Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good downrigger rod for Kokes?

One of these days I will probably fish with some one who uses the level wind and I will be able to give it a try, That would help me evaluate and give me a good comparison.

You are right on the twist on the line with the open face. I usually put fresh line on every spring and use a couple swivels on my rigging which minimizes any problems.

I think the open face reels are faster when you have a runner. Not sure just guessing.

I found 2 rods in the front of the boat this evening. I am going to get all my rods in one place and figure out what I have going on. All kinds of lengths flexs and so on. I think I am set, but that is becuase I order to many of them on line and didn't end up with the right rod. They are all usable under the right conditions. Being in the boat all the time limits me to about 6 useable Rods.

What ever we use, soon to get them wet and have a little R&R

Not that it really matters a lot to me but, when it comes to speed, my level wind is faster. The retrieve speed on my open face is 5:1, and on my level wind it is 7:1. Of course, the diameter on my open face is slightly larger so maybe it's a push, I don't know for sure. If the open face were a little faster it would come in handy for my jig retrieve, but it is possible that it would cause me to be less effective at drawing the strikes.

I still prefer my fly gear over all of it. Now if I could just figure out how to get that size 60 Daphnia pattern tied on.......
    Last edited by skookum9; 03-19-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Great set of instruction, modification was easy, can not wait to try this rod out. Thank You

Default Downrigger rods

I have a matched set of

LAMIGLAS 7'0" CG70DR classic Glass Kokanee Downrigger (4-10) rods
    with Shimano Bantam mag reels, filled with 20lb braid. I think these are the best around for the money(rods are on sale at local shop for $46)

I can't wait to catch the new world record at Wallowa in May on one of these rods.

Quote Originally Posted by No Wishin Just Fishin View Post
    I have a matched set of

LAMIGLAS 7'0" CG70DR classic Glass Kokanee Downrigger (4-10) rods
    with Shimano Bantam mag reels, filled with 20lb braid. I think these are the best around for the money(rods are on sale at local shop for $46)

I can't wait to catch the new world record at Wallowa in May on one of these rods.
    Where are the lamiglass rods on sale? I just picked up an Okuma SST Kokanee rod from Bi Mart have not used it yet but it looks like its going to be nice.

I'm also planning a trip to Wallowa this year, can't wait to get one of those monsters on my line.

Celilo Kokanee Pro 7' 29.95 at Fisherman's marine. I have two, they work great, I have been using these rods now for 2 years they work great and for the money I think they are a very good value

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullets View Post
    x2 on the Vance's Spiral Wrap Rod!
    X3 on Vance's Spiral Wrap. It has just the right stuff. Not too stiff and not too soft. I have 2

Vance made an excellent video last year that explains the rods.

http://www.vancestackle.com/other.html

Z
    Last edited by zhands; 04-05-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12