View Poll Results: What type of weight do you use mostly?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ball

36 41.86%
  • Pancake

29 33.72%
  • Fish Shape

20 23.26%
  • Re bar

0 0%
  • Other

1 1.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downrigger Weights

Default Downrigger Weights

What kind of weight do you use? I've been useing 8lb balls for years now, but thinking of making the switch to pancakes. If I'm presently able to see the balls on the fishfinder, would I still be able to with pancakes? Would you say blow back is cut in half, and is there any problems making sharp turns with the pancakes? Also, how much does bending the fin change their tracking? BTW...useing Scotty1060 manuals.

I have been using 10lb pancakes for 3 seasons now. I like them much better than the ball weights because there is less blow back. I can see them on the fish finder just fine. You still have to be careful about really sharp turns, but I have never had any problems with tangles. I have never bent the fins to get a different tracking action to them and don't think I would.

10lb lead fish.....

Bryon

I just started using a 10 lb. Pancake this year.
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I have 10s that I purchased and they actually weight 9, I use them when I want to see the last wrap of cable on my downriggers, and use 8s most of the time; pancakes only! and yes they show up just fine. Tracking Only twisted once and the were 15s Very deep none of it was mine but it sure was a surprise to see the cables come up in front of a big pair of Honda's.

Pancakes when I'm anywhere near structure or bottom and chrome sharks when I'm fishing suspended over deep, deep water.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have had no problem seeing my ball 8 pounders on the sonar. Going up to 10lbs. soon. Not sure of style yet.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

One of the nice features of a pancake is the wide profile and big flat fin. It allows you a large surface area to tape up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pancake.jpg 
Views:	3029 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	429  
    Last edited by SuperD; 04-12-2009 at 07:38 PM.

I need all of the above for that poll here. :-) Pancakes are usually my main weights most of the time.

6lb ball when we do use them.
    live your dreams,love your life.

I've been using fish shape don't remember what they weigh. One has a scent dispenser.

I use pancakes weights ,but have two fish shaped weights as back -ups. Way back in the day I used banana shaped weights. They were absolutely the best weight that I have ever used. Almost impossible to hang up,but them seem that have went the way of the dodo bird.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Default Downrigger Weights

I use the 10lb fish weights. I do get some blow back when fishing shallower. I spray mine with bedliner spray so the electrical current from the downrigger stays in the correct range

I use the ball design, but will switch to pancake through attrition.

I switched to pancakes last year and really like them.They show up fine on the sonar. I don't notice that much difference when turning.
    TBtoad

When I started downrigger fishing I used the standard 8# cannon balls simply because Cabela's threw them in for free. Now I use 10# pancakes just like SuperD without the fin flash. They were green vinyl coated when they were new but after unintentially bottom bouncing them the leading edge started to chip and peel. Last year I completely stripped them of their vinyl coating and sprayed them with the DIY bedliner. This coating didn't last long at all eventhough very little bottom bouncing occurred. This year I'm recoating them with red Plasti Dip. Red was recommended in a very detailed Kokanee fishing article I read once. I'll give it a try and let the forum know the outcome after the season is over unless I read a post telling me to STOP, Don't Do It! Anyway, the pancakes track very well and like Twisted Lines stated, they are actually closer to 9#. They show up extremely well on the finder (no doubt what your seeing) and the blowback is definitely less than cannonballs. I like their stability and true tracking too much to start tweeking the fins. My luck would be to suffer really twisted lines. Maybe that's how he got his name?????

Just got my pancakes and gave my 8# balls to Fish-on-bend in Central Oregon.

Might have to add some tape.

jz

I use the 8 and 10 pound cannonballs , but I really would like to have some more Panckae weights.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I like the Fish mold. The ones that I make are 10.5# and work good for me.

I started with 8lb ball shaped weights then changed over to the 10lb pancake type. Taped up fins that turned out cool! Seems to have less blow back on the downrigger cable too.

Scott
    The Gorge in June!

I am working on a fish mold that will looks like and will be painted like a german brown. I won't use it of course but will give it free to anyone in a derby with me

Speaking of Downrigger weights, have any of you ever used the DR weights that you can load up with scent . Also do you think they work?
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    This year I'm recoating them with red Plasti Dip. Red was recommended in a very detailed Kokanee fishing article I read once. I'll give it a try and let the forum know the outcome after the season is over unless I read a post telling me to STOP, Don't Do It! Anyway, the pancakes track very well and like Twisted Lines stated, they are actually closer to 9#. They show up extremely well on the finder (no doubt what your seeing) and the blowback is definitely less than cannonballs. I like their stability and true tracking too much to start tweeking the fins. My luck would be to suffer really twisted lines. Maybe that's how he got his name?????

Don't do it! I think you would be happier having them powder coated red, I had mine done for 7.00 bucks each they are holding up great. And I have seen more then my share of twisted lines, Thought I was done till I tried the shuttle hawk (Once) TL...

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    Speaking of Downrigger weights, have any of you ever used the DR weights that you can load up with scent . Also do you think they work?
    I sometimes either put gel scent on the balls, or attach a scent dispensers. I think scent trails are a good thing! As far as coating the ball, what I've done is completely cover the ball with different holographic tapes, then a few coats of a product called flex coat (a clear flexible coating.) It comes in a jar in the fly fishing section at Sportsman's.) Held up great going on 4 years now (I try to stay off the bottom.)
    Has anyone tried dropping their weights off at a spray-on bed-liner place? As long as their spraying a truck, maybe they'd spray the weights for a minimal fee? I'm not sure how it would hold up, but might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 04-28-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added more info...

[quote=
    Has anyone tried dropping their weights off at a spray-on bed-liner place? As long as their spraying a truck, maybe they'd spray the weights for a minimal fee? I'm not sure how it would hold up, but might be worth looking into.[/quote]

I have always had my pickup beds sprayed with Linex. I would think the texture is too rough and would cause more drag on the weight. I think powder coat would be the way to go.
    The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast