Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

Not only do we have the new rods, but also the new Velocity reels. The web site will be up soon and we will be having some great show prices for rods, reels and combos. We even have a sweet little ice rod combo. These are all top quality rods in both glass and graphite and in assorted lengths and colors. We will have a full booth of Velocity products at all of the I.S.E shows shows this spring to meet all your trolling and spin casting needs. They look very sharp. See you all in Sacramento next week and in SLC in March.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Mark, I noticed that some have a thin blank and some the fatter blank. Is that just the difference in glass vs. graphite?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Yes, that's the difference. They look very sharp and grab your eye. there is even a pink one for the ladies.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I am using 6' and 6 1/2' uglystik's. I just bought a new 8' berkly for $30. I must be a cheapskate, I don't use nothing to fancy.
    I've tried more expensive rods but personally prefer the light action Uglysticks when Downrigger Fishing for Koks. Obviously, everyone has their own preference like Chevys and Fords.

I've generally stayed away from the pricey rods because I know how rough I am and know it is "when" and not "if" I break a tip off at some point. I hear tell that these new Velocity rods have a great warranty at right around $80. I've got my eye on a couple of the light blue 7'-9" glass rods. They aren't quite as limber as the previous white rods but not bad.

I've had a friend Jay at Wraptor Rods do some custom rods for me my newest is a 4 weight fly rod blanks 7 1/2 ft solid blank with graphite composite handles I've gone away from cork handles they cost me about the same as any good rod. The fly rod blanks are unbelievable sensitive. For 2014 I decide my company is going to donate a Custom Rod made by Wraptor Custom Rods. Wraptor has done some awsome custom Rods for the TV program WICKED TUNA, as I mentioned above this one is gold in color along with a Accudeph ICV 15 engineered by Daiwa with a Digital line counter also equipped with 8 # Max ultra green line INCLUDED is a custom wobbler designed by Looney Lures and a Magic Mike teaser I 've almost completed this project, all proceed from the RAFFLE will go to assist KOKANEE POWER OF OREGON Nonprofit organization dedicated to the enhancement of Oregon's Inland Fisheries. I have the ROD completed the signs are done. I just need to pick up the reel The Pole and Reel will be at the Sportsman Show in early February which booth, I'm not sure as of yet. I've just been inform this year Kokanee Power of Oregon won't have a both there are numerous friends I know that will have booth at the show. the ticket cost is $2.00 each or 6 for $10.00 I will have some Photos shortly. I feel it will help support are fishery. The drawing will be at the Odell Kokanee Tournament in August and one need not be present to win. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this I can't think of a better way to start 2014

For the early season fast growing tender mouth kokes that throw and tear out hooks so easily, I use Diawa Ultralight Spinmatics with 4lb test mono on the small Ticas.
    Also been using for the last 2 years and still testing a 13' 6" Aventa center pin ultra light rod with a float reel and 4 lb test mono for max stretch and less strain on the soft mouths.
    Surface trolling, none to less than 2 oz of weight

Use the soft action fiberglass Jareed Johnson Specials for regular season down rigger trolling.

Used my 8 ft med action G. Loomis GL3 casting steelhead rod and 8 lb when I was fishing Wallowa Lake for the big one, glad I had the heavy rod for the 6 lber I finally got, they're fat slow slabs that use their sideways force to fight with. No current in the lake to give them muscles but they just don't quit, keep pumping that big tail in a circle slabbed sideways to the boat.
    Last edited by smokin' Kokes; 01-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Ever used 9' rods? I was looking at the Lamiglass and wonder what the downside of a 9' rod are.

Clawman,
    Getting the fish to the net can be a problem in a smaller boat or if you are on your own and are trying to hold the rod and net the fish at the same time. I like a rod that is from 7-8 1/2 ft. with a soft top half and made of graphite. Not a big fan of the real soft noodles that are made primarily of fiberglass. Too heavy and the fiberglass absorbs a lot of the fight in my opinion. I build my own rods, so I use the shortest Baston Forecast 5 wt. blank that they make, or more recently, their lightest freshwater Popping rod blank. Both are super light and I can feel every head shake or tail flip.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I just picked up 2 of the Velocity Blue Rods. After messing around with all their different styles, they fit my plan the best. Talked with Jared for quite a bit before deciding. He definitely has a great plan moving forward, and I will be getting more of his gear.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERHAWK View Post
    Does anyone have any idea where the Lamiglas jj rods are still available?
    The Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor booth in Portland had a bunch of the JJ rods on sale. Red or White for 49.99. I have two white ones already so I picked up two in red. I also picked up a couple cold water reels. I use one on a Fetha Styx rod I have and really really like them together.

