Thread: Off Season?

Default Off Season?

With the formal kokanee season all but over, will you guys continue to come here to BS and talk fishing or do you move on to other sites or interests until next Spring?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I'll be here and I think a lot of others will be also, once they clean up their boats and put away their gear. I did notice a steep dropoff in post volume during the season, but am hoping it will pick up again soon.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I will not be going anywhere. I will be just chasing other fish, lake trout, cutts etc, but Am looking forward to continued conversation and gathering of good ides to do to my gear and or boat during the off season. I know I just purchased a new/used kicker motor and I have a remote troll to get mounted.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Off season is for doing all the stuff we don't have time for while the bite is on, like re-tieing hooks, making new lures and variations on old stuff, then sharing it here. It's also the time to tinker with the boat, trying things we have read about here.

There will be no shortage of posts, cabin fever sets in about two weeks after the fishing is over. You can always tell who gets the worst case of fever, they are the ones the lakes and giving reports in April, I know, I have seen them on the lakes myself
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I just bought a bunch of tackle making supplies and been painting blades in the garage. But with Fall rapidly approaching, I'm looking forward to some trout action. My job started furloughs this month so I'll have a few extra fishing days a month.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Truck Maintenance

Is it called Maintenance if your cleaning the frame from the top? (gone into hiding) ::
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35 Ford day 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	992  

I just change how I fish for Kokanee....I catch them through the Ice all winter long!!!

And up here the Kokanee fishing is still going strong...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted lines View Post
    Is it called Maintenance if your cleaning the frame from the top? (gone into hiding) ::
    Nice truck Chris...what year?
    After going up for the last koke trip earlier in the week, the cabin fever is starting to set in allready! I'll be busy retying 5 Plano box's of Apex lures...really looking forward to that..:eek: I purchased a bunch more of the jigs that came from your old mold, and will finish them with some of the colors that did well this season. I'm not planning on going anywhere, and will still be here to keep up on the new inventions cabin fever has to offer.

I'll take a break from Kokanee for a while this Fall and chase trout and steelhead. Come January I'll be back to fishing Kokanee and Bull trout at lake Billy Chinook. SB, you can find a fix for cabin fever right out from the Cove Palisades boat ramp.

SB; Its a 35 Peekup the only thing left on it is wheels and not for long. I have another box of apexes you could work on, wouldn't mind if you painted some Try bending a few of the new jigs as the jiggmaster has some of his previous version heard it works very well. Tell Santa you want a camera for Christmas I know what I am missing having seen your art work and would love to see more. TL

I'm a Moderator on a big car enthusiast board, so I get 'Forumed out' once in a while, but I'll still lurk around. Right now, in September is really good fishing here. The fish are waaayyy fat, and the ski/tube/jetski traffic is gone, and the water is cooling off.

Never been much for ice fishing, all I seem to get is cold... I'm all geared up and I can ride over to and out on the lake in 10 minutes on the quad, maybe I'll have another go at it...

I'll be around. Winter's a great time to test out the recipes forum and talk tackle before binging on new gear for Spring.

If life settles down I hope to get out after the winter steelhead and salmon runs. I also have a gift certificate for fly fishing lessons from a local fly shop, which means I'll have another place to spend some money.:) In November maybe luck will be with me for the annual deer hunting trip.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I just change how I fish for Kokanee....I catch them through the Ice all winter long!!!

And up here the Kokanee fishing is still going strong...
    I'm with Neptune! The fishing here is still good and I can't wait for the Ice!!!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

By no means am I done. Just because the Koke season is on hold for a while, there are other lakes to hit up. Cold weather is around the corner here but I will be making my appearance on some of the local lakes starting this friday. I was waiting until the first cold snap hits so the other pleasure seekers(skiiers, wake boarders, wave runners, etc.) get off the waters. With a cold one coming in wed., that will help seal their fate except for maybe a diehard out there. As far as this forum goes I'm far from being done. Look for my post this weekend with pictures if I don't forget the camera. Fishing is my passion and I'm getting itchy to get back out there. Does winter keep alot of you guys at bay? Orrr?
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Off season gets way to busy to get much done. Theres the holidays household chores ,and what all.I make plans to get alot in the works but usually doesn't happen. We have fairly mild winters and year round trout seasons, sure is hard to pass any fishing trip. Off season?

I spoke too soon about the mild winters we have in North Carolina! We've had more snow and cold weather than we've seen in 15 or 20 years.Even trout fishing has been tough lots of high dirty cold water.On the bright side I finished building a new rod,tied some flies,and put my new finder/gps on the boat,if I could only get the boat to the lake.Hows the weather treating you guys out west?You getting in any time on the water?
    Last edited by trollmonkey; 02-07-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    I spoke too soon about the mild winters we have in North Carolina! We've had more snow and cold weather than we' seen in 15 or 20 years.Even trout fishing has been tough lots of high dirty cold water.On the bright side I finished building a new rod,tied some flies,and put my new finder/gps on the boat,if I could only get the boat to the lake.Hows the weather treating you guys out west?You getting in any time on the water?
    Here in Northern Utah, lakes are capped & plenty of ice fishing. I have 2ft of snow in my yard. Soft water is still a ways out. My secondary job seems to be snow removal.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I'm still around and enjoy the board very much as well as the opportunity to meet & chat with many of you, good topics, great information. Last year was a really difficult year on my family so I wasn't on the board as much.
    “Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Team RMT

I'm just glad it's tme to start thinking soft water again and hookin into some more koks. I'm about to into withdrawals.

I 'm going to be doing a few things to my boat very soon. I'm going to start early this this year doing all of the pre-season checks before it's time to get out on the wet stuff. I do have a small area of the floor that needs some attention.
    I really can't wait to get into some Koke action this year. C'mon soft water.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot