Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2010 Reports

Default Merwin 2010 Reports

Please post your Merwin fishing reports here.

Tight lines and easy limits :)
    -Mack
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Default 4-1-10

Sure I'll post my Merwin report hear. After an early morning work session I packed up headed to Portco to fish springers on the Columbia. Much to my dismay the lot was packed and parked to Columbia Way. Not my idea of a relaxing day fishing.

Back home - repack with koke gear and on the water at 1100 am. Surprised to see about 15 rigs in the lot, but FAR better then the river.

Trolled outside speelyai bay for a bit and then joined everyone on the other side of the lake. Had several hits and misses, 4 good take downs on the line and then off before even close to the boat. While I was taking a pee break the wife hooks and lands two before I can finish natures calling!

I fished flat line about 40-60 feet behind the boat. Brass dodger with brass / black / red wedding ring (gulp maggots) on one. The other was a pink and silver dodger with green and white wedding ring (worms).

Probably would have done better if I had my downriggers along (no time to charge the battery for that). I marked several fish closer to the 20-30 foot range and I'm pretty sure I was not down that far. Much more enjoyable day than springer fishing. Saw several others caught.

Great report.

I drove over the I-5 bridge yesterday and agree, it was a parade of fishing boats on the river.

Springer fishing is rediculous why bother. Look at the reports.450 boats 29 fish, 367 boats 21 fish, 1025 boats 45 fish I mean come on people figure it out.....thats just stupid fishing and a huge waste of time and money! I go fishing to relax and catch a few fish these people are into it for the galmor fish I guess, big deal. I mean who wants to spend all that time at the ramps dealing with all those people, I DON'T! The facts are that there are a select few fisherman that catch the majority of the fish, they'll read this and say I'm goofy and I get that, but come on, for the common folks running around in their $35,000 fishing machines..... it takes more then a nice boat to catch these fish...hellooooo. That's my rant for the day.
    Now, for those of you who wish to fish the Columbia for springers I want to thank you all for providing my wife and I with all the enterainment while we sit on the deck at WhoSongs and have lunch watching no one catch a darn thing. Oh...by the way for those of you who want to say...I'm a guy who's just jealious of the people who can afford a $35,000 fishing boat....don't bother I have one!

Understood Kokaguy. We'll watch for you on the lake (or on the deck at Who Song's as they sing "guacamole").

Let's not hijack the report thread and switch to Springers or this could get tricky.

MackPrince
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Fished today from about 1-3:15 and got my limit of Kokanee. A good day to be on the water and to fine tune before my trip to Wallowa. It has been 3 years, and I can't wait to get back.

Tight Lines!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LakeMerwin43smalllimit.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	1267  

Quote Originally Posted by RibOwner View Post
    Fished today from about 1-3:15 and got my limit of Kokanee. A good day to be on the water and to fine tune before my trip to Wallowa. It has been 3 years, and I can't wait to get back.

Tight Lines!

Nice going! Must be nice to get the rust off.. With the weather we have having lately, everything will be getting more rusty!

what did you catch them on very interested ! may be on my way next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by RibOwner View Post

Tight Lines!

how deep and with what Rib ! do tell need the inside scoop may be on my way soon.

Gene

Nice Fish RibOwner!!! Been watching the reports on Merwin for quite a while and may have to make the 90 mile trip south to check it out.

Default Merwin April 7th

The fishing was fantastic yesterday,, we went out at about 11:30 and after loosing about 30 fish we finally ended up with our limit, Pink wedding rings ford fender bronze with .5 oz weight on the flasher, line counter at 47 ft so I figured we where fishing around 20-25 feet. 10 fish by 3pm and just beat the weather off the lake, couldnt ask for a better Wednesday! Get on out while the fishing is hot

Quote Originally Posted by Birds Nest View Post
    The fishing was fantastic yesterday,, we went out at about 11:30 and after loosing about 30 fish we finally ended up with our limit, Pink wedding rings ford fender bronze with .5 oz weight on the flasher, line counter at 47 ft so I figured we where fishing around 20-25 feet. 10 fish by 3pm and just beat the weather off the lake, couldnt ask for a better Wednesday! Get on out while the fishing is hot

Very nice. I may have to take the drive down there sooner than later! Thanks for your report..

Default Merwin 04-11-10

My wife and I fished Merwin today, for the first time. In the water about 0700. Tried green and chartreuse spinners and Apexes, at varying depths with no luck. Switched to a red Apex and a homemade red hoochie spinner at 1000 and we started catching fish. Wound up with 12 on and 10 in the cooler. The hoochie spinner caught 7 and the Apex caught 3. 15' deep with pink gulp maggots on both hooks. Sling blade dodgers with 12" leader.

Lots of sticks and logs in the water. Water temp 45° air temp up to 63° some wind but no big deal.

