Thread: Shasta's shuttle hawk vs. seps simply trollin

Default Shasta's shuttle hawk vs. seps simply trollin

I have read quite a bit about the shuttle hawk in past threads, but nothing about the seps simply trollin. Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the two designs? I was looking to give one or both a try this spring and thought I would check with this forum to see if there was a consensus on which was best. Thanks for your input.

Sawtooth

Most definitely and I prefer the Shasta Shuttle Hawks as they are much less prone to getting stuck on the way down due to their design. The only minor downside on the Shuttle Hawks can fall off easier if the cable jiggles enough to take them outside of their slot. I never bring them above water if I can help it when I remove them so I grab them at the water level to take them off.

I also use some of the dum-dum putty around the slot where the cable goes in as a protection so the cable does not jiggle out which only really an issue on bringing them up. Shasta Tackle also changed the design in the last year or so so they are longer which makes them easier to get down to depth. The key to both of them is having line tension on the way down which is what propels them down to your cable stop.

If you want to stack two lines on a downrigger then they are a definite plus and you have a 50/50 chance of not having to bring the cable up for the lower line and can change out that top line easier in the end. Expect a bit of learning curve but they work great and I have been using them for 7+ years.

Kevin
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

Kevin, I've also heard someone say they use the smallest size binder clip at the slot with great success.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have a couple of Shuttle Hawks and like the way they work as well. As HTK says you don't have to bring the bottom line up. Haven't lost one yet but I guess its a matter of time.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

The Shuttle Hawks have been redesigned to reduce the tendency to fall off the wire. Some people also use rubber bands to eliminate the possibility of loss.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Sounds like the Shuttle Hawk is the forum favorite. I am also planning a trip to North Vancover Island at the end of July and was also wondering how the shuttle hawk does with the heavier gear used for chinnook. My main use would be for Kokes here in Idaho, but would like to run a stacker when up north this summer.

I think it would work just fine
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

anyone got a pic of the seps simply trollin? id like to see what they look like

Here is a pic.

SAWTOOTH --- I went to Juneau Alaska three years ago to chase Silvers and Kings. I took two Shuttle Hawks since the boat I was fishing on only had manual downriggers. The Shuttle Hawks did not work very well in the Ocean but only because of all the Jellyfish and other ocean debris. This was by no means a reflection on the Shuttle Hawk, nobody's dive planer would have worked in those conditions. I had no idea so much crap was floating around in the ocean. If I didn't have Jellyfish hanging up on the downrigger cable it was reeds or other debris which ultimately prevented them from functioning as designed. Haven't had any problems with them in fresh water except for comming off the cable, which I rectified by using rubberbands. I received two of the SEPS dive planers last week so I haven't tried them out yet. Bring on the Soft Water!!!!
    Last edited by Trophy Taker; 02-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    “Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Team RMT

Thanks guys. Great information and suggestions from you all. Trophy Taker, I will be interested to know how those Seps compare. Until then I guess it is time to go buy a couple of Shuttle Hawks and wait for the soft water to appear.
    Sawtooth
    Last edited by sawtooth; 02-03-2010 at 11:32 PM.

One major difference between the two I forgot to mention is the clips. The ShuttleHawks have a very different style clip that takes getting used to if you are used to the regular offshore clip like the one pictured for the Sep's version. I end up buying separate offshore clips and put them on the ShuttleHawk because I have not been easily re-trained )my wife confirms this behavior) to use the original ones on the shuttlehawks. Maybe someday I will get used to them. I know Gary has showed me a few times. I do like a really long release cable though so I can easily grab them from the water as well as set the line since the cable is out and away from the boat.

Kevin
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

I know this is super old but found it going down a rabbit hole trying to look for ways to modify my shuttle hawk (would like to have a bit more weight so it has some extra tenstion when loading up the down riggers

Does Seps even make the simply trolling board anymore? This is the first I ever heard of it and can’t seam to find one anywhere online

i think it would be better to practice stacking your down rigger v/s the shuttle hawk

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    i think it would be better to practice stacking your down rigger v/s the shuttle hawk

I used to stack all the time, but really like the SH’s and probabaly wknt ever go back to normal stacking. I just want to modify mine slightly if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBBS View Post
    I used to stack all the time, but really like the SH’s and probabaly wknt ever go back to normal stacking. I just want to modify mine slightly if I can.
    The only modification I would make is to use a short piece of plastic coated wire leader (15 lb. test should do) between the end of the hawk where the release is attached and the downrigger cable. Crimp on the release end, crimp on a snap swivel to the downrigger cable end. Screw the rubber band deal. Bob R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06973.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	9651  

Shuttle hawk works good, but is slow on the decent while kokanee fishing. I usually speed up for a faster decent. Ive never used the rubber band, but have lost 2 or 3. All from yanking them off too fast and having the release cable make a few wraps around the downrigger cable indiana jones style, then losing the SH from my hand. I have also left one on my swim latter and drove off. 101duh10.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
    Shuttle hawk works good, but is slow on the decent while kokanee fishing. I usually speed up for a faster decent. Ive never used the rubber band, but have lost 2 or 3. All from yanking them off too fast and having the release cable make a few wraps around the downrigger cable indiana jones style, then losing the SH from my hand. I have also left one on my swim latter and drove off. 101duh10.
    Well, now you know how to keep from losing them (see above). I know that not only will speeding up get the hawk down faster, it will trigger a good number of bites from following fish. Bob
    Last edited by bob r; 05-03-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
    Ive been lucky, the only one I’ve ever lost was due to me leaving it on the cable while driving full speed from one stop to another and it must have caught the win and moved tell it popped off. I don’t do a rubber band or cable tie, just stick it in the slot and fish on.

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    The only modification I would make is to use a short piece of plastic coated wire leader (15 lb. test should do) between the end of the hawk where the release is attached and the downrigger cable. Crimp on the release end, crimp on a snap swivel to the downrigger cable end. Screw the rubber band deal. Bob R
    I just want to be able to load my rods up a little heavier without pulling it up the wire, in gonna try just adding a couple tire weights front and back to add a little more weight. I feel by adding equal parts front and back it should still tip the same and come back up. Only one way to find out.

I tried my new mod this weekend and it actually helped quite a bit, I added 4 1/2OZ stick on tire weights to mine, 2 front 2 Rear and it helped it both dive down fasther and load up harder. the only down fall was it added a bit more wobble to the line while trolling but the fish didnt mind!

Does it come back to the surface with that extra weight?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Does it come back to the surface with that extra weight?
    Yes sir, it actually comes up pretty much the same as it did before.