Thread: Freeze-Thaw-Smoke-ReFreeze?

Default Freeze-Thaw-Smoke-ReFreeze?

Is it okay to thaw kokes, smoke them and then refreeze them? I know there is a lot of stuff you cannot refreeze, but I was wondering since smoking is so close to cooking if it was okay to freeze again. Anyone?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

You could get away with vacuum sealing them, freezing and then bringing them back out during the holidays.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    You could get away with vacuum sealing them, freezing and then bringing them back out during the holidays.
    Agreed, I vacuum pack everything. Also carry a vacuum unit in the RV so they can get sealed and froze as quickly as possible after catching. Usually never more than 4 hours from lake to freezer, depending on how long I stay on the water.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I have done it, thawed, smoked and refroze and have never had an issue and they still taste great
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Most definitely you can freeze the smoked fish but I'd strongly reco that you only do it if you are going to vacuum pack it and make sure to get all the air out. I like to double seal each end when doing it.
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

I like to brine my fish after it has been flash frozen. The freezing draws the moisture out of the meat, and when you put it in the brine it acts like a sponge and really soaks up the brine and flavor. I just did a batch of some pinks I caught on the Skykomish river last week and it turned out great. Once the meat is fully thawed I know it's time fro the smoker!

I have frozen koke's till I had enough to warrant firing the smoker. I freeze them in water, in Tupperware, old milk cartons whatever, as long as they are covered with water. This prevents freezer burn without vacuum packing. Thaw, smoke, vacu pack and refreeze. No problems.