Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

Default kokanee rods

in the 6 years that I hav ben fishing kokanee,I have tried just about every kokanee rod maid. my favorites ar (1-7'6" st.croix ) ( 2-7'6" jj-lamiglass ) ( 3 -7' shimano talora) I like the 12 eyes on the jj rods, if they wher one piece rods,they would be my # 1 rods. if your out ther jj,talk to me ,I want one of thos red rods maid especialy for me in one piec OK. Gabe

Default 3 Wt...

I had a friend build me a 3 WT Fly rod blank in to a level wind rod with 13 guides, I put a line counter reel on it, with a Sling blade followed by a Crippler or a ring - oh what a joy. Eight pound main line to 6 pound fluorocarbon to the first swivel and chain. The only back bone is the long cork handle and reel seat.
    Today while trolling for Land Locked Chinook in my favorite lake I tagged a very healthy 19" rainbow on a ring and garden hackle, absolutely buried two thirds of my rod in the lake...what a treat, that thing made that little reel scream and the rod at one time looked like a question mark - hummm great name for the rod...I know this is a Koke Forum didn't mean to regress but man that was a slammer fish.

Chuck
    15' SmokerCraft with a 25hp Bigfoot electric four stroke Merc.;with a Walker downrigger fits two perfectly...

Well I picked up a Lamiglas CG70DR and a Lamiglas CGR762L Team Kokanee.

I have not had a chance to use them very much, so I don't have much to say yet. We will see.

Who makes the lightest action ultralight Kokanee Rod?
    My Lamiglas JJ rods are too much rod for the smaller Kokes here. They need Gorge sized fish IMHO.
    How do the other Lamiglas rods compare to the Red Rods?

We have two of the Daiwa Spinmatics and they are awesome rods. I can't believe how nice they are for under $30.00. I'll be picking up a couple more soon.

I'm fishing on a budget. I have two Shakespere Agility rods, that I just bought from a fellow fisherman. Prior to this purchase, I had an Okuma Kokanee pro, and a 8 ftZander rod from Cabela's. I really liked that 8 footer, but it was just too long to use in my small boat, with my short frame. At 5-8, its just a bot too long. 7 footers are just right.

Just picked up a Lamiglas 7'9" GC792 UL Tournament Kokanee. Coupled with my Shimano Calcutta 50B.........should be fun!

anybody tried the diawa heartland koke rods? I like the heartland series in other rods and the price looks good at around $40?? also the okuma at $35 looks interesting.

Clearly there isn't one rod that works for all. For smaller (early season) kokes I perfer a 7'9" 3 weight fly rod made into a casting rod or something that's very limber. I've broken too many rods so I typically use two piece rods.

Later in the season when the fish get up to 19" and bigger or when fishing Flaming Gorge then a stiffer rod is definately needed. The Lamiglass JJ rod is perfect for this. Obviously a shorter rod will work better in a smaller boat. On wide beam boats a longer rod helps keep the fish/line out of the other downriggers, kicker etc.

Another time a stiffer rod is a plus is when jigging. I've tried using my typical kokanee rod and setting the hook is difficult when the rod is too limber.

I bought a couple of those heartland dwnrgr kok rods a month or so ago. Great rod for the price, light action you can really load em up on the downrigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    Daiwa Spinmatic SMC 702ULFB
    Lamiglas Rock Creek Series AC73UL
    Shakespear Catera SP6070
    Lamiglas FC 76 UL
    Berkley Tactix TXS661MLF (for jigging)

How do you like your Lamiglas FC76UL? I was playing with one in the store the other day. Wow, that thing seems really limber. How is it with a fish on??

CRW I have 4 of the Lamiglas fc702ul and they where great on the Kokes at the Gorge. I like the why they DON'T snap up when the fish pulls the line out of the releases. It seems to help keep the hook from being ripped from the mouth of the smaller fish meaning more fish to the boat. I highly recommend them for kokes on the downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeye View Post
    I bought a couple of those heartland dwnrgr kok rods a month or so ago. Great rod for the price, light action you can really load em up on the downrigger.
    thanks , the price is right and I really like my other heartland rod.

Jim, haven't experienced the hooks ripping out since I've been using the heartland kok rods. I'd say we're close to ninety percent on hook ups and fish in the boat using the double hook set up.

Default Anyone using BATSON BLANKS ?

I built two rods on BATSON RDR blanks and we love them. Last year I went cheaper and built a koke rod on A Batson 7' fiber glass blank ,this rod caught the NC State record koke. All three rods have held up well over two years of heavy use. If you build or know a builder these are reasonably priced sticks.

I am a big fan of Batson. My favorite steelhead drift rods are Rainshadow XST's. After Christmas I will be building a couple of kokanee rods spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks.
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

3 Is there any science to spiral wrapping, or do you just see what works on a particular blank? I spiraled some 8' ugly sticks years ago that worked well,so I try to use more or less the same set up and make adjustments to make the spiral work on other blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    3 Is there any science to spiral wrapping, or do you just see what works on a particular blank? I spiraled some 8' ugly sticks years ago that worked well,so I try to use more or less the same set up and make adjustments to make the spiral work on other blanks.
    These will be my first spirals. From what I have been told there are some general guidelines like getting the transition done before the rod bend, offsetting the bumper guide from whichever side the reel handle is on and such but static testing is all the science needed. I'm sure a person could get carried away with making sure the guides are set up on perfect axis angles and such but life is too short IMO. Run the line through the guides, tape them on, static test and adjust til its right then wrap away.
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

I built 4 Batson Rainshadow spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks and love them for Koks! A blast for catching Baker Lake sockeye also...
    "Fish Long and Prosper" -- Mr Spock?

19' Custom Weld "RUNABOUT"

Quote Originally Posted by JcTyee View Post
    I built 4 Batson Rainshadow spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks and love them for Koks! A blast for catching Baker Lake sockeye also...
    I absolutely Love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by JcTyee View Post
    Jc
    I have been building a few kokanee rods using the batson blanks, mostly the 7 and 7 1/2 feet. 2 piece.
    Anyway, been using the Batson blanks for my bass, steelhead and salmon rods. I think they are as good as anything out there. IMO.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Will also be putting them to the test for Pink Salmon in the Snohomish Rvr. in August..... Fish on!
    "Fish Long and Prosper" -- Mr Spock?

19' Custom Weld "RUNABOUT"

I am running Lamiglass FC76UL and love it. The rods are extremely limber but are built very well and can handle most any kokanee you can throw at it.

I use the Red Lamiglass team kokanee rod @ 8.5' in length. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcbcaddis View Post
    I use the Red Lamiglass team kokanee rod @ 8.5' in length. Love it.
    I do as well and really like them.
    I am a firm believer in the theory that if I spend more on tackle in the off season I'll catch a lot more fish in the spring.
    Hey its boat show and outdoor show season, bring it on!!

Jared and Rob's new line of Velocity rods are now officially out and I plan on checking out a few at the ISE here in a couple of weeks.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast