Thread: Utah DWR Online Test

Default Utah DWR Online Test

Went to the Utah Boat Show yesterday afternoon (no I didn't buy a new one) and stoped by the Utah DWR booth. I had a lengthly conversation with one of the biologists working the Zebra Muscle education program at Flaming Gorge. She appeared to admire my shared concern to prevent this invasive species from entering prime fisheries in this state. I was quickly informed that Lake Powell does not have Zebra Muscles, yet Lake Mead and the headwaters of the Colorado River System do have them. I exercised my geographic prowess and asked the following question.
    "If Lake Mead and the headwaters of the Colorado River SYSTEM are infected, how are we ever going to prevent them from infiltrating Lake Powell, Green River or Flaming Gorge? You have evidence of Zebra Muscle life at both ends of the ecosystem."

You should have seen the look on her face! ::

Her reply was "The only weapon to fight the spread of invasive species is through education". They presented me with a copy of the Aquatic Hitchhiker questionnaire which I promptly replied that I knew it well. She went on to say that the DWR is developing an online test for boaters (not just fishermen) similar to an ethics quiz that we can take "One Time" each year. Upon passing the test will be able to download a certificate that we can then place in our boats and tow vehicles indicating that we have successfully completed the education awareness training. This will then preclude completing the questionnaire on every trip to the Gorge. The online test is NOT available yet, but I was assured that it would be available prior to this fishing season.

I like the concept but who are we kidding here? Everyone will be able to pass this test. Everyone will be able to launch their boats. The Zebra Muscles will appear wherever and whenever they want. Let's be real about this, If I travel a great distance to fish Flaming Gorge, Utah or Wyoming side, what kind of greeting do I get if I'm told I must decontaminate my boat, motor and trailer prior to launching? I don't know personally what the cost is but I've heard that it runs about $150. WELCOME TO FLAMING GORGE!

I've read many posts already this year from out-of-staters wanting to know when to come fish our beloved Flaming Gorge. Be well aware of this requirement prior to launching. Even if there are no DWR employees available to meet you at the ramp, you must still complete the questionnaire!

This was my public service announcement. We will now resume your regular discussion. Thanks for your desire to read this post.

maybe burbot dine on zebra mussels?

with zebra in the system, they can kiss dam operation goodbye on the Colorado system.
    time to tear them out anyway. we've removed dozens of dams here in the Pac. NW and more going. has returned anadromous fish runs to rivers that have been fishless for 100 years. the Snake system is next for tear out.

the invasive non native carp situation is going to have a major impact on the sports fishing in the Great Lakes. has already wiped out much of the walleye and bass fishery in the mid west

i soap mine down inside and out with a bleach chlorine solution at least twice a year. 5 cups bleach to 5 gal pail of water. also kills all the old fish slime/guts smell.
    run it throught the motors also and in/on the trailer, followed by salt-a-way

i also dump 5 gal or so of the solution in the bilge of the Trophy to slop around while on the road, then drain the last 100 miles or so to dry out

we have invasive high spreading rate non native clams here on the Columbia River system that came in cargo ship ballast.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 02-13-2010 at 01:09 PM.