Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JJ Rod

Default JJ Rod

Got My JJ Lamiglas rod and it is awsome !! havent used it yet but i can tell its gonna be sweet !! still waiting on the TICA CM100 though. it should be in the mail. thanks for all the advice on the gear. let me know which one of you wants the bill though LOL !

You should do well with that outfit. I've been pleased with my Ticas and JJ rods. HiTechKoke steered me that way and I've learned not to doubt him.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I have four of them and they rock. You will love them, I really enjoy the clicker on my ticas
    Last edited by Kokaholic; 02-17-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Has anyone stepped up on one size of the Ticas from the cm100 to the cm150? That appears to be a real fine reel for Koke fishing as well. A little larger but cost is not much different. And still has the same features.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    Has anyone stepped up on one size of the Ticas from the cm100 to the cm150? That appears to be a real fine reel for Koke fishing as well. A little larger but cost is not much different. And still has the same features.
    I have a friend that loves the 150 for added line capacity and allows him to use the reel as his trout reels as well. I think if I were going to buy a couple Ticas, I'd probably lean in favor of the 150.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use the 150's...never have used the 100's. Since they aren't made any longer, they are getting hard to find. Does anyone know which of the new Tica models are good for Kokanee?
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Monte, there is a Tica 100 Kokanee edition now out if you wanted a 100 model.

Because I flyfish first, and jig for koke's second, and only resort to trolling when I have to, I'm sure I don't know as much about what I am talking about on these reels as others do. But since I do still troll occassionally and have been extremely happy with my own choice of reels, I have to ask as to what these Tica's have to offer over other reels? I personally use a Shimano Curado 201 to do all of my koke trolling, and sometimes incorporate an added line counter to the rod if I feel the need, but not usually. I have thought about buying one of the Okuma line counter reels since these seem to be very well built and reliable, and they don't cost very much. And I know first hand that I love the performance of their spin reels, the stinson models at least. I just don't know as I could ever walk away from the feel and flawless performance of the Curado. I know they cost a little bit but I've really never used any reel that wasn't a flyreel that I've enjoyed more. And the bonus is that they are still made and are readily available. And while my reply is full of statements, I really am asking what it is about these little Tica's that is so attractive to so many, other than they look pretty?

skookum, don't abandon your Curado. The Tica, discontinued model, is a great reel for the price as it had 12 ball bearings and very smooth drag. Your choice of reel is still at the top of the quality list but just comes at a higher price. The Ticas, at least in the past, seemed to be a great bang for the buck.

I picked up the gold Ticas 100's. It was of those things where I couldn't refuse a good deal. They do hold less line. My Okuma Convector 15's are comparible in size to Tica 150 and I like the amount of line they hold. I think if I were to buy a couple of more reels that they would be the size of the 150's for line capacity. There still small enough to be not burdened with the heavy feel for the lighter action rods.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

found the tica's from an over seas dealer, $ 98.00, has anyone had a problem with the line capacity on the 100. kinda too late got two comming. the 100 is still a good reel right ?

Gene, I think the 100 is a great reel for Kokanee. My only problem with the 100 model with regards to line capacity is I've snagged bottom or debris and been spooled before I could get the boat turned around to go back. Something about seeing the metal center of the spool that just always freaks me out.

Default thanks

thanks for the insight, i went to buy 10 lb power pro for the reel and all i could find is spools of 150 yards, is that enough. i am use to spooling reals with atleast 250 yards of line. hm sounding like a real amature. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    thanks for the insight, i went to buy 10 lb power pro for the reel and all i could find is spools of 150 yards, is that enough. i am use to spooling reals with atleast 250 yards of line. hm sounding like a real amature. LOL
    If your fishing just for Kokanee or trout that is plenty. Even if your downrigger is 100' down, you will still have 250 feet or so on your reel, and kokes/trout are not going to peel that off. Now if your going to use it on lake trout, that may be a differnt story.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Gene, what is the line capacity rating for the reel at that pound test? When you are 50 - 75 yards into putting the line on, you should be able to guesstimate where the 150 yds will leave you as far as being full. I like my spools to be 90% to 100% full. If you determine that you still have a lot of capcity left, cut the line and splice a new spool so that your splice is deep into the line. You could just consider the 1st chunk of line as backing. Does that make sense?