Default Merwin 4-11-2010

Hello all,

went to Merwin today awsome day !~ lake was glass at the time we got there 0800. after a phone call to Kokonuts (who had landed 2 before I had arived ) told me to fish at 10 feet and behold 10 minutes in double hook up me and my father in law same time !! he was on a plain jane walmart red wedding ring, with shoe peg corn and willow leaf lake troll, little pro cure carp spit, as for me same except I had a pink splatter uv spinner made by radical glow, stayed with the same all day didnt have to change a thing, water temp 44, depth 10 feet. key to the day was speed change we wold be at 1.3 mph jump to 1.8-2 mph and wham !! right in the middle of the speed change. fished across from Speli up twords the dam about a half mile on other side. needless to say action all day some hits before I could even click into the clip ! limits for both of us !! pics to follow... thanks Richard, give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him how, feed him for a lifetime. seen you out there Mark.....nice wake LOL!

Name:	genes boat 002.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genes boat 001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1333  
    Last edited by Gene; 04-11-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    My wife and I fished Merwin today, for the first time. In the water about 0700. Tried green and chartreuse spinners and Apexes, at varying depths with no luck. Switched to a red Apex and a homemade red hoochie spinner at 1000 and we started catching fish. Wound up with 12 on and 10 in the cooler. The hoochie spinner caught 7 and the Apex caught 3. 15' deep with pink gulp maggots on both hooks. Sling blade dodgers with 12" leader.

Lots of sticks and logs in the water. Water temp 45° air temp up to 63° some wind but no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Hello all,

went to Merwin today awsome day !~ lake was glass at the time we got there 0800. after a phone call to Kokonuts (who had landed 2 before I had arived ) told me to fish at 10 feet and behold 10 minutes in double hook up me and my father in law same time !! he was on a plain jane walmart red wedding ring, with shoe peg corn and willow leaf lake troll, little pro cure carp spit, as for me same except I had a pink splatter uv spinner made by radical glow, stayed with the same all day didnt have to change a thing, water temp 44, depth 10 feet. key to the day was speed change we wold be at 1.3 mph jump to 1.8-2 mph and wham !! right in the middle of the speed change. fished across from Speli up twords the dam about a half mile on other side. needless to say action all day some hits before I could even click into the clip ! limits for both of us !! pics to follow... thanks Richard, give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him how, feed him for a lifetime. seen you out there Mark.....nice wake LOL!

Sounds like a great day was had by all. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Great reports guys.
    -Mack

Default Merwin Is HOT!

I fished Merwin Sunday with Gene & Kenny & it was really a BLAST! We couldnt have ordered better weather or Better Fishing!!

The fish were in the top 10 ft. I was using 2 poles & 2 DRs. I had 1 set at 2ft. & 1 at 8 ft. about 50 to 80 ft. behind the boat. I didnt get any doubles but twice I had just lost one when the 2 pole went off! I really have to warn you when running 2 poles close to the surface...MAKE BIG TURNS!
    Nuff Said, I wont admit to anything!

I was using Brass 2 blade flashers , a pink /copper colored dodger with a Pink Hoochie, and a green large salmon blade spinner with glow beads in Pink, Green, White set up with a painted spinner blade in front.

I also used Pink Maggots on everything, never even got time to try the corn!

I had another friend who left just in front of me from the hideaway marina with his wife about 8:00, they had their 10 and had left the Marina before I came in at 12:00 with my 5!! I saw a lot of people hooking up all along the South Side all morning, thats why I say Get Out There Now!

.....Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Default Great Day even for a WET Monday

4-12-10 Hit Merwin in the early morning bite as with the other recent reports fish are on top. I also utilized my two downriggers and set one at 6 ft, the other at 8 ft running a pink hoochie with a few soft glow beads to help push the skirt up a bit, gulp maggots, and always DNA scent. Utilzed a dodger with glow flash tape and put 5 in the boat quick. Fantastic early season fishing!!!

You guys are all killing me. It doesn't look like I will get out till the first week of May.

Work is S-l-o-w for me this week, Its really tough being semi retired! Soooo I'll be at my RV & fishing the rest of the week! See You There!

Kokonuts.......
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

At the ramp at 0630 with duraboat I believe. Sorrow I didn't introduce myself as a KFF guy. It didn't hit me until after you left and noticed that you were in a duraboat. Go figure!

Rainy morning with water surface temp 45.5 to 46ish. Ran on top at 30 pulls with red/black WR with a dodger. Not much for an hour. Switched to a green WR and a dodger and changed to scented corn instead of gulp maggots. Rod didn't even make it into the holder. I worked pretty hard for my 5 fish by noon but it was fun.

I noticed duroboat was hooking up a bit more than me so I decided to join in his downrigger games. Caught three on the service and two on DR at 16 feet. Thanks for the intel duraboat. Hope your puppy warmed up.

Name:	Firstlimit.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1338  

Bluknight, those my friend are some nice looking fish!!

Default gulp maggots

What color of Maggots are you guys using? I am planning on heading out there Friday morning with a few buddies for the first time this year! Yeehaww

Default Maggots

the hot pink ones worked for me on Sunday, before I could get my line in the release got one on. Kokonuts gave me a hand full to try and didnt put them down the rest of the day !

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast