Thread: Underwater Spread

Default Underwater Spread

Here's a frostbitten thought of mine I've been kicking around all winter long. Everyone knows we have outriggers, downriggers, planer boards, dipsy divers & stackers but what about an underwater horizontal spread. I'm thinking along the lines of a planer board system off the outside of the downrigger weight. :: I've looked through magazines, catalogs and websites to no avail. Has it been too long of a winter for me?????????? Has anyone heard of something like this, am I trying the reinvent the square wheel or might I just have something here????????? I'm interested to hear all your comments good and bad.
    Last edited by SmokeOnTheWater; 03-26-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Its been a long winter. LOL
    I just know stuff...

You crack me up!!!!!!!!!

I'm not clear if you are speaking of a vertical or horizontal spread. It seems to me that the downriggers create both a vertical and a horizontal spread the way they are layed out on my boat.

Okay, I re-read it. It doesn't really work for Kokes but we bend the fins of our pancake weights to make them swim out away from the boat. But that requires a trolling speed a little higher than we use for kokes.
    Last edited by SuperD; 03-26-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Have you guys looked outside recently? Lots of snow again. Winter is not over yet.

Some Great Lakes salmon fishermen would use a dipsey off the downrigger. The dipsey would bring the lures more to side, away from the boat. So you are not that off track. If you use planer boards you can run half core of lead line off the boards or snap-weights in front of your lures. We would run up to 3 lines per side off the boards. The problem is you need about a mile to make a turn !!! I like getting as many lures as possible in the water, and spreading things out. The outside line off the boards will always get the most hits. And yes, it has been and still is a long winter...We had 10 inches of snow last night...Winter Sucks !!

Guaranteed to put more fish in the boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_spreader_bars_003.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	358  

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee Kid View Post
    Guaranteed to put more fish in the boat
    When I was on Okinawa we used to tie up a similar rig only it had just three lures attached. Usually a rapella like minnow and two squid. This was attached to a "bird" that made a commotion on top of the water. Drive that bad boy through a school of tuna and you had better hold on. Tuna were small, mostly around 3 or 4 pounds each but hook three at once and you had yourself some fun!! Doubles were very common and hooking three at once happened enough to keep it very interesting.

Bob
    Last edited by redmanjr1; 03-30-2009 at 10:18 PM.