Not a bad way to go but I think before I did that I would try to find a quality fishing store in my area. Some place like a fisherman's marine or a sportsman's warehouse, (and yes I know this specific place is gone), or a cabela's or something. Ususally, this type of a store will fill your reel up with whatever line you desire, for a charge, providing they carry that line. You suit yourself but it drives me a little nuts having a knot in my spool. It doesn't really harm anything if it's a good knot that flows smoothly and I've made do in the past when I had to. But it's just one of those little things that just wears on me to have something like that on nice gear. Often times you can special order a larger spool of the line that you want from most any sporting goods stores. I've done this down at the BiMart store in the past and they've always been able to help, you just have to be willing to wait for a few days.

Default cool

you guys rock ! I THINK THE LINE CAP STARTS BEING RATED AT 12 LB TEST LIKE 140 YRDS. BUT I HAVE 10 LB ON MY 5600 AND IT SEEMS TO WORK JUST FINE. SO I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS AT 10LB THE BOX MIGHT SAY. I JUST WISH I COULD FIND THE POWER PRO IN A BIGGER SPOOL, WHAT OTHER BRANDS MIGHT BE GOOD AS WELL.

We got into a good line discussion on this thread started by bduck. However, considering what you said your line capacity was at 12 lbs, the 150 at 10 lbs will be darn near close enoug.
    http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=2708

Default power pro

ok I guess I will buy the braided power pro then I dont know when I will be down more then 100 feet

Are you planning on running 100' or so of mono topshot for a leader? You'll want the flexibility in the mono as a leader.

Default hmm

well what I usually do is just go from hard line to flasher then tie on what comes with the whammie or what not. i usually use the pre made riggs with its own leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    well what I usually do is just go from hard line to flasher then tie on what comes with the whammie or what not. i usually use the pre made riggs with its own leader.
    Not the best way to go. Braid has very little stretch and you want some give in your line with freight train Kokes. You could use a snubber I guess if you didn't want to use a longer piece of mono but I'm not a snubber kind of guy. You'll find with a 50 - 100 foot of mono you'll have a better hook up to landing ratio. Why are you thinking braid in the first place?

Default dont know

dont know, ust herd power pro braided was good, what is ideal ? i have had luck going hard line to flasher, snubber whammie with own leader, open for suggestions though. how do you tie off and keep 50-100 feet of lead line in the boat before you let it out, how do you land a fish when flasher stops at rod tip and you still have 50 to 100 feet out still ?

Once again I will clarify that I am no expert troller. But that doesn't mean that I've never done it. I use a braided line exclusively and absolutely love it. I have found that since I went to it, I have more success in hooking and landing fish than I did with mono. Now the biggest kokes I've caught trolling are only 16-17" from Wickiup but, even these guys work just fine on it. I tried using a snubber at first because I was worried that I would lose fish because my line had no stretch. But a short time later I got rid of the snubber because it made things worse not better. Not having all that stretch in my line gives me a better hook set and better control of the fish, and as long as I let my rod fight the fish instead of just horsing them in, I have zero increase in lost fish over mono. I've not tried power pro but I do use fireline and spiderwire and have now given up on mono for anything except for short little leaders. I'm not familiar with whatever bad experiences SuperD has had with these lines but I personally would advise against a 100' mono leader. I began using these braided lines because of their reduced line diameter so I could fit more line on a tiny little spin reel I used to use when jigging. What I found was that by using this line I decreased resistance against the jig and got improved action and increased my catch numbers. What had been my backup rod then became my main rod until the next trip when I spooled some of this stuff on my good rod. When I started using it to troll with I found no ill effects as a result. I do agree that it is not the line for everybody and that it has characteristics of its own, but most of these characteristics I consider to be a vast advantage over mono. I cannot say you will enjoy fishing with these super-braids of today, but I can say that I enjoy them so much that I will not be looking back at the old days of mono.

One advantage that I have enjoyed with the super-braids is that by them cutting through the water so much better than mono, when the fish are shallow and you don't want to mess with the down rigger, it takes very little weight to get them down to the fish. And fishing this way should have the greatest impact in the no-stretch hook sets and still no problems. I would say that the one thing I have learned to do, that I would also do with mono but is especially true with these braided lines, is to let the fish set the hook by himself. All you have to do is play him out and reel him in.

That was funny Gene, thought I was going to wet myself. If google "braid to mono knots", you see a variety of knots designed specifically for joining mono and braid. Again, what you are looking for here is a long piece of mono that will allow some stretch in the line or have some give when the fish strike. The dodger will attach at the other end of the topshot with a snap swivel. If we could get some other guys opinions, maybe we could talk you out of the braid idea to begin with. Did you read the line thread link I included in the last post?

skookum, do you ever tangle? When you do with braid, pretty much games over.
    Last edited by SuperD; 02-18-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast