Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Radio's

Default Marine Radio's

If you have a marine radio in your boat, what channels do you use or monitor while your taking care of your passion? I installed one more recently and haven't had a chance to ops check it other than the weather bands. Is there certain channels for the different lakes or are they pretty much the same? I have used CB's in my vehicles for over 30 yrs. I installed a Uniden Solara with a 8' fiber glass antennae. If channels are different for the many lakes, do we need to put together a listing for this or maybe designate a KFF channel?

Great question Bduck, I had the same thought over the weekend.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    If you have a marine radio in your boat, what channels do you use or monitor while your taking care of your passion? I installed one more recently and haven't had a chance to ops check it other than the weather bands. Is there certain channels for the different lakes or are they pretty much the same? I have used CB's in my vehicles for over 30 yrs. I installed a Uniden Solara with a 8' fiber glass antennae. If channels are different for the many lakes, do we need to put together a listing for this or maybe designate a KFF channel?
    most of us monotor and call out on 16 and them move to 68 or 69
    I just know stuff...

The State parks officers monitor Channel 16. This is also the same with all of the Marinas at the Gorge

Along with what Petty said for all the rest of us.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

If you google VHF channels, you'll find that many of the channels are for commercial use only. Chanel 16 is considered a hailing channel. In CA, we pretty much keep it on 69 all the time for lakes.

Appreciate the input, the gov. is always monitoring VHF freqs. I didn't know how much commercial takes up the airwaves. There was a time when you had to have a call sign thru the FCC for CB's. I use to have one. There use to be a fee of I think $25.00 for about a 5yr registration. That was done away with back in the early 80's. CB's are good but getting to cluttered. Channel 16, 38, & 39 sound just fine. But still open to the idea for a designated channel for KFF. I sure we can make one work somewhere maybe not 16. When you think of commercial use, you would think more of the coastal regions and Great Lakes where there are large industries. Inland smaller bodies of water would not be as cluttered. But its only an idea.

There is only a small amount of folks that have the vhf radios on our boats. I really only use mine at The gorge. However I have used it at Powell, willard and Bear lake. But mainly the gorge.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

yes, we're generally on 16 as a call out channel at the gorge or Powell or willard.

Does anyone use the handheld CB walkie talkies? We've found that they work well on lakes...especially between the boat and camp. The newer ones claim 18 mile range.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Nothing gets under my skin more than the guys that get on the radio and feel that they have to talk in sign language. I'm part of another fishing forum community and when we have fishing events, it is all about sharing information. No secret code. If I'm catching fish, I don't mind letting others know where and what on.

YUP Like Superd said . If i'm catching fish on something that is working i let others know. We made a few spinner set ups that was a hot item at Berryessa a few yrs. back and gave them to the guys .. Makes me feel good to see others catch fish. it's called being a sportsman.

Ok, so just what would be a Good radio to have onboard? I am looking for for suggestions.movie
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I can understand both sides of the coin,when it comes to giving out the who,what ,where ,when ,why's . Some people feel that ,because they have spent the time, and the money to learn .they will keep that information to themselves. That is certainty their right to do that. I will always do what I can to help someone if I'm approached in the right manner. If someone asks me at the ramp ,or in the parking lot what was working that day for me.I will do my best to help them. But i will NEVER blurt out that kind of info on the VHF.

Speaking of VHF's as it been said already ,here at the gorge we use ch 16 for hailing ,then switch to a side channel.Usually 68 or 26,depends on who I'm talking too.One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to talking on a vhf. Are the people that talk on it,like it a CB radio. I don't think it to much to ask for people to learn the basic procedures when talking on vhf.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

propnut, please explain your philosophy for not sharing on the radio? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    propnut, please explain your philosophy for not sharing on the radio? Just curious.
    Because to many times I have told someone on the radio ,what was working for me,and where I was was. Only to have ten other boats move in on top of me.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Not a lot of people I know have radios in Oregon. When I am fishing with friends we tend to use Ch 78.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    Because to many times I have told someone on the radio ,what was working for me,and where I was was. Only to have ten other boats move in on top of me.
    I've had the same problem. I have no problem sharing info back at the ramp, parking lot, or camp. But I don't say much over the radio because the crowd triples when info like that is shared at the Gorge.

A big radio is another thing to get wet on my small boat. The handheld CB works fine for basic communication with the wives back at camp.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Monte View Post
    A big radio is another thing to get wet on my small boat. The handheld CB works fine for basic communication with the wives back at camp.
    Don't forget your real leash, your wife has your cell number. She knows where you are at all times.

Ha! Got ya! I don't have a cell phone. The wife does. On my last job, I learned to hate cell phones because of the "leash" effect. Life's complicated enough without another leash on my neck.
    Age 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    Can you think of a way to use that to your advantage?

My experience at the Gorge was all we had to do was swing the net a few times and we were a boat magnet.

Don't forget about the talk about radios that can be purchased cheaply. When they started making TALK ABOUTS, they had women or(your wife) on their minds.

Hi All

A standard radio channel for KFF sounds GREAT! I've only had mine for two years and have been instructed to monitor CH 16 and then switch to another channel so as not to tie up the hailing frequency. Geez, sounds like Star Trek!

One aspect to considder when shopping for a radio. Don't just focus on radio price until you factor in the price of a MATCHING antenna. READ the owners manual of the radio and note the decible output during transmission. You'll need to insure the antenna is rated for the same output. Most store salespeople don't know and don't take the time to understand the products they sell. Case in point, I bought my radio, a Lowrance, from Sportsman's Warehouse on sale but guess what, they don't sell antennas or connectors. I ended up researching the web for a compatible antenna and finally ordered a Shakepeare from Cabelas. The entire communication package cost about $225 when all was said and done. Oh yeah, I paid $80 for the radio.

I can almost read your minds!

Guess again, It works GREAT though, NO PROBLEMS!

SmokeOnTheWater

Default Radios

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    What some of the posts have eluded to and is most important is that Channel 16 is an emergency channel monitored by a lot of agencies including State Parks, Park Rangers, Coast Guard and Auxilliary boats. It's used primarily for assistance or emergencies, but you are allowed to hail other boats than go to another channel to chat. You are NOT allowed to have a general conversation on that channel. Personaly, I monitor 16 as well as weather and several other channels. I really believe in a good marine band radio being on a boat. I've answered dozens of calls over the years for boaters in distress or in an emergency. When buying a radio, you should get the one that has an emergency switch that sends a signal to the agencies if you are in distress.
    Can't even imagine being on the water without a radio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast