Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downrigger weight snubbers

I desided against the snubbers. kokaholic got them and when i fish out of his boat i take them off my side of the boat
    I just know stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Petty4life View Post
    I desided against the snubbers. kokaholic got them and when i fish out of his boat i take them off my side of the boat
    I've been useing the snubbers since I started koke fishing. We have Scotty manuals and I use the snubber to lower the ball into the water, and when taking it out...instead of trying to bend over to grab the ball or grabbing ahold of the downrigger cable. They also take some of the shock when you drag the bottom. Why did you decide against them?

I like them and so does my wife. It's a handy handle to raise the weight into the boat.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I have had the oppertunity to use them a few times on my boat since I picked them up. I really like what they are intended to do. HOWEVER, What I dislike is that when I use the draw string retreiver to retrieve the weight up so that I can hook my line into the release, The clip comes up and hits into the retriever sleeve that the line slides through and makes it so that I can not pull the weight up to grab ahold of the release. if I pull it up as far as I can, This also causes the weight to then sway back and forth slamming into the boat and causeing dings and scratches on the boat.

SOOOOOOOOO, I think for now I will be taking them off and storeing them away to try when I have a diffrent boat down the road where they might change tihings a little.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

i have run 200 pound test on 2 of my cannon mag 10's and have had mixed results. the catch rate is about 50/50, wire to power pro. there is no "hum" with the power pro and alot less blow back.

I've use these for one year now. do they get weak after a certain time? I'd hate to lose my weight because of a weakened snubber.
    Take time before time takes you

Certainly not in a year. I think I paid about $8 for my snubbers, so, maybe do a pull test on them next season and see how they are doing. I would think they are probably more susceptible to UV damage than fatigue failure.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have since gone back to using mine. What I did to fix the problems I had before was to take my clips off the rigger weight and attach them to the cable just above the weight. This allws for me to keep the weight in the water and easier to attach everything with the stacker clips rather than directly to the weight.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Monte View Post
    Read this thread:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ighlight=black

It's about catching fish due to the electrical charge on the metal on your boat and downrigger wire.
    Is a black box really needed? I was thinking on getting one, but there are other things I would rather spend a couple hundred dollars on. Would switching to braided line get rid of the negative charge? Or would you still get one from the boat? Would a longer setback help mabe?
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

terek,
    No, a black box isn't mandatory. Just another tool in the arsenal. If you have a hot boat, it becomes more important to either eliminate the cause of the hot boat or get the black box to help over come it. Braid does help eliminate charge. I do not think longer set backs really help.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    terek,
    No, a black box isn't mandatory. Just another tool in the arsenal. If you have a hot boat, it becomes more important to either eliminate the cause of the hot boat or get the black box to help over come it. Braid does help eliminate charge. I do not think longer set backs really help.
    Is there a way to measure if you have a hot boat? I could see it being a problem with aluminum boats, but i got a fiberglass boat, with manual downriggers. If that makes a difference. Sorry for the noob questions. Just got to a point in my life last year where I can afford toys like boats and stuff. I was always the mate, never the skipper, so Im still figuring out all the ins and outs with running a boat.

Yes, "hot boat" is kind of a broad term and can apply to a fiberglass boat with the downrigger wire cutting water that creates a charge. Very simple to measure the next time you are out and lines are down. Take a multi meter and put the black lead to a ground and the red lead to the downrigger cable. That should register a voltage reading in the .5v to .6v, + or minus. At .7 or higher, you are registering toward being hot. .65v happens to be the theoretical sweet spot for making Kokanee excited to strike.

sweet, good to know. I will check next time I am out and see what my next step is gonna be

wahoohunter - I did just that, left about 6 feet of cable on the spool and attached the braid to the cable. I think I used an albright knot. There's a you-tube video showing how to do it. Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1SDq7ruSM
    Last edited by SuperDaveMT; 02-27-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12