Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

I've used several rods for kokanee my favorites were the red team kokanee rmt rods .I've since changed them all to the blue velocity rods and love them they are reasonably price and have a great warranty. I also used Vance's and okuma's with good suscess

I am looking to add a couple of rods. Not that I am turned off by price I need to see some value in paying much more for custom rods to stick in a rod holder. Same would go for factory rods that are 100 -200 bucks. I have been using the J Johnson Lamiglass and they seem to get the job done. I am posting all of this to ask what am I missing? Does paying more get you more or just a feeling that if it is more expensive it MUST be better?
    Take time before time takes you

Clawman, as a JJ rod user already, I suggest you try the new Velocity rods. Regarding high priced rods, I only picked one as a novelty rod that is a complete noodle, tip to handle.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Anybody use the Diawa Heartland series Kokanee rods?
    Take time before time takes you

Quote Originally Posted by clawman View Post
    Anybody use the Diawa Heartland series Kokanee rods?
    Page 2 of the thread had a couple Heartland comments.

Default Boo rods for koks

Has anyone use boo rods? I have a 9ft 3 or 4 weight I was thinking of converting to a casting rod. Want to use the smallest micro one foot guides 15 in all, spiral. Carbon split handles and a two piece reel seat. What ya all think.
    Sorry, I am new here and haven't done my profile or introduced myself.
    Interesting site. Thanks.
    Outlaw

Welcome to the forum Outlaw. Haven't fished with a bamboo rod for Kokanee before, but it should be alright as long as you are long lining with little or no weight. I definitely wouldn't use it with a downrigger as you would greatly increase the risk of breaking the rod. I build all my Koke trolling rods with a spiral wrap. Are you planning to make the turn quickly with three or four guides or a slow spiral using several guides? Wondering which would put less stress on the split bamboo sections. Where did you get the original bamboo fly rod? Is it an old one or did you build it recently? It would be a shame to mess with one of the old classics.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 08-28-2016 at 01:21 AM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I use Vance's Spiral Wrap 702's , I like the overall action and having the best of both spinning and baitcasting action at the same time . I have always had an attraction to the Spiral Wrap Rods .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I have a few rods one is a 9 ft /5 weight fly rod blank converted a good friend made as a birthday present.I love it,but in my personnel thought its to long for boat fishing. I have 4 rods that are 6 1/2 and 7 ft in lenght 4 weight fly rods blanks converted for kokanee there awesome made by wrapter rods. The boo rods a great idea but too long IMO

Hi guys. Thanks for the replys. After reading more on this it probably would be a waste of time. I have a bunch of glass rods that are waiting to have something done to them so will build a seven ft into a koke rod for a Dr.
    I have a few 9 ft boo rods that are old but not worth a lot but I like em. I always put a fast twist to get to the underside of the rod.
    Outlaw

I use Cabelas Downrigger 8'6" medium action rods. They have the backbone for the big Kokes @ Flaming Gorge and allow you to land the fish without tiring it out so much that it kills the fish (if you release it). These rods are WAY under-rated in my opinion.

I use the Lamiglas Team Kokanee JJ White 8' rods as my downrigger rods and they seem to work just fine as long as the drags are set correctly.

I have two rigged with pre-1971 ABU Ambassadeur 5000A red reels. I modify my 5000's for trolling with later model red B clicker side plates (for early season long lining), drive handle bearing upgrade, custom flat-top drag plates with greased carbon fiber drags, ceramic line pawls, and vintage power handles. I remove the brake blocks as they are not needed in a trolling reel and do no "super tuning" other than clean and re-grease annually.

For later in the season long lining I use a Temple Fork Outfitters Signature Series 8' 6" Medium Action with an ABU Ambassadeur 4500 C3 "Kokanee" that is a special order custom for Fisherman's Warehouse in CA.

My wife's rod is a pink Okuma SST Kokanee with a Tica reel.

For jigging, I use an Okuma SST Kokanee spinning with a Pflueger President and metered Power-Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeFishGuy View Post
    I use Cabelas Downrigger 8'6" medium action rods. They have the backbone for the big Kokes @ Flaming Gorge and allow you to land the fish without tiring it out so much that it kills the fish (if you release it). These rods are WAY under-rated in my opinion.
    you should try the cabelas wuppin stick 8' light rod they are a really great and durable rod, with a really good action for koke fishing the come in around 20 to 30 bucks each but most stores don't carry them. I do in store pick up so no charge for shipping I use these as back ups to my velocity rods and also for wiper trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    you should try the cabelas wuppin stick 8' light rod they are a really great and durable rod, with a really good action for koke fishing the come in around 20 to 30 bucks each but most stores don't carry them. I do in store pick up so no charge for shipping I use these as back ups to my velocity rods and also for wiper trolling.
    I recently picked up 2 of these for Walleye and Wipers. It feels like it should be a great rod, pretty too!

these rods have held up well for 4 and 5 pound wipers and walleye , and have been supple enough for kokanee. i like the light action ones the best but i do have a med light .

