Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2010 Reports

Most likely barring any wind this weekend, I will be there with my two girls to get their first fish.

I will be in the Alumaweld Stryker with my KFF sticker.

John

Default Merwin Friday

I will be out there Friday morning at around 8. I have a 16 aluminum Valco (old school) boat with only my electric trolling motor so it will be easy to find me out there with no motor. My motor died on me but it will not keep me off the water.... Say hi if you see me out there and thank you for your tips. I am off to buy some Gulp Maggots... I will posted my success Friday night....

Default Hot Pink

Yes, i would state also go with the Hot pink gulp maggots. Also look at putting on some DNA Kokanee Scent which is also pink on your lure that combo is a Win Win. If you have a tandem hook rig put 2 on the top and one on the bottom seems to be the best set up.

May also suggest having a few different rolls of flash tape to help change colors on your dodgers. I just recently used a half and half silver/nickel with Glow Flash the other day. Chartruese and Hot Pink are some other good ones to have.

Good Luck out there and put some in the boat!!!

Rod -Duroboat Rider

Took the boss fishing today and got 2 limits very quickly this morning with 2 doubles. The Kokes were right on top this morning. I used two rods with flasher and pink hoochie. Kept the leader length from flasher to hoochie/snubber about 9 inches. Gulp Maggots for Tipping. I also tried out two rigs with flashers and Father Murphy's bugs (ghost bug) in pink/glow. Tipped them also with maggots and took 4 all the biggest fish were caught with these. Scented with DNA Scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Duroboat Rider View Post
    Took the boss fishing today and got 2 limits very quickly this morning with 2 doubles. The Kokes were right on top this morning. I used two rods with flasher and pink hoochie. Kept the leader length from flasher to hoochie/snubber about 9 inches. Gulp Maggots for Tipping. I also tried out two rigs with flashers and Father Murphy's bugs (ghost bug) in pink/glow. Tipped them also with maggots and took 4 all the biggest fish were caught with these. Scented with DNA Scent.

Sounds like a good time was had!

Default sunday

19 for 20 we started fishing at 2:30 and went home around 6:00 apex and red wedding ring tipped with corn or pink maggots worked great.

Default 4-19-10

Fished from 0730-1000 and got 10 to the boat with a buddy of mine. Probably lost another 5 that didn't stick. I've only limited on this lake three times in the past two years and this by far my quickest.

Fished across from Speelyai on the south shore. Caught fish at 15-25 feet on downriggers. Both rods running a lake troll off the cannonball and lure set 4-5 feet above the ball and about 20-30 feet back. (A big thank you to those that taught me this on my last post on attaching lake trolls!) One rod running a red WR and one a green WR both with silver spinners. Both baited with corn. My buddy told me it was scented but when I got home I gave it a good once over and found it was plain old corn! I did pick up one on a red hoochie and gulp maggots but switched over quickly when my buddy was out fishing me.

Water temp was 51.5-52. Up 6 degrees from last week! It appears they are starting to school a bit because I could finally mark them and then start getting hits. Hope that helps.

The attached picture is of my first mate that greatly enjoyed the day. It was enough action he didn't even get bored and take a nap! Good luck to all - I'm back again Wednesday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newsome.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	1366  

Red face Merwin 4/18/10

Wife and I were out on Merwin as well Sunday the fishing was outstanding, pink Pee Wee, a little corn and a UV sling blade was our ticket to 2 limits. A great day out on the water but a disappointing day at the ramp...it never fails to amaze me the number of people that don't have any idea about ramp edicate .....

Default Great reports

it seems they will bite anything right now, im inquizitive on how you guys are rigging the trolls up to the ball. i just put the trolls on my main line and do just fine. if some one could snap a pic next time it would be great. i run my release clip off the other side of the ball.

Gene, it's not that fishing with your trolls inline isn't effective enough, it's that it robs you of some of the great fight that those koke's put up. When you put that troll on the 'rigger and just run a drag free line back to your lure, you're in for a lot more fun when you connect. If you haven't tried it then you're overdue. It is definitely worth the effort to learn to fish this way. In my opinion, it's half of the purpose of using a 'rigger in the first place.

Default Agree with Skookum9

- Exactly what Skookum9 said. That's the whole reason I spent the xtra money for the downriggers. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of the rigging when fishing tomorrow.

Default Fun in the sun!

Fished Sunday with my dad (visiting from the east coast), my retired neighbor and 5 yr old son. We had a blast! 19 kokes and a nice 15" rainbow filled the cooler. Green, green , and more green was the ticket, but by looking at the reports I'd say that right now, anything will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    it seems they will bite anything right now, im inquizitive on how you guys are rigging the trolls up to the ball. i just put the trolls on my main line and do just fine. if some one could snap a pic next time it would be great. i run my release clip off the other side of the ball.
    How about a video? Scroll down to... "attractors on your downrigger weight"
    http://www.vancestackle.com/tips.html

you guys are killing the kokes in the early season. last year was wet, cold, windy and miserable in April. mildest winter i've seen in years.

one way to get enough drop back and still have a light tackle fight in early season cold water where the kokes are still near the surface is use a hand line of 50ft of 100 lb mono or the same mono as a drop back off the ball clip.
    run the release clip off the end of the mono to the sling blade and lure.
    i also like to use trolls 4>5 blade Cowbells.
    i rig them ball>50ft 100 lb mono>Cowbell>release>sling blade-lure.

