Thread: If I were fishing Navajo in Early June

Default If I were fishing Navajo in Early June

I'm going to start a new thread .
    If I were going to fish for Kokanee in early June ,
    I always make a couple passes east of the Island out about 100 ft ot so.Or I might try the east shore straight across from the marina between the San Juan arm south to the Frances arm . Then i'd try along the South shore of Frances arm . Pick up and run over there , there is a shallow ridge you can get hung up on . Its often good from the mouth to the first big bay on the South side.It gets shallow at the first big bay but is deep enough in the channel. Then you need to cross to the north shore , but I wouldnt recommend it with out a depth finder .
    Its often good around the entrance of the San Juan arm . Also along the eastern shore of the Pine River arm from the point up a few miles ,sometimes pretty close to shore , like 50 ft , It drops off fast.
    But schools can be anywhere .

It seems like I have heard some good things about the Kokes down there but I forgot from who. What's your typical size that you catch?

Kevin

I appreciate the info. Is there any size to the Kokes?

This is a totally new fishery for me - I understand there are some fairly good sized browns in the reservoir also. Any info on catching them?
    My wife calls me the "Obsessive Compulsive Fisherman" (OCF)

Lots of 12 - 14" kokanee , some years 19 -20" in August .
    I havent fished for big trout specifically in the lake. I flyfish for big trout in the river below the dam. The lower river below the Aztec bridge to Blanco holds the browns . Mostly private prop and not fished much.
    A couple people that I've talked to trolled in the evenings with good sized plugs .
    I'd bet the big browns and rainbow feed on the Kokes . I've wanted to run a silver plug back and below my koke rigs just to see if it true , but havent tried it yet.

Default Fishing report at Heron Lake

The paper today reported an 18 1/2" kokanee , 3 lbs 2 oz caught at Heron Lake . Nice size for this time of year. Lots of limits caught this week.
    No reports on Navajo. I suspect no one is fishing yet. I can't wait to get up there .

Rather than starting a new thread, just thought I'd add on to this one. Gonna be at Heron Lake in mid June 2010 after Flaming Gorge, and then we're on to Navajo Lake after that. We've been living in NorCal for 11 years now. New Mexico is where we came from. Bought our retirement property near Chama (Heron Lake will be our home lake then). Planning to move back to NM in 2-4 years. Any more info on location/fave lures, etc. for either Heron & Navajo lakes would be greatly appreciated. 2 years ago we were there in early June & fished them both. Before that we were there once in awhile when we lived in NM.
    Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Rather than starting a new thread, just thought I'd add on to this one. Gonna be at Heron Lake in mid June 2010 after Flaming Gorge, and then we're on to Navajo Lake after that. We've been living in NorCal for 11 years now. New Mexico is where we came from. Bought our retirement property near Chama (Heron Lake will be our home lake then). Planning to move back to NM in 2-4 years. Any more info on location/fave lures, etc. for either Heron & Navajo lakes would be greatly appreciated. 2 years ago we were there in early June & fished them both. Before that we were there once in awhile when we lived in NM.
    Froggie
    I can understand why alot of people are moving away from Cali but to leave a nice setting as Sonora? I left Cali because of military installation closures. If it wasn't for that, I would still be in Sacramento. Anyways, there is enough tactics listed in this forum that you can probably come up with a different style of Koke fishing down in the southwest. Not too many reports come out of NM, but hopefully when you relocate, you will stay in touch on this site and we will see more reports come out of NM.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I left Cali because of military installation closures. If it wasn't for that, I would still be in Sacramento.
    A few years of Arnold and the legislators and you'd understand fully Roger. Doesn't matter where in the state you'd try to hide.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I moved NM in 68 from Sacramento . I planned on staying only 2 yrs . Then I planned to move to the front range of Colorado. The weather was so nice , the fishing was so good , the people were so friendly , I never left.
    But don't tell anyone , Its still easy to get away fom traffic and and good fishing .

I havent been able to fish for Kokanee the last 5 yrs . But before that I caught Lots of Kokanee on home made spinner rigges like wedding rings and white corn. Never had to try much of anything else . No flashers or dogers.
    I've never tried scents . Didnt have to .Great fun on down riggers and ultra lite gear. I did or order some gear from Gary to try this year , and a friend and I are building a depth guage therometer to try . Just for fun. PM me if your coming to Navajo and I'll give give you my Cell # if you want to get together.
    I'll be there a lot this year .
    I've never fished Heron Lake. I plan to try it next year. I bought a smaller boat thats easier to tow them my 26 foot Sea Ray .

Dick

Bduck
    Froggie and I are from New Mexico. We have only been in CA for 10 years. The plan has always been to move back. If you have never been to Northern New Mexico or seen a July sunset there you just won't understand! That doesn't even cover the trout, elk, muleys, and lots of open sky you can actually see at night...few clouds and no light pollution! We love this part of CA but who needs all the people and the high dollar lifestyle. We are going to be retiring on teacher's incomes...we can't afford to live here.
    HiTech
    You probably heard from us...every time we go we post.
    Fly guy
    We will definitely be there the end of June...and or early July. Come over to TA and we'll show you Heron and (Icaught my very first koke there 15 years ago) then you can show us Navajo. Maybe Kokes in the morning and pike in the afternoon?
    Yep keep it quiet but New Mexico is not the dessert everyone thinks it is!
    Tortuga
    Last edited by tortuga; 03-13-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Tortuga, Your right on every count of what you said about Calif. You are in a nice setting. I owned a piece of property in Quincy, Ca. Unfortunately, when I retire this year, I am unable to take my single income, and live there. It sounds like you have a piece of heaven awaiting you. Todays economy is set for people to work for the rest of there lives it seems like. My best wishes to you. Roger
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Fly guy
    We will definitely be there the end of June...and or early July. Come over to TA and we'll show you Heron and (Icaught my very first koke there 15 years ago) then you can show us Navajo. Maybe Kokes in the morning and pike in the afternoon?
    Tortuga[/QUOTE]

Its a Deal. Looking forward to it . I'll be moving to the cabin on the San Juan in April .

I have a friend that has a cabin in TA . Last yr I bought a 16 ft alum Kokanee Killer for fishing when I fish Navajo alone , and to tow to Heron . It needs a little work , but will be ready in June . I also Have a 51 lb Lake Trout on my wall . I want to try for some Heron Lakers .

Flyguy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy55 View Post
    Fly guy
    Tortuga
    Its a Deal. Looking forward to it . I'll be moving to the cabin on the San Juan in April .

I have a friend that has a cabin in TA . Last yr I bought a 16 ft alum Kokanee Killer for fishing when I fish Navajo alone , and to tow to Heron . It needs a little work , but will be ready in June . I also Have a 51 lb Lake Trout on my wall . I want to try for some Heron Lakers .

Flyguy[/QUOTE]

We will have our 17' valco with us. plenty of room for another fisherperson. we probably won't be there (Navajo) til the first or second week in July. We will see you then.
    Ben

Default Mac

a 51 pound Lake Trout...oh...my....gawd!!!

Tortouga , you have a PM

OK, you got me---Where is "TA" ?? Maybe the Taos Area?

Any way you will be living and fishing in some wonderful country that we love to visit in the spring when the wind and rain in NW (north west) get to be too much---RAHFISH

TA , Tierra Amarilla , is a very small mountain village near Chama NM .

"OK, you got me---Where is "TA" ?? Maybe the Taos Area?

Any way you will be living and fishing in some wonderful country that we love to visit in the spring when the wind and rain in NW (north west) get to be too much---RAHFISH "