Thread: Fishing line choice

Default Fishing line choice

Hey guys, I will soon be re spooling my reel for next year and was wondering what your opinions were on what type of line to use for trolling for the mighty koke's? I most likely will go with Stren magnathin in either the 10# or 12# test because I like the fact that it has the smaller diameter of the next size down. But what I was wondering the most is weather or not it should have any stretch to it considering I already use a snubber for that reason. So should I go for fluorocarbon or mono filament? I have used Ande line and Cajun line in the past with Ande line being my favorite, and they do have a certain amount of stretch to them. So what do you use and or suggest?

I use 10 lb berkley vanish floural.

Any particular reason or is that just what you chose to use?

I like the idea of the line disappearing, berkley because of the reputation, 10 lb because it is pretty universal.

I use 12-15 lb test Super100 or 6-8kg lo-stretch platypus line
    --The line is very consistant spool to spool and is IGFA rated... that is it will break fairly close to or just under the lbs tests indicated.
    --Not really much of a line changer usually use the line at least two seasons.
    --I use soft tip rods no snubber so not an issue with the lo-stretch line.
    --Actually use the lo-stretch in pink... as red spectrum dissapears quickly at depth but can see on surface also easy to identify which line I'm using.
    --Super100 comes in clear or brown I usually use clear

--I use stealth fluorocarbon but only between dodger and spoon or hoochie... not for low vis but for stiffness which gives more action to the trailing lure when desired.
    --I don't find kokanee to be line shy but I do use these rigs when buck tailing for larger trout although sometimes move up to 20 lb test in winter for the trout... thin diameter is also good for running plugs with no weight or allows for use of little weight. I have recently started using the downriggers for depth control even when long lining rather than attaching weight direct to the lines.

here is another nice line choice thread from the archives:
    http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...t-casting-reel
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks guys for your help, I ended up going with the Stren magnathin line for next year.