Thread: Night Fishing for Kokes with Ice Fishing Jigs!!

Default Night Fishing for Kokes with Ice Fishing Jigs!!

Here in Connecticut we can night fish for Kokanees!

We anchor fore and aft our boats in 30 to 48 ft. of water and hang lanterns or lights over the side to attract plankton.

We then check our fish finder to see what depth the Kokes may be at.

One night I broke off my last small red #10 hook. Luckly I had a small box of my ice fishing jigs with me. Put on a #12 White Glow in the Dark torpedo shaped verticle jig, gave it a charge to make it glow, tipped it with 2 maggots and a kernnel of Shoepeg Corn. Sent it down to about 36 ft. and immediately hooked into a Koke.
    Got my limit of 8 fish that night!!!

There where 6 other boats in close proximity and I was driving the guys crazy with yells of "Fish On!!!" -> Told them I was using maggots and corn and my secret weapon. I relented a little over an hour later and told them about the ice jig.
    Now they're all using it!!!!!
    Oh! Have used it in daylight with mixed results!

If you can fish for Kokes at night where you are -> Give it try!!!!

SeaDog

Thanks; I have read some on another post here about night fishing, may give it a shot this year, but don't know if I could get out of bed if the limit was only 8

sea dog is right he fishes my home lake also in ct. thats the way we been fishing kokes since the 60s also you get just as many trout as kokes most nights especially rainbows west coast guys ...def try it it works
    live your dreams,love your life.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
    Here in Connecticut we can night fish for Kokanees!

One night I broke off my last small red #10 hook. Luckly I had a small box of my ice fishing jigs with me. Put on a #12 White Glow in the Dark torpedo shaped verticle jig, gave it a charge to make it glow, tipped it with 2 maggots and a kernnel of Shoepeg Corn. Sent it down to about 36 ft. and immediately hooked into a Koke.
    Got my limit of 8 fish that night!!!

SeaDog
    SeaDog
    With few exceptions we cannot night fish in Oregon. My question is what is the difference between an ice fishing jig and other jigs, such a s gibbs minnow or buzzbomb?

As a general definition "ice fishing jigs" have the hooks soldered to the lure but several non-soldered lures are also used for ice fishing.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

yes i believe the ones used are soldered onto the jig body itself genz lindy etc all make ice panfish jigs that work well on kokes also

Quote Originally Posted by MackPrince View Post
    As a general definition "ice fishing jigs" have the hooks soldered to the lure but several non-soldered lures are also used for ice fishing.
    So might these work if I make them glow? If I promise to only keep 8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jiggy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	307  

lol little big for east kokes,try size 1/32oz teardrop i think the hook size is about 10 pretty small hence the name panfish jigs on the plus side with the generally small tackle we use 4lb test ultra light rods you def get the max fight outta the kokes with this lite setup

TL Those might, but night jigging in my experience is a more subtle technique than the daytime. At night it's all about water temp, food source location and picking up on soft hits. Night fishin' is my game, trolling is more of a hobby. Here's a pic of some basic homemade jig styles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glow_hooks.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	316  
    Last edited by MackPrince; 03-17-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

It seems most ice fishing jigs are smaller and weigh less than other types of jigs. This may be due to not having to fish as deep in the winter and the wind not being an issue compared to jigging from a boat when your too deep to anchor trying to target fish at a specific depth.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-12-2009 at 11:49 PM.

TL Those might, but night jigging in my experience is a more subtle technique than the daytime. At night it's all about water temp, food source location and picking up on soft hits. Night fishin' is my game, trolling is more of a hobby. Here's a pic of some basic homemade jig styles.
    MackPrince,

Thank you very much for enclosing photos. That's always a big help to us who don't know the names of some of the lures/jigs. Now you need to figure out how to put your camera in "macro mode". Thanks again for the photos.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Thanks for the picture as well; I have nothing close to that!