I use a Daiwa "Heartland" light and an "Okuma SST 702L Kokanee"....I particularly like the Daiwa, it has super flex from butt to tip whilst being no slouch in the power dept :)

I was looking at a Tica 8' rod the other day, $89. Glass with a nice steady curve and not too noodly. Anyone have experience with these?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    I was looking at a Tica 8' rod the other day, $89. Glass with a nice steady curve and not too noodly. Anyone have experience with these?
    I have the 7'6" version of the Tica. I like it a lot. It's a lot of fun with a 1 1/2 to 2 pound koke on the other end of the line. I don't know what the difference in the newer 8' rod is....I haven't seen one locally so I could touch it and see how it compares.

I used the 7'6" Tica with Tica reels all last year and the year before. They work well and are very light. The have a decent amount of flexibility and a decent backbone. We used them in Brewster and on Baker Lake to pull in Sockeye as well and they were fine. It is fun to fight a sockeye on that light of gear but it can be a challenge if you have to muscle one into a net. I eventually had one snap in half when I was pulling it from a stiffer clip. I replaced it with a couple of the Lamiglass JJ rods. I now have 2 in red and 2 in white. I tend to like them a little better than the Tica. They feel more substantial. I put the Okuma Coldwater reels on the red rods and really like the way they handle. I want to try the Okuma reels on the white ones next. I have the Tica reels on them now but they feel so small after using the Okumas.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

I do all my salmon trolling Canadian style, Islander knuckle busters and softer rods. So I thought why not for Koks? I have found the Reddington 7'6" 4 wt. fly rods to be perfect accompanied by a 8wt fly reel loaded with lots of backing and 100' of 8# mono. Cabelas has a very serviceable reel for $30. Good times!
    K

I use the Team Kokanee JJ CGR 762L. Love the rods and see no reason to switch. Calstar and Seeker are also good quality stuff. Favorite ocean rod is a Seeker.

8 ugly sticks, have an addiction to ugly stick from ultralight to sturgeon rods

I tend to be a bit of rod collector and have 6 for my kokanee fishing. Have two old 4 weight glass rods (7 1/2 and 8 foot) that I rebuild for kokanee fishing and two lamiglass including the yellow ultra light; all 4 are great rods and do a very nice job on the kokanee. That said my every day kokanee rods are a pair of 7 1/2 Tica super ultra lights. The Tica rods have nice soft actions that do more than a creditable job in both the downrigger and handling the fish and I think an excellent value.

I couple my kokanee rods with one of several old reels from my bass fishing days that have direct drive features. The combination of those soft rods, direct drive reels and the other usual kokanee 'tricks" usually allow me to achieve have a reasonable high hook-up to landed ratios. This morning was usually poor in terms of converting hooked fish to fish in the box; hooked 13 and only landed 10 of them.

Curt

build my own using Batson blanks. usually in the 7 1/2, but a few are 8's. lots of guides and 14" rear corks. They work or me.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Call me cheap, But I really love my cabelas depth master's down rigger rods, They have a moderately fast tapper with medium action 8' 6''. I'm on my third season with them and for $35 bucks a piece I can't complain.
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Call me cheap, But I really love my cabelas depth master's down rigger rods, They have a moderately fast tapper with medium action 8' 6''. I'm on my third season with them and for $35 bucks a piece I can't complain.
    I bought mine in the Bargain Cave and they are my ocean, King Salmon downrigger rods. Talk about an a$$ whoopin! But lots of fun.

I own 4 of the Tica and for the money they are just great rod for kokanee and for one on a budget they are just great. A few years back a friend for a birthday gift present me with a fly rod blank 6 weight converted over for a baitcaster reel it is 9 ft with a cork handle an I love it. I've since went to custom made 4 weight fly rod blanks converted over for baitcaster reel they are 7 ft these are Limaglas blanks made by WRAPTOR RODS. My thought are they are the perfect rod for kokanee. They cost me close to 150.00 each.They have Graphite Composite reel seats etc.etc.

I bought a Lamiglas CGR 762L and a Okuma SST-C-762L. Seriously, I only bought them because they said Kokanee on the rod and it was during a SPORTCO tent sale. After using them for 2 years now, I really like them. You don't need a snubber or have to let off the drag to fight the fish. I do like the Lamiglas one for 2 reasons. The Lamiglas feels lighter in the action and fighting the fish is awesome. They are also red, so its easier to see a fish hit the lure which is nice when you are sitting back drinking an ice cold Pepsi made with real sugar and the rod suddenly goes Fish On!! Okuma is brown and blends in with the water so could miss some tappy taps, unless you are my nephew who watches the pole like a hawk. Your fancy high dollar rods are cool too, just haven't the funds for them yet..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140701_115944054.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	7455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140701_115956791.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	7456
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

This is my only expensive rod that I own. It is so thin, you can see through it. It takes me a good while to fight a naked lure back to the boat.

Lamiglass FC 76 UL - 7' 6", 1 piece, Lure Wt. 1/16-1/4 oz. Line Wt. 4-8 lbs. Action: Slow Power: Ultra Light

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast