Thread: HEY..i'm new and need help :D

Default HEY..i'm new and need help :D

hey all i'm new to this sight and i'm a beginner at kokanee fishing and i want to know what works best to catch them.. i want to catch a lot and i want them to be big.... if you have any sugestions please post... also, what is the best time of year to fish for them ... i'm going this winter will they be in bad shape or will they be alright ... PLEASE HELP

Welcome FishinFridays There is so much too learn on this forum that it would be a little too much for this post. However, there is an archive of information here and you are more than welcome to it. Start with the general discussion forum. There is a host of knowledgable Kokers here that will be glad to help out. Tight Lines & welcome once again.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Do you plan on ice fishing for them? The typical open water season for them is roughly late Spring to about August. Do you have any idea what bodies of water you will be fishing in for them?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Smile Well...

well i don't plan on icefishing them... if the lake froze over i probably wouldn't be able to fish because i don't have the right stuff for ice fishing... so no.... (well i've never been fishing for them the olny reason why i'm going in winter is because i'm going hunting up in a place called republic, WA (never been there) i'm getting an idea of what to use ... it's probably to late but what the heck i'll give it a try .... (i'm hunting in the evening and fishing in the mornings)) :D i will be fishing in a lake...
    Last edited by FishinFridays; 10-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Welcome aboard FishinFridays! Like already mentioned, check out the archives...lots of great information. There's a spot to click at the bottom of this page to get you there.
    Going hunting up in Republic? Boy, that sure brings back some good memories! I used to hunt up there. We fished Curlew Lake up there for a few trout to throw on the grill. I'm not sure about any koke lakes close by, but you might send Joan Lake a e-mail and ask her. She owns Lake trolling flies up there in Republic. Google www.trollingfly.com I purchased some kokanee flies from her a few years back...very nice person. Good luck, and dress warm!!!

thanks that really helps me out :D

Republic is a great area to hunt... Mulies and whitetails aplenty. Good trout fishing on Curlew (no kokes that I know of). South end of Curlew is a great spot for opening weekend waterfowl. They stage there before heading further south. Shallow water warning on the south end... it's not considered part of Curlew. I heard the name before but forgot.

Also, deep mud around the edges... I wouldn't advise trying to wade in it.

i might not be able to hunt because i broke my shoulder recently playing freshman football so i will fish if anything... best place to fish the trout .... anywhere/..?

Welcome to the best Kokanee site anywhere! If you get down to SW Wash & Lake Merwin give me a heads up I'll be there most weekends this season!

..............Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am