Thread: Total Beginner - Trolling Question

Question Total Beginner - Trolling Question

Kokanee beginner here, but totally ready to learn. Question: Can one use a bow mounted electric trolling motor (18.5 foot fiberglass fish and ski boat) for trolling for Kokanee? Or is a gas kicker motor more effective? Thanks.

First of all WELCOME Windsurfgreg I guess you could use a bow mount electric motor providing you have enough battery power. But to be more efficient a kicker would be better. If your running main is 4stroke, a 4stroke kicker would be better and cleaner. There are alot of positives having a kicker vs bow mount. You'll need to fight thru some windy conditions that the kicker(also depends on kicker size) will provide. I have a 20ft ski/fish Bayliner, main motor is an IO, a Merc 9.9 mounted on a stern drive mount that uses a keyless remote for steering. When your out fishing all day, kickers are so efficient. Don't have to really about keeping a charge on the battery/s. :)
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default Beginner

Welcome to the forum!!

B Duck said it all, a 4 stroke motor would be best. But it might depend on how serious you are about fishing. If its a part time thing you could get by with an electric, as large as possible. On my first boat I tried the stern mounted electric but the main problem is the time it runs. You dont want to stop trolling because of a dead battery. Then you add to the cost of an onboard battery charger it gets $$. If you are real serious in the long run the trolling motor is worth the cost.

....Kokonuts.....
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

not much else to say...the kicker is the way to go. if you dont want to spend a bunch on a newer one, it seems you can always find older four strokes out there for a pretty good price. and if you want to be a super troller...get a tr1-gold for the kicker. my dad doesnt seem to want to sell me his. ha ha.

Kicker brand is a matter of your taste and satisfaction. No matter what you get, it'll pay off. Unfortunately we play in a atmosphere that requires lots & lots of $$$$$. I can't turn my back on it. FUN, FUN, FUN
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I used a Bow mount on my 16' Fiberglass and the Troll Speed was awsome, the only Prob. was it would run out of Battery before I was done fishing....started taking to Batteries to the lake...LOL

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the information! Looks like a kicker is almost a necessity. I will have to try the electric motor until frustration makes me spend the $$$.

So do all of you just fish for Kokanee or is this just one species out of many that you like?

I am getting into it because of a property we have at Lake Cushman (Washington) and it seems that Kokanee are in there. I used to bass fish in the Midwest, but those days are over. I need to figure out how to catch fish at Cushman. My daugher and I caught a small Kokanee out there two years ago by jigging a Mepps spinner where I was seeing fish on the fish finder and we want more!

Speaking for myself, i'll fish in a mud puddle if you tell me one is in there.....LOL! I fish for all speicies But every one is'nt as talented as I! HA HA HA....I wish that was the case We have a pretty good bass fishing here as well. Small mouth bass is one of my Favorite summer fish, lots of action if you know where to fish the big CR

Default Been There and Left the Electric trolling Motor

I had a stern mounted 80 lb thrust electric trolling motor. I hooked up 2 very big batteries to it. Worked great, until wind, and until I wanted to fish longer than what the batteries wanted too . So I changed boats, went 4 stroke including the Kicker. Loved my electric 80 lb thrust, love my 4 stroke kicker 100 times more.

Welcome to the forum.

Like allready mentioned a 4 stroke kicker is the way to go for trolling. I only use the bow mounted electric for maneuvering while jigging.

windsurfer

getting the kids out on the water fishing is far more important than waiting until you have all the socially accepted high tech equipment.
    kids are expensive and don't leave lots for boat/fishing equipment, many on this forum are too old to remember that.

throw a couple big deep cycles in the boat, use the main motor to reach the fish and go fishing with the kids, the more times the better. fancy $6000 4 stroke kicker with TR-1 will come in retirement.

you'll miss taking the kids in just a few short years.

As time goes on, 2strokes will be the past. Some states have banned the 2stroke on some lakes for too much pollution. If you thinking of buying a 2stroke, spend a little extra and goe the other way. After all, it takes alot of money to get either one. You won't regret it.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

More great advice! Get the kids out fishing is a really good idea before they grow up....time does seem to keep slipping away.

Pounder mentioned small mouth bass and CR. When you say CR, do you mean Cushman Reservoir? If so, I thought there were some small mouth bass, but don't know exactly how to go about those either. Maybe just Mepps spinners along the shore or plastic worms rigged "carolina" style or what?

Default Trolling plate might be an option

Quote Originally Posted by Windsurfgreg View Post
    Kokanee beginner here, but totally ready to learn. Question: Can one use a bow mounted electric trolling motor (18.5 foot fiberglass fish and ski boat) for trolling for Kokanee? Or is a gas kicker motor more effective? Thanks.
    I have a trolling plate on my 50 Johnson on a16' cc.This set up gets me down to 1.4 mph and is way cheaper($85-90) than a kicker.

If you got kids and you got salmon, you can also forget the trolling and get jiggy with 'm

Default You hit the nail on the head

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    Kicker brand is a matter of your taste and satisfaction. No matter what you get, it'll pay off. Unfortunately we play in a atmosphere that requires lots & lots of $$$$$. I can't turn my back on it. FUN, FUN, FUN
    I used to be a hunting fanatic, big game. All my hunting junk is now in boxes stored and likely not going to get used again. Fishing is turning out to be a lot more expensive, but a heck of a lot more fun and one can go more often and to more different places, states an so on. I Should have started serious fishing a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    I used to be a hunting fanatic, big game. All my hunting junk is now in boxes stored and likely not going to get used again. Fishing is turning out to be a lot more expensive, but a heck of a lot more fun and one can go more often and to more different places, states an so on. I Should have started serious fishing a long time ago.
    Yea, I hunt also but my guns unfortunately are collecting dust. Fishing is easier on my knees. Sometimes it hard to support 2 costly sports. Especially when you come back beat up and don't show anything for it.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Talking Getting in shape is an challenge also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    Yea, I hunt also but my guns unfortunately are collecting dust. Fishing is easier on my knees. Sometimes it hard to support 2 costly sports. Especially when you come back beat up and don't show anything for it.
    I have reached the point where I can't go hunting without getting in shape. I don't have the time for that, nor do I care to get that healthy. Cranking on that reel is all I want to do! I find the trolling pretty relaxing, especialy on a nice sunny wind free day. Thats hard to beat. Deffinetly better than dragging my butt up over some mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
    I have reached the point where I can't go hunting without getting in shape. I don't have the time for that, nor do I care to get that healthy. Cranking on that reel is all I want to do! I find the trolling pretty relaxing, especialy on a nice sunny wind free day. Thats hard to beat. Deffinetly better than dragging my butt up over some mountain.
    Boat, Beer, and fishing is the extent of my exercise.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

All very good replies as usual for this group. I picked up a 4 stroke for my little 12’ last year and love it . A Honda BF100 for under $500. I have a transom mount electric with 2 batteries in the front. Now I can troll all day. I prefer the electric as it is very quite and contributes greatly to my Zen. However if it’s windy forget it, I go to the 4 stroke. Bottom line the electric is way more peaceful.

Can’t wait for the roads to be plowed, last year at Stampede was awesome.

Good luck and have fun

Z