Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "bucket" tackle organizer...good rainy day project

Quote Originally Posted by Gadabout View Post
    OK, thanks Monte for trying to fill in what would had been another boring day. Went to Tap plastics got a red 5 gal bucket/w lid. Then a round plastic thing for the bottom. 1/2 inch pvc pipe with glue. The 27/32 drill bit was another thing. Orchard had them for $32.00 bucks-NO way was I going to get that one so I ground off the large bit I had and it work. Removed the form from my neighbors house and Presto. Done. Thanks again- NOW WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO TO KEEP BUSY IN THIS RAIN.
    I have a set of drill bits and didn't have to buy just one. They really nail you when you want to buy just one bit. It's an unusual size, but it's the closest to the outside diameter of 1/2 inch pvc pipe. The best bits are the Forstner type bits that don't grab the work piece as the drill goes through. I don't have one of those. When a regular drill grabs the work piece, it can sling it around and cause you injury, so the work piece needs to be clamped. It can also damage the hole, making it more difficult to glue it well. If you are just a regular guy, without a big selection of drill bits, you could use a "spade" bit that is designed for woodworking. A 7/8 inch spade bit could be ground down to 27/32 quite easily. It wouldn't take much grinding to make it the right size... 1/64 inch off each side. I'd use a vernier caliper to make sure it was the right size, and then make a hole in a test piece of plastic to see if the pvc pipe would fit snugly.
    Last edited by Full_Monte; 02-18-2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Thought I was happy with my tackle bags till I left a few things out and a fish got twisting not having room for a bucket to trip on here is what I did with a couple 4' pieces of pvc; once again twisted lines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	609  

Looks good! Where did you get the rubber holders for the pvc pipe?
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

I gave up the rod holders on one side of the boat, need to find some like them for my little boat hate to try to put it all back in a bag...

I've been using pipe insulation to store my lures for a long time . The tackle bucket idea looks great.
    I just use a loop knot on the end of the leader. I use 1/2 a round toothpick pushed into the foam at an angle to hold the loop end to the foam .

My rods tend to bounce out of the rubber ones like twisted lines has. I saw this from Cabelas and thought it looked much more secure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12