Thread: Pig, 7-9

Default Pig, 7-9

I was the only boat on the water last night. Caught a handful of single serving salmon. I usually use a tiny spoon behind my pop gear (dick knight). It is a single hook with a barb. I bet I loose 40-50% of my kokes right at the boat. Any advice? I think I am going to switch my fav lure to a treble hook. Any other ideas?

Correction: It was 7-8 when I was on the water. I will probably go Saturday morning too.

I don't know if replacing the single hook with a tribble hook would throw off the action but it is worth a try. We did fairly good at the Gorge last weekend when we used the tripple hooks over the single hooks. Also try using a sling blade instead of pop gear.

I am of big fan of Dick Nite and can hopefully give you some to help you not not loose fish at the boat.

First the kokanee use your pop-gear for leverage and will tear free - try puting a rubber snubber at the end of your pop-gear to act a shock-absorder.

Secondly try to keep the fish from jumping by holding your rod tip underwater when reeling the fish into the boat.

Third - get a extenable handled rubber mesh net. This is a great tool to reach out and get them before they shake free.

Personally - I think the single hook simulates the tail - so if you replace the single with a treble be sure and use bright silver trebles but of course as WH said - I believe your lure action will suffer.

And remember it's called Fishing instead of Catching for a Reason. :)
    Leave No Man Behind !!

where do you guys launch at Porcupine? I have not been up there in 15 years till last Sat. where I launched last time was full of people camping and playing in the water. I seen a place about halfway between the dam and the east end but did not dare try it, just wondering, thanks

sounds like you where at the back launching, thats probly the best spot but it does get crowded, I used to launch at that mid spot you saw its steep but doable. I used to launch my 14ft boat there with my car so 4wd truck should be no problem
    I just know stuff...

Ya I was a bit myphed at the rudeness of those campers, ended up leaving!what a waste of gas.

The launch half way back on the north side is not too bad in a 4x4. I tried it once in my 2x4 chevy s10 and got rejected several times while i was trying to leave. Thanks for all the tips on the dick nite. i usually do use a snubber but i have been putting it on the front end of the pop gear. I think I will try putting it on the other side next time. my main problem is that I go alone a lot and never have a net man. I always have to power-land them into the boat.

the other day I launched at the campground launch on the east end. there were some hippies dressed up like moses and his wife playing some wierd instruments, flutes, strange drums, and another lady clacking 2 rocks together. they had some prayer mats all laid out in the middle of the launch. I just pulled into position and they scampered when they saw the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by milenine View Post
    the other day I launched at the campground launch on the east end. there were some hippies dressed up like moses and his wife playing some wierd instruments, flutes, strange drums, and another lady clacking 2 rocks together. they had some prayer mats all laid out in the middle of the launch. I just pulled into position and they scampered when they saw the alternative.
    LMAO
    I just know stuff...