the heavy mono doesn't self knot like heavy dacron braid. i pull it in with ball at surface and instead of bringing mono hand line in boat, i just let the surplus back in the water until i get to the release. easy to store, it self coils up

also works well to get the the Cowbells and lure back flatlining with no weight when the kokes are surface cruising.

going to try a planer board this year to get out to the side early season.

worn out from springer season. need a solid week of quiet koke fishing before the water skiers and jet rockets show up.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Default 04/16 at Merwin

Great day of course. Had a ton of fish using ford fenders, pink wedding rings and pink gulp maggots...thanks for the tips on the maggots guys....was an amazing day out there. Had our limit in just a few short hours.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee Trip to Merwin.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1375  

lock at the hog bellys on rip lips kokes.
    never seen such heavy gutted kokes for this early in Merwin.
    look like late July fish.

algae feed must be thick as soup

Those are beauties! I am so jealous! Haven't been able to get out yet, my kids are in baseball, been working on a project vehicle, and of course work keeps getting in the way

Default 4-24-10

I was able to make it to the lake yesterday to as my wife said, "Get my fix." The weatherman got it right, 50% chance of rain, and it rained at least half the time I was there. I fished from 1-2:20p.m. and landed three. One was fresh from the hatchery (maybe 9") so he went back in the water.

I marked several good schools at depths from 15-45'. The new two pole option worked out, and I managed a double which felt like a chinese firedrill. For gear I had one rig with a green Sierra dodger and homemade spinner, and the other was a green RMT flasher with a hoochie. The keepers were already around 14" so late summer these schools will have some big fish.

Kokonuts, it looked like you had a boatfull that was enjoying the fact that you have a covered area during the rain
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-24-10 Merwin.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1385
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Default 4-25-10

My wife and I hit the water at 0700 and had 6 fish in the first hour.....then it took us the rest of the day to get the other 4 plus several dinks. BEAUTIFUL weather. 15'-18' feet on the downrigger. All the keepers were 12"-13" and fat.
    Last edited by Mark McWillis; 04-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.

I finally got to try Merwin out yesterday for the first time ever. I want to say thanks to all who I ran into out there who were willing to share info to help us hook up, everyone was very nice and helpful. If any of you were among those, thank you very much. The advice we got from other fishermen was not at all consistent but we tried a little of what everyone was saying. It seemed like quite a few others were having some success trolling and that is what my father and my uncle were most interested in doing so that is how we spent the day. I was in the bow of the boat much of the time trying to use jigs as best I could while the boat was in motion. The previous post was right about the weather, 50% of the time it was decent and 50% it was not good.

The trolling for us was slow at best. We got a late start but fished all the rest of the day with only two koke's and a squaw fish to show for it. Although they did get some other short strikes. By the end of the day my uncle had gotten a little too cold so we let him go to the truck to get warm while we went out for the last few minutes to give the jigs a try. In maybe 15 minutes or so of fishing with the jigs we had three fish in the boat, had lost a couple of others and had a number of other strikes. Jigs will definitely work on this lake and from what I saw yesterday they will work well. It was a fun day even if it wasn't an overly productive one. I look forward to hitting it again soon if I get the chance.

skookum

great intel report especially on the jig fishing kokes, something i'm still trying to learn.
    what type, color and depth with the jigs?
    jigging method, slow or rapid jerk and how much vertical movement? like walleye?

cliff

one nice thing about Merwin's nasty weather wind and rain, it keeps the water skiers and jet jockeys away

Fished at Merwin Sat. & Sun, I had a couple of fishing buddies on the boat with their 5 year old Sons! It was a wild & crazy Day, just like the weather! We all workred had to get 15 nice Kokanee and it was another Great Day at the Lake! I cant post pictures now , I left the camera at the Lake.

Mack, Sorry I missed you in the rain, Greg & I were talking about the Get Together in June & we cant wait!

Kokonuts.....
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Kokonuts - congrats on the good fishing. Cant wait to see the pics!

Smokin'Kokes,

I basically fished it the same way I do at Odell and Wickiup, nothing really special to it. I used a pink and white Gibbs in the 1/2 oz and the 1/4 oz models. I've never fished for walleye so I couldn't say about that but I just cast out and waited a couple of seconds and then began to jig the lure back to the boat. Sometimes I would let it sink for several seconds before I began jigging it back but most of the kokes seemed to be willing to come up to the top few feet even if they weren't already there. I actually watched one come darting up from the depths right below the boat as my jig came to the boat. I stopped the jig and let it set there and sure enough he came and gave it a good bite but it didn't stick so he got away. Pretty cool to watch anyway, it was only 3 or 4 feet below the boat when he came charging up. In general, I prefer to cast to the fish I can spot rising, but with the wind and all, most of my casts were made "blind" fishing and the kokes just seemed to hit it anyway.

I don't know how much I am going to make it up to Merwin or Yale this spring but you are welcome to give me a holler anytime and see if I can meet up with you and show you first hand what I do. The very best time to fish this way is anytime the fish are showing on the surface and this is usually the first couple of hours in the morning and the last couple of hours in the evening. But with that said, it will still work all day long, it's just that you will have to have some faith in it and not give up just because you aren't seeing the fish.

Skookum9,

Thanks for the jigging info. All this time I was thinking you were vertical jigging on suspended fish, not casting. That's the kind of info that makes this site so cool.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast