Thread: Downrigger Trolling

Default Downrigger Trolling

Thoughts on the best Kokanee downrigger releases.

Several of us use a little yellow release that is available from Seps, Vance Tackle and others that escape me know. It is also known as an "OFF SHORE" release. Take a look at this thread, it may help. Welcome aboard.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...hlight=release
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I use the small yellow ones from Seps most of the time, Also the small Red ones with the screw tension. I think they are from Gary M. at Shasta tackle.

I also use Braided line instead of Mono, it dosnt twist like mono.......................Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I've used many different brands of releases only to settle on the small Scotty's. The Cannon adjustable release pads are too porous and seem to wear out very quickly. The Off Shore brand (yellows) have worked well for me with the spring tension adjusted to light release. I really like the Scotty's because they're very simple in design, simple to operate and the pads seem to have somewhat a silicon residue on them that allows for a very smooth and dependable release. I purchased mine for about $8 each. A little pricey but I think worth every cent.

i'm with smokeonthewater on releases.
    tried them all and settled on the small Scottys.
    the KISS principle for me. works every time and nothing complicated to foul up.
    only thing is that any stray scent oil on the fingers will make the release pads greasy and they'll turn into a hair trigger.
    easy to wipe off with rag across the pads.

i change the tension/holding power by moving the position of the line in the pads.
    farther to rear=more holding power
    to front of pads=light release.

in mid to peak season i go max tight release to really set the hooks when the kokes are super aggressive and hit like great whites eating Bambi the seal.
    love to see that pole twang and jump.

can't beat those crazed Merwin Kokes in July when they go ballistic on a line and hook only hit from 50 ft down, some will come out of the water 3 ft.
    i sometimes run the release after the attractors so it's just line, hooks and fish for some light tackle fun.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 10-23-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Default New to the game

Ok here it is , I am new to the Koke game, saw the first Kokanee pulled up in Merwin last year, was facinated, and the taste is awsome ! so i bought a boat and downriggers and now im stuck, with the right and reel to use. i have one rig, its an ambassador 5600 with 10 lbs on it on an 8'6 pole. is the polle too long ? i really want to purchase the Lamiglas Kokanee classic but i dont know if the 7' size is too small. also the 5600 smallest line is supose to be 12 . is 10 ok on it , i loke the 5600 but feel 12 lb would be too much. i need another rod and real for my other downrigger, please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Ok here it is , I am new to the Koke game, saw the first Kokanee pulled up in Merwin last year, was facinated, and the taste is awsome ! so i bought a boat and downriggers and now im stuck, with the right and reel to use. i have one rig, its an ambassador 5600 with 10 lbs on it on an 8'6 pole. is the polle too long ? i really want to purchase the Lamiglas Kokanee classic but i dont know if the 7' size is too small. also the 5600 smallest line is supose to be 12 . is 10 ok on it , i loke the 5600 but feel 12 lb would be too much. i need another rod and real for my other downrigger, please help.
    Welcome aboard - a 5600 with 10lb line is fine...as I have about 3 of them in my stable of reels amongst other ones lice Tica. You may want to put some backing on it before filling it as it will hold a lot of line but I like that when I use them long lining for trout. I would not bump it to 12lb unless you were going for bigger fish than Kokanee. An 8' 6" long pole is not too long but it is more about how limber it is to act like a shock absorber. The Lamiglass rods are good too and generally 7 to to 7' 9" is the range of most rods with 7'6" being a favorite among manufacturers.

Kevin
    Last edited by HiTechKoke; 02-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

Default thanks

thanks Kevin, i fished Lake Stevens in snohomish yesturday and thats when i tried the 5600 and an 8'6 landed 1 12 incher, just looked like my pole was too long but i have 2 scotty 1080 to make up for it i guess. 24 inch arms. im just hooked on kokanee and trout fishing, would also like to know if the tackle im using is right... im using kokanee killer(or equivilant) and single red whammies with a red wedding ring and a piece of corn.
    Last edited by Gene; 02-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 02-09-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: double posted?????

troll on the surface this time of year here in the PNW
    no weight no downrigger, flat line with dodger and lure on the top 50' to 150' behind the boat.

hoochies, spinner hoochies, Apex, wedding rings.
    keep switching lure types and color until you find what sets off their agression bite. scents help also, on lure and/or soak the corn.

limber rod helps with the hook set on a downrigger. load the rod up until it's almost in a C with line tension.

limber rod also helps prevent hook tearout in kokes tender soft mouth.

stick with the 10lb mono for trolling

Lake Roosevelt is pouring out tons of 2lb+ kokes this winter, also BIG triploid rainbow, all just above the dam on the surface. I'm going.
    KokaneeMart crew were just over there and killed them

get ahold of Onerka007 over on this thread for your fishing trip of the winter.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=2411
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 02-09-2010 at 06:17 AM.