Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you set the drag on your downrigger?

I have a problem with my Scotty manuals, but a slightly different one. When letting the weight down, as soon as I pull the lever back, it goes down too fast. It either screams down, or barely moves at all. Is there an adjustment for this, or are they worn out? I bought them used.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve079 View Post
    I have a problem with my Scotty manuals, but a slightly different one. When letting the weight down, as soon as I pull the lever back, it goes down too fast. It either screams down, or barely moves at all. Is there an adjustment for this, or are they worn out? I bought them used.
    I have the Scotty 1060 Depthking. Here's what the maual says for Brake adjustment:
    (1) Lift up (do not twist) to remove counter cover.
    (2) Remove the jam nut, which holds down the counter assembly. Lift the counter assembly off the downrigger. (It lifts straight up ans sometimes requires some gentle prying with two screwdrivers under the opposite edges).
    (3) Using two 9/16 inch wrenches or two small crescent wrenches, hold the bottom nut with one wrench and loosen the top jam nut with the other wrench. With the brake in the off or the "6 o'clock" position, either tighten or loosen the bottom nut as required to obtain the correct brake setting.

With a weight on, the brake should engage automatically when the handle is released, yet slip if constant strain is applied to the wire.

(4) Tighten down the jam nut and re-assemble the counter assembly.

The star knob on all Cannons is the clutch adjustment. Its as simple to adjust as the star drag on a level wind reel.
    With the exception that the Cannon clutch knob is reverse thread. It can catch you off guard if you're not careful.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    With the exception that the Cannon clutch knob is reverse thread. It can catch you off guard if you're not careful.
    Right you are! The way I remember is turn toward the water to release down, turn toward the boat to tighten.
    Its bad luck to be superstitious.

Default Cannons

So, I saw a post not too long ago regarding ball "snubbers". My question is, when you use rubber snubbers does it affect your positive ion output? It seems like it would. The snubbers are designed to be the "weak link" if hung up and also reduce shock to your downrigger, which is a good idea, but just curious if anyone knows how it affects the ions. I have two Cannon Mag 10 electrics

Quote Originally Posted by Sportfishinsteve View Post

So, I saw a post not too long ago regarding ball "snubbers". My question is, when you use rubber snubbers does it affect your positive ion output? It seems like it would. The snubbers are designed to be the "weak link" if hung up and also reduce shock to your downrigger, which is a good idea, but just curious if anyone knows how it affects the ions. I have two Cannon Mag 10 electrics
    I believe the positive ion output runs the entire length of the cable( I just verified this online) , so it would stop just short of the ball in your case.
    Last edited by fish-on-bend; 06-11-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Its bad luck to be superstitious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12