Thread: New Oregon State Record Kokanee

Default New Oregon State Record Kokanee

NEWS FROM OREGONS WALLOWA LAKE.......

A WOMEN CAUGHT A---- 8.26 lb.-- 251/2 "--- KOKANEE YESTERDAY! ...NO PICTURES YET ...MORE INFO TO COME.....

KOKONUTS
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I heard rumor of this a few days ago as well... heard it was off a weeding ring and flashers. I'm guessing the press will break soon on this.
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

About 3 State records ago I thought this lake would be fun to visit. Now I'm imagining this place looking like Berryessa on the weekends. I've also heard that this lake is small. I like big Kokes but not a fan of combat fishing for them.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The lake is small... smaller than Berryessa by a long shot. About 5 miles long and 2-3 miles wide at most and was formed by a glacier a gazillion years ago. It's a fairly fragile and cyclical fishery as they rely on natural spawn and it has one feeder creek headwater that is snow fed and runs pretty shallow in the summer based on runoff. From what I know they do not plant it either but I could be wrong on this. The stars that align every few years to coordinate with the mysis shrimp in the lake allow the Kokanee to Gorge on them help bring about certain good years for Kokanee.

My intel for this incident reports that the fish was caught on Wednesday and "certified" on Thursday morning. It apparently was caught on a Mack's Double Whammy behind a multiple bladed troll.

I have some pics but don't know how to post them. I will forward them to HiTechKoke, if anyone can get them posted he can.

Yep... I've received the photos now from 4 different sources....lol. Here's 3 of them that were not fuzzy. Nice fish as expected.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1241  

I think we just moved from fillet's to steaks. OMG

I wish we could have seen that one on your cameras HiTech.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    About 3 State records ago I thought this lake would be fun to visit. Now I'm imagining this place looking like Berryessa on the weekends. I've also heard that this lake is small. I like big Kokes but not a fan of combat fishing for them.
    This is not what I'd call a small lake, but its smaller than Berryessa. I have fished Wallowa off & on since the 90's and have never seen it crowded like the CA lakes. I have fished there in both June & July and except for holidays its rarely crowded. A majority are fishing from the bank for trout. Most of the anglers there do not really know how to target kokes. Most people are here for the scenery (beautiful alpine/high mountain), back country hiking and the "arty" town of Joseph.
    As already said, the koke size & population is very cyclical. But when its in the up cycle you want to be there. No combat fishing at Wallowa.

This year may be different. I know of a couple of dozen groups that have never fish Wallowa before are heading there this year. We'll just have to see how the kokanee population responds. I am sure there will be nice economic benefit from fishermen this year.

Yeah, so FRG, when are you going?? I have made my reservations.

hey guys,new to the forum but lived in wallowa co. all our lives. we are going to the lake tomorrow for our 4th time this year.we caught 2 small kokes and a 18 and a 27 inch rainbow so far.

Default Wallowa

Quote Originally Posted by capron6 View Post
    We will be there May 24-28. Black Hewes and a white Motion Marine. Will be tied up to dock in front of house we are staying at, which is at the point about 3/4 mile from the ramp. Stop and say hi if around.

The interesting thing about this is that if IGFA requirements had been met it would eclipse the largest line class WORLD RECORD Kokanee by MORE THAN TWO POUNDS!
    Last edited by Mark McWillis; 03-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capron6 View Post
    I don't have plans to go yet. I may make it over like everyone else. But it does worry me that we, me included, might have a negative impact on the fishery. Time will tell if there were be enough big fish left to keep the shrimp in check.

capron, best of luck when you head over.

holy crap is all I have to say. Lets send everyone to Wallowa away fron the gorge. LMAO
    Tacklebox mafia
    Utah predator callers

I fished Wallowa lake last week Thursday to Saturday. From Thursday on the fishing got slower and slower. The locals most of whom were jigging, checked out. We caught 2 /19-20 " fish. Lost two at the back of the boat, my fault. Tracked alot of big fish in the water. There are some big fish there.

Alot of fish laying on the bottom and in deep water. Some laying down at the 200 + ft depth.

On Sat most of boats were at the south end boat launch where the action was were trolling with a few jigging. Thinned out as the day wore on with little or very light action, except a couple of boats bringing in a few 8-10" fish.

Water temp ranged from 39.4 to a high of 39.8. The air was warming through Saturday.

I'll head back for a week in June, but headed to the Gorge and fishing local between now and then.
    Last edited by gonefishing; 04-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Good Lord....NICE FISH! Love to smoke that baby up....yummmmmmmmmmmmm