Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky Peak Kokes

We finally got out on the water yesterday. It was a slow start, spent a couple hours looking for the fish and only put 2 in our boat, then low and behold we found them. It then took us 2.5 hours to put the remaining 16 in our boat. Even had a triple on during one of the hook ups. Largest fish was 17 inches. The rest ranged 14 inches and up. Here is a photo of my buddy Corky with the day's catch.
    Lucky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	1390  

Nice LuckyKoke, did Corky catch any fish, or just rock the boat? Were the willows working or were the ford fenders bringing them up from the deep?

I believe that I may have to have an exersism on my boat, if any one knows someone let me know. we fished until dark and hooked two but never got them to the boat.

Huey,
    To tell you the truth, Captain Corky didn't do much but sleep in the boat. Rough night I guess. Told me stories about PBR. To answer your other question, we actually run a number of set ups, but the duel ford fender and all green wedding ring worked the best. We ran ford fenders off the down rigger ball and then had a set back of about 10' and then would run another set of ford fenders and the all green wedding ring. I really think in this tough fishing condition, the more flash you have the better. Most fish caught around 10-20 feet and for some strange reason, the murky water and a fast troll worked best.

Default HEY new to thread

Hello everyone first post here. i have been reading about all the kokanee your catching good job. YEap LP is loaded with them. o and by the way my friend who i fish with with caught a 20" kok. Thing looked like a ocean run salmon but was a kokanee fish and game checked him that day. Anyways last year we caught prob 60 koks each. this year we are at about 20 total but mostly bigger fish all around 13-20". We are truelly blessed for are bigger kokanee that feel like a snag when you first hook into them. But to get to the reason i am posting on this thread.

IM looking to see if anyone has hooked any other kind of salmon in lucky peak. i have heard stories of huge salmon being caught in lucky peak. I think they are chinook salmon or coho i am not sure. MY dad calls them black mouth salmon and told me he used to use wire leader line so they would not break him off. Has anyone cuaght one of these salmon in the recent years heard any stories. WEll thank you all for your time. If anyone knows anything about these salmon please write to me at Arexroat1@netzero.com.
    i have heard alot of stories abouth these salmon but nothing to recent.

Hey Kokanee Killer,
    Welcome to the site, and why not start posting your results? In answer to your question about chinook, the F and G planted coho in 1968, and then started planting small numbers of chinook from 84 to 2000. So, those days are probably over, at least temporarily. There wasn't likely any natural spawning, in that Mores Creek's temps are too high often times, a F and G biologist told me. When your dad refers to blackmouths, that is a term usually used for resident chinook or kings. Mike

Where were all you guys this morning?
    There were no other boats
    There was no wind
    We had 18 fat ones in the boat by 8:30

Do you have pics of these fat ones?

Spent my day pouring a concrete pad for the boat. Hoping to get out to the lake some time next week. It isn't often that you get a wind free saturday morning to yourself at L.P. Glad you were able to take advantage of it.

Default Lucky Peak

Fished Lucky Peak on Monday morning and again on Tuesday afternoon. Caught 12 and 10 near the dam using 3oz banana weight with wedding ring.

Darn, TrekRider. Glad there's at least one fisherman not too wimpy to face the waves, cold temp's and wind to do some fishing. You make me feel a bit guilty!!! But only a bit. Congrats on some good catches. Mike
    Last edited by kodiak1; 05-07-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: sp.

Anybody planning on heading out this weekend??? Should be nice weather, yeah???

was on the water yesterday from about 6 a.m. - 11 a.m. pretty slow for us. boated 5 and lost 5. wind was almost unmanagable. had to cut the kicker and troll with the main motor. decent amount of boats on the water. saw quite a few picked up.

ran up to spring shores with my dad to back his jetboat in and make sure the motor and kicker are running right. figures the day i DONT go up there to fish it is beautiful. saw more boats around spring shores than around the dam. may have to try down there next weekend. anyone fishing in the narrows? hows it been? might

Planning on heading up this evening and for sure one day this weekend. This will be the first trip this year and I cannot remember what a good trolling speed is. I will plan on fishing from 15 down to 30 or so and maybe try one line up top. Have they gone deeper or are there still some near the top? Thanks for any tips.

I will post my results and gear/techniques if all goes well. I can't tell you how much I have learned from this site as well as all of the friendly folks at the dock, LP is a nice fishery all the way around.

Everyone has their favorite speed, but I have always done best at about 1.5 to 1.8. I use that with pop gear and either wedding rings or dodgers and hoochies. Good luck, and let us know either way. Welcome to the forum. It is much more fun--and generous--to be a participant than to be a "stalker" !!! Good luck to you. P.S.: Darn, that is a good handle. Being an Idaho Vandal myself, I am kicking myself for not having thought of it!!! Mike
    Last edited by gonefishing; 05-13-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Going out tomorrow to see if we can catch anything. The last time we went out was back in March. We only caught one. So, we'll see if we do good tomorrow. Does anyone know how deep they are? Thanks, Good luck to all

Mike,

Thanks for the tips, I will be heading out tonight and tomorrow morning. I will be trying a white hoochie with an irrodecent skirt. I will also try my usual pink with the skirt as well. And it is always good to be a Vandal!
    Last edited by Kokanee Vandal; 05-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Fishing was pretty good today. Lots of fisherman down by the dam. We caught 5 also down by the dam. Had to use down-rigger. We caught them about 40 feet under. So good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiloveshermike View Post
    Going out tomorrow to see if we can catch anything. The last time we went out was back in March. We only caught one. So, we'll see if we do good tomorrow. Does anyone know how deep they are? Thanks, Good luck to all

Went out Thurs and found most of our fish in 25-30 ft of water but they were as deep as 40 in some locations. Make sure you check your fishfinder if you are not hooking up as they may have changed depths. Find the right lure/color combo and you should do well as it seems fishing is improving. We had two limits in the boat in 3 hours and prob had the same number hooked up but lost. Lots of action and good weather. Good luck!

had the urge to try for a little bigger salmon, so we made a last minute trip up to riggins. ended up hooking into three. lost two, but managed to get this one in. my buddy lost one as well. saw a decent amount of others caught. my lightweight steelhead set up made for a fun and challenging battle! ready for some more kokanee. has anyone been trying the narrows out lately?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1460  

Nice fish Blueback79 . My buddy and I hit the Columbia a couple times before they closed McNary and did pretty well when the winds weren't keeping us off the water. I hope to get back to LP sometime this week for some Koke action.

Nice Chinook Blueback 79. That makes a great day. I drove to Moscow for my daughters graduation and there were a lot of boats on the Salmon, but the Clearwater near the Potlatch Mill looked like a parking lot. They must have been catching some fish there also.

almost drug my boat up to fish the park hole. glad i didnt. way too many boats in there for my liking. it'll be nice when they open it up to vinager creek...spread the traffic out a bit.

Fished Friday evening from 5-7 by Spring Shores. Didn't have to go too far from the ramp. First fish was at 25', then nothing so I went up to 20'. Four more at that depth. 4 on a pink hoochie with a dodger and 2 on pink kokanee killer also with a dodger.

They seemed to be moving quickly all over and speed didn't seem to be a key as I varied between 1 mph and 1.4 (my motor was angry and wouldn't hold a good idle). Missed a handfull more and hooked the smallest kokanee I have ever hooked up there, feisty little guy though. Oh, all of the fish were 15". Fish on people.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast