Thread: strawberry 07/25-26

Cool strawberry 07/25-26

finally finished my last test for a week and decided to head up to strawberry to try and get into some kokes, but the fishing was great the catching wasn't so great. Yesterday and today I couldn't find the kokes until just as they shut down. I managed to catch a couple of middle sized ones just out from the dam about 300 yards or so by the hump out there, but I trolled all over into the narrows a way and out on both sides and the fishing was way slow even for cuts (I did manage 4 bows and 3 cuts with some decent size to the cuts from 18-21"). Maybe it was just me but I sure had hoped for better. I was trolling pink, orange, and hyper plaid rmt blades and switched between, orang and pink uv squids, orange serpent spoons, pink criplers and copper/orange, chartreuse, and orange criplers. Trolling speed was around 1.7-2.0. Does any one have any other advice I might try next time. After all the good reports last week I fully expected to slay them, and it was really tough fishing for me. Oh well it was a nice day anyway beautifull weather and not to much wind,
    Jed Burton

hey at least you got out
    I just know stuff...

don't feel bad i have fished strawberry 5 or 6 times a year for the last 4 years and today is the first time i have ever boated a limit kokes in one day of fishing. If i had any advice it would be persistance, o and once you use all your skill try some luck.

Default i think I talked to you today

I think I talked to you guys when you were out on your (very nice) boat. I was the one in the old ugly 17ft trihull with bigfish stickers on the side. We asked how you guys were doing while we trolled by.
    Jed

I'm thinking I'll hit it Monday with my bride. I'll launch from the Soldier Creek side and concentrate in that area as that seems to be the hot area according to all the latest posts. All hints, suggestions, advice, or direction would be gladely accepted.

I'll post up after the fact with any pictures that might support a successful trip.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

The best advise that I can give is be persistant, when you find one koke, go right back through the same spot there will be more in the area. It seemed that everywhere we trolled, they were at 36' no deeper no less, kinda weired. scent your lures with "carp spit" by pro cure, believe it or not, it does make a differance. 1.67mph seemed to be the magic speed.
    Tacklebox mafia
    Utah predator callers

Quote Originally Posted by kokehead View Post
    The best advise that I can give is be persistant, when you find one koke, go right back through the same spot there will be more in the area. It seemed that everywhere we trolled, they were at 36' no deeper no less, kinda weired. scent your lures with "carp spit" by pro cure, believe it or not, it does make a differance. 1.67mph seemed to be the magic speed.
    Dumbass luck don't hurt either, Right Kelly?
    I just know stuff...

like kokehead says, STAY ON THE SAME SPOT, that boat you seen us in is my dads (which is what i trout/kokanee fish out of 90%of the time) and it has gps so we mark whereever we hookup a fish, but i have a smaller bass boat without gps that i equipped with some riggers and when i koke fish from it when i hook a fish i just drop one of my floating planer boards with the flag up and i troll right circles right back over the board and will only pick it up if i don't catch a fish within4 or 5 passes back over, they also sell floating marker bouys,

yea I marked schools of fish and even marked them on my gps I just think we finally found them at the wrong time. We hit those two we caught over there by you guys at around 10:15 and 11:45 and after that we hooked up something really big once and a couple of cuts and some planter bows and that was it. no more kokes. I think if I could have stayed and fished the evening or had found that spot earlier in the day I would have done a lot better on the kokes, but unfortunately I have tests every week for the next three weeks so I won't be fishing again until after finals. I am planning on heading out to the gorge though the third week in august and will hopefully be able to get into them up there a little better,
    jed