Thread: Male vs Female

Default Male vs Female

Can anyone provide insight into tell tale features to look for when determining the sex of a fish without cutting them open? I'm looking for the most accurate method that maybe everyone of us can potentially help the resource by quickly releasing females unharmed.

Smoke,generally female salmonids have a some what blunt rounded head compared to males. The males have a longer more pointed head and a hooked jaw ,especially during spawning season ,though sometimes you can't tell short of an autopsy. I 'm curious about the survival of kokes released in the summer.Most of the ones we've caught have pretty well fought themselves to death by the time they hit the deck,and they are great on the grill!

Thanks for the reply Trollmonkey. You're definitely right about the autopsy, that's the only way I can be certain, but then it's too late. I will use your advice next season at the cleaning station when I really have time to examine them prior fileting. I'll keep a log and and post my report card after the season. Everyone knows there's a science to fishing.

Releasing fish is not detrimental to their survival if it's done quickly and without netting or bring them in the boat for pictures. If they're small fish, this can be accomplished rather easily. If they're the larger variety and go ballistic close to the boat, the stress can be too great for them.

I see an occasional floater on the lake I fish but a note to all fishermen, don't leave them, turn the boat around and retrieve the fish to be part of your catch for the day. The seagulls will survive just fine without our help.