Default Sweet Koke snacks

Smallish kokanee fillets.

Wet brined with:

1 cup non-iodized salt
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 can frozen apple juice concentrate
    2 quarts spring water

Smoked with apple wood for 2 hours then skin removed and glazed with about 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of water. Returned to smoker for 1 more hour without smoke to set the glaze.

Sweeter than most smoked fish with a hint of apple. Kids eat 'em like candy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KokeSnacks 004.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	662  
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

Thanks for sharing your recipes Ron! I'll definitely write this one down and give it a try on the next batch that goes into the smoker.

sounds yummy ron...how long in the brine?

About 9 hours in the brine.
    Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

With the times you've listed, this is either jerky or you've cold smoked them?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    With the times you've listed, this is either jerky or you've cold smoked them?
    I think you'd have a hard time getting jerky with 9 hours in a WET brine that was RINSED off before going in the smoker for a THREE hour smoke. At least it would be in my Big Chief electric smoker. Maybe a cranked up propane or a hot charcoal smoker would dry them out more? Also, the fillets were removed 2/3 of the way through smoking process and therefore had cooled off somewhat. Note that the skin was on for the first 2 hours and 1/3 of the total smoking time was with a heavy glaze applied which not only sweetens but helps add and retain moisture. One could easily adjust the brine and smoking times to personal taste. I'm of Norweigan decent but never aquired a taste for ludfisk.
    Last edited by 3RivrFishr; 07-24-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: ,