyone.

In reviewing Smokin' Kokes Merwin planting information I was struck at the large size at which the kokanee were planted.

Fish that 4 to 8 to the pound are near catchable trout size (5 to 8 inches). Is it common in many waters that the kokanee are planted at such a large size? Up my way a kokanee of 100/# would be a large fish at the time of release and most planted at only a inch or so in length

I have to wonder if the bland taste attributed to the early season fish is due in at least part that much of their bulk was derived from a hatchery diet. And only after the fish grow substantial that they take on the more traditional kokanee taste - just thinking out loud.

Tight lines
    Curt

Smalma, you may very well be onto something, I don't know. I think that is more likely than this being too early in the year. From what I've read, plankton are a mainstay of many species of fish during ice over times because that is the only thing there is to eat so not having the right food isn't really a problem. We haven't eaten the new koke's from Saturday's fishing yet but they were all very soft. That was after bleeding them while on the water and then putting them on ice as soon as we could. I was hoping to try the koke's from Yale but I think I might just wait until next spring to do that.

I was out Fri. & Sat. this week and had no problems getting 5 in about 3 hours. Started about 7 both days.
    I am still using the same setups, Pink/ Copper Dodger with Pink , White, Blue beads and a Pink /white splatter blade then a Chartreuse / Chrome with Charteruse , white, beads on the 2nd pole. I did switch over to a small Lake Troll with 2 chrome / brass blades that I made up, it also worked very well but has more drag than the Dodgers.

All of my corn is still in the cans waiting to see if the Pink Berkley Maggots stop working so well!

On Sat. I dropped dowm to 20 & 25ft. and really connected with them. Sat. was a BEAUTIFUL day and a little warmer that the last few weeks. The sun was out all morning so I think that made them drop down a little.

Snookum... Nice to meet you out on the water.

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Fished Merwin several times in the past month, nice little fish but SLOW. If they didn't taste so good I wouldn't bother. Middle of the day is usually very slow, picks up in the evening. Fish seem to be scattered all over the lake, one place is about as good as another. Looking forward to next weekend, out to Patterson, hopefully 80 degrees and 75-100 bass!

Default Merwin 5-13-10 report

Well It was tough yesturday. There was a early bite on top after we got on the water around 6:30. We landed 4, lost another 6. Using Pink Hoochies with glow beads above hooks. Also landed 2 on Father Murphy's Ghost Bugs. Both were tipped with Gulp Maggots and DNA scent. I ran 000 Dodgers 10 inches above with Glow Flash Tape.

A few where hit on the surface, one down at 45 feet, and the rest were hit around 30-33 ft with downriggers.

Fished from 6:30 to around 1:30

Rod

Default Merwin 5-13

I took the afternoon off and fished Merwin for the first time ever. Armed with nothing but the great information I gleened from this forum and a general idea of how to go about things.

Put in at Speelyai at around 2:30. The parking lot was very full. Talked to a couple of guys to find out the bite was slow. The water temp was 58deg. with not much wind.

I forgot the downrigger and the electric motor, so I rigged up a macs flashlite, 1oz. lead with a green wedding with a silver blade tipped with shoepeg and started trolling at 25 to 30 pulls. No action for the first hour. Checked my speed by gps at 1.1 to 1.4

Then I noticed I was in naughtical MPH. changed over to miles per hour and saw that I was trolling at 1.6 to 2mph. Threw out a drift sock and got it down to .8mph and got hit by a very nice 13" Kokanee. My very first one landed by me when targeting them.

Used a great tip I got from here about putting the rod tip in the water when the fish starts to go airborne to get it swimming instead of jumping.

Trolled around for another hour for two drivebys with no hookups.

Great day on the lake and I will be going again real soon. Thanks again for the great information that is shared here.

Peace, Tom

Good reports!!! I'm just going to have to make the 90 mile drive south to check it out. Been catching plenty of fish but not much for size.

I will be on the water tomorrow am. It is finally my first trip of the year for Kokanee. I am going to try out some new gear, a down rigger and a Vance Staplin rod. Looks like I may have missed some great fishing, but even if I am just out for a boat ride, it sure beats the alternatives. Hope to see you out there!

welcome to the affliction of koke fever.
    like the way you worked out the speed, pattern and bite for the day.

yup, we're in the downrigger season now.
    wait until you hookup a big one on light tackle, just a hoochie off the release, no weight. he comes off the DR release and goes Space Shuttle launch as a guy is setting there half asleep. comes out of the water 3 ft and does an aerial ballet flashing in the sunlight.
    what was that as one wakes up
    FISH ON.

they get really aggressive later in the season

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast