Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky Peak Kokes

Good luck boys. I should have kicker bracket out of the shop tomorrow and be back in business by the week-end.

Dean and I hit it today. We caught a bunch of trout and only a couple of Kokes. Turned out to be a beautiful day after the wind died down.

Quote Originally Posted by metalheadgene View Post
    Good luck boys. I should have kicker bracket out of the shop tomorrow and be back in business by the week-end.
    Did Rick take care of you? The Bay kit on my kicker is awsome!!!! QUite a difference.

Well...inquiring minds want to know??

Yea Mel...Rick did a great job. He took the 3/16 material off the sides and replace it with 7/16 along with the flanges...tiggid all the way around.

Is it me or is this just a bunch more trout in Locky Peak this year?

According to a fish and game guy they stocked a bunch of trout in there. All the ones we caught are cookie cutter fish. It gives you something to do between Koke bites.......

how deep? I have been marking tons of fish around 12-20 ft. But I have heard they are getting them at 40+

Quote Originally Posted by 3RivrFishr View Post
    Uboat, your leadcore has been fishing longer than I have.
    And it is older than I am. Glad you guys got into a few. It is to nice up here and I have to work 12s. I know. More money for Gear! LIL

Quote Originally Posted by clearwaterb View Post
    how deep? I have been marking tons of fish around 12-20 ft. But I have heard they are getting them at 40+
    We had 6 colors on the lead lines and 45' on the downrigger...... trolling very slow...

Default Advice Needed!

Hello,

I need some advice on catching Kokes at Lucky Peak. My dad LOVES to troll but his health is failing and I am not sure how many more productive years he has. I have taken him fishing at LP the last couple of years in late June and early July. We have caught a few Kokes but nothing to brag about. I would love to get some advice so, hopefully, we can catch a few more. Is there an area that seems to be more productive? The last few years we have fished near some cliffs with the Dam about a mile away. What type of rigs seem to work best? What is the best time of year to fish for Kokes at LP? We only have one downrigger and also lead core line. I know that we are not setup the best so and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and good luck fishing!

Maybe you could catch a ride with one of the regulars here from that lake and they could give you a quick little lesson. It seems like that would be a good bit faster than just reading advice from here. From what you've said about your dad it sounds like time is of the essence. They started the hitchhiker thread here and that seems like just the place to start. Not to say that you should turn down the advice that others will offer, just that it might be good to have someone show you the ropes first hand. I'm mostly a jigger rather than a troller and so I really have very little to offer you for advice, and I only fish here in Oregon and Washington so I don't know LP at all. But I do wish you all the best of luck in your pursuit. I hope you and your dad will be able to have an absolute blast this summer. Good luck!

Went out this afternoon for a couple of hours. Nice weather when the wind let up. Fishing was slow with only two kokes in the boat. Saw a couple of other boats land a fish but it looked slow for the most part. Hopefully some more warm weather will kick them in gear. Surface temp was still in the mid to low 40's.

we go 6 in 4 hours of trolling. Very strange out there. We marked tons of fish at 38 feet when we got there and they started rising to 17 feet by the time we were done. Could not drum up a bite with leaded line. The down rigger was the only savior. Got 1 at 25, 23,20 and 3 at 17 feet.

Default Looking for the carry over fish

Hit 'em good on Sunday. First time all year we did not catch any trout at all. Picked up 20 or so from 7 'till noon. I've been hearing whispers about some carry over fish running approx 3 lbs but have not seen any. Have any of you?

Zimowsky started that rumor in the Statesman. I will believe that when I see it! Way to go on your Sunday fishing. Could you tell me where you found them? I have been wondering if they are still concentrated down by the dam (Lucky Peak) or have they begun to move towards Spring Shores? Mike

We were in the canyon just downstream from spring shores. On Sunday i could have just said "look for all the boats", there were more than a dozen boats in the same spot trolling around. There were two or three boats doing really well, and the only thing I could figure was that the others were just going too fast. I usually alternate faster/slower until I find a good speed, but Sunday I never got any faster than the slowest idle, about .8 to 1.0 mph on the GPS.

Thanks for the info. You live up to your forum name!!! Keep hammerin' em! Mike

Sounds like Salmonmonster has it figured out. Congrates. I was thinking of making a run up to the canyon, but chose to spend my limited time at the dam. Guess that was a bad call. Will have more time next week to try a few more locations. Guess I will have to put the canyon on the list.

We have a group of guys that go on Wednesday afternoons and call it "Men's League". We went up Wednesday after work, fished the same area and only caught 4 on our boat, and each of the other boats caught 3, so they may be on the move.

Hit 'em good again today. My wife talked me into sleeping in. We got to the lake around 9:30. Caught two limits of kok's by 1:00. We turned loose as many trout as we kept kokanee. Nice kok's all around 17 inches. We fished near the dam. All fish around 30 feet. We actually had 2 passes through the same spot, both times all 4 downriggers went off, and we landed 7 of the 8. With the net busy, I bassmastered a couple over the rail. One hit my wife in the head. She was not impressed.

Talking

Very impressive....we worked pretty hard to catch 15 (3 of us) fishing from 9 am up until 5pm....mostly up river from the dam but ended the day with the last 2 by the dam. Ranging from 14 inches to 17 inches. About 45 feet down up in the Canyon.....You should change your name to Salmonmaster

Geno, do you have any advice about getting your tires checked before a trip on the freeway? :) Just ribbing you bud...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Geno, do you have any advice about getting your tires checked before a trip on the freeway? :) Just ribbing you bud...

I've blown a tire or two in my time--but my spare is always full of air.

Hey, lets test out the new tires on a trip to the Gorge.
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

You guys are hurting my feelings...oh wait..I dont have any. Anyway..Ron there was air in the spare but it was sitting on an old rusty wheel from it's day in Tilamook Bay.

Looks like when you use a boat as much as I do...two years is about all you can get out of new tires on a single axel..oh well...live and learn.

If you wern't doing 80 down the freeway that wouldn't happen. LIL

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast