Thread: To snub or not to snub?

Default To snub or not to snub?

What do you guys do about snubbers? Are they necessary? Does it depend on the size of the fish you are likely to get, like at Flaming Gorge? If you use them, what kind to you use? Thanks for your suggestions!
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I don't use them. In my opinion they really aren't necessary if you're useing mono line and a limber rod. The only time I might use a snubber is when useing in-line gang trolls, but haven't done that in years. The koks where I fish are not that large unfortunately.

I've tried them and ended up throwing them in the trash.
    It seemed like the fish would "hook up" in a weird way (that's the scientific explanation-but the best I can do).
    Mono seems to have enough "give" for me.
    Never been to the Gorge yet, so my experience has been on CA lakes, only.
    Tight Lines and Screamin' Drags

Back in the day, most fishermen only had a couple multi purpose rods and they were much stiffer than the UL long Koke rods we have today. The snubber was a piece of tackle that adapted the old, stiffer rods to Koke fishing.

I have never found it necessary to use snubbers. Snubbers also take away from the fight of the fish. Part of what I like about Kokanee fishing is the finesse aspect of the playing the fish. So I snub snubbers.

I snub.
    I like to mount it ahead of a lake troll or dodger as compared to behind so it doesn't impact the lure action. They allow for quick rig changes, and give a little error for any overanxious fish fighting.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

I have snubbed before but I don't anymore. The so called shock absorber is to prevent hooks from pulling thru kokes soft mouths. The rods we use now make up for that.

Since I use rubberband to attach to my downrigger ball I do not use a snubber - the rubberband it a under rated line release that I luv!!!
    Leave No Man Behind !!

Thanks for the tips, Guys. It's always an education to listen to all the experienced fishermen here.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

No snubbers, that's why we have these noodle poles and good reel drags to absorb the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundman View Post
    Since I use rubberband to attach to my downrigger ball I do not use a snubber - the rubberband it a under rated line release that I luv!!!

How do you use a rubber band as a release?

On all of the lakes we fish snubbers have proven to lose more fish than they catch.

zfk55
    Living in the middle of Kokanee Country.

Like Hitechkoke said, Limber rods and quality reels is the way to go. Never have used a snubber.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

You only need a snubber if you don't use a limber rod. For example, I used to use a heavy rod, pop gear, and lead to get to the kokes. A snubber helped me in that situation. Now I use downriggers 4/0 doggers and ultra light rods, and reels with smooth drags.