Default Lamaglass XCC 801

Hi all
    I picked up one of the XCC 801 GH rods and I love it. I'm not a rod guru or anything, but this rod as upped my hook up % by at least 10 points. I have no good explanation for that, nor can I speak about the tech reasons. I really like this rod for trolling. I have caught soon real nice rainbows and even a 28" laker on it. The rod just seams to work. They call it a steelhead plug rod but it does not seem to know it is catching 12-16 inch kokes or 5-10 pound trout. It's long enough so when you are alone you can keep the fish out away from the boat, while grabbing the net, then just raise the tip then just swim the fish in the net. That increases landing numbers.
    It is just a great rod. Pricey yes but well worth it.
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

I have been using Reddington 4wt fly rods. 7'6". I have them matched to single action large arbor reels for fast retrieve. These reels ad another dimension of fun/challenge when landing fish. I don't let first timers use them unless they want to try. Koks are such a blast!

Default Rod Type

I was using the cabelas depth master 8" down rigger rod in a medium action. I catch all types of fish with them. It seemed though that I was losing my kokes with this rod. I went and picked up two of the Okuma SST-S-762 L and put Diawa Accudepth plus reels on them. My hook up and landing the fish has gone up probably 30%.
    I didn't realize kokes had such soft mouths. That is the neat thing about fishing for different species- you learn something new. I believe all around it makes us better. Thanks for all the input.

So what size line do you all use?

Regards,

Allanspond

i think a medium action rod is is to much rod for koke fishing .i always try for a light action rod unless i'm jigging

Default Okuma SST

I agree. My okuma's are a light action. This has made a huge difference.

Default another lamiglas report

The jury is still out but.........
    Just picked up a four pack of new sticks from Lamiglas and put then to the test yesterday. 2 x KWIK series XCC801 GH and 2 x Custom medium action 9.6 Pro series. They feel great with fish on em and we went from an average 35%-40% hooked to landed to 16 on 15 landed yesterday. Obviously could be a nominally since it's such a small sample size. I'm certain that the very soft end third of these poles is a factor. I put the 8fters on the DR setups and run the longer poles long line out the sides way back. No tangles all day which is a miracle when running four setups no deeper than 15ft and still catching a nice batch of fish. I use a lot of oil with the corn and the graphite/carbon handles are a huge plus as they don't hold the goo like cork.

...also load all of the poles with Okuma 203 cold water reels. LOVE THESE! A lot of reel for these small fish but they work flawlessly with downrigger set downs and I can move them over to salmon/steelhead poles if needed. Far superior to my vast collection of Abu Ambassadors that they replaced and the line counter knowledge is really handy.

Angry Vance's spiral rods

Been using an Okuma sst rod I really liked it until I broke the tip off (totally my fault) I just received the Vances spiral rods I ordered from Kokanee tackle, one 8 ft for lakers and a 7.5 for kokes I am intrigued by the spiral wrap guides, they make sense for a trolling rod, they look well built and match the okuma coldwater reels colors, now to get out and try them.
    [SIGPIC]

I been using custom rods by a good friend Jay from Wraptor Rods he has made tuna rods for the folks at WICKED TUNA tv show. With age comes experience I have gone over to #5 weight fly rod blanks in a 6 1/2 ft and 7 ft size, he uses a pheasant feather pattern with graphite handles, I love them, pull up his web site it's awsome. I had a friend make me a 9 ft 7# weight as a present and fell in love with these type blanks. My wife landed a 14# Mack she caught on Kokanee gear at ODELL on a 5# weight.

Quote Originally Posted by saltrunner75 View Post
    Been using an Okuma sst rod I really liked it until I broke the tip off (totally my fault) I just received the Vances spiral rods I ordered from Kokanee tackle, one 8 ft for lakers and a 7.5 for kokes I am intrigued by the spiral wrap guides, they make sense for a trolling rod, they look well built and match the okuma coldwater reels colors, now to get out and try them.
    I'll be interested to hear your opinion after using them. I have some friends that love them. I've fished with them a couple times on their boats and wasn't a fan of the spiral guides but I think it was because I have a habit of running my hand down the back of the rod when I load it into the downrigger. Doing that with a hand full of eyes was awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by saltrunner75 View Post
    Jay, I'm a fan of Vance's spiral wrap rods. Have a pair of the 702's in my arsenal with Tica gold caimans. I do have an interest in the cold water Okumas, 2 of my Bear L rods have Okuma MA30DX reels and 2 other kokes rods are mounted with Okuma CV15D Convectors. Everything I have I'm happy with. AFDan is also using Vance's spiral wraps 702's.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234