Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downrigger mounts

Default Downrigger mounts

Hey i need some ideas on how to mount my downriggers on my boat. post some pic of your set up so i can look at different ways in doing it. thanks Petty

Petty, I saw you bought Scottys and I have Cannons so I can't help you with a picture but I'll contribute this. Consider if you will ever have 4 riggers so that you make this mounting practical for the next step. It looks like you will have your own challenges working with a fish/ski boat so post some pictures of your gunnels and transom area so we can see what we've got to work with.

i'd like to see different ideas even if they are different brands.

I'm going to add a 3rd rigger eventually and have a bracket already on the boat for that.

If your third dr will be in a rear corner, make sure that the side dr won't interfer with it when it is turned back for traveling mode. Often that means that the back mount be a little inboard on the transom so that the boom of the side dr doesn't hit the rear dr.

Just get you some mounts like Mark has for his scottys. Just make sure you have room to work around your riggers when you do mount them. I Learned that one the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokehead View Post
    Just get you some mounts like Mark has for his scottys. Just make sure you have room to work around your riggers when you do mount them. I Learned that one the hard way.
    I've looked at that Kelly and they wont mount up. and would put bruises on my knees every time i walked by them

Quote Originally Posted by Petty4life View Post
    I've looked at that Kelly and they wont mount up. and would put bruises on my knees every time i walked by them
    This is a pic of my mounts with a rod holder installed and under it is how I would consider doing it if I didn't have any. Cut the plastic to length bore it and install the bolts covering the hole for the old riggers; If you are looking for a swivel I have a brand new one I opened the box for the base in the picture...Have the plastic and a couple lathes if you need help and it will work for you.......PS postage will be necessary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mount 006.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	215  

ok this is what i go. i want the riggers mounted between the 2 flush mounts

here is a pic of the gunwals with a tape on them

here is the mount i need to use

Do you have Tap Plastics where you are? They have a website if you don't. The goal here will be to buy a piece of lexan the same size as your mounting plate. You can create your own bolt pattern on the new piece of lexan to fit your gunnel and then mount the Scotty plate to the plate you've securely mounted to your boat. It doesn't even have to be lexan, you could find a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and achieve the same thing.

here is the problem with that

some idiot will smack themself on the plate

I would probably be that Idiot!
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Not with the Scotty mount on top of it and a GIANT downrigger on top of that. I would assume your downriggers will be mounted 99% of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by twisted lines View Post

That's the cadillac solution right there! But pricey like one too. If you do plan on putting the downriggers on and off, I'd definitely go this route.

These are Bert's Tackle DR brackets, they might work for your boat. I used them for my rear downriggers.

would like to find a cheaper way to mount them. im going to run into sportsmans warehouse tomorrow and see if they have anything different

Are you really going to take them on and off? You bought those heavy lawn mowers and I bet they are on all the time. Your plate method is the frugal way to go.

yes ill be taking them on and off, off while traveling and storing and fishing for wipers they will just get in the way.

this post wasnt ment for just me i know a couple other guys that are looking at different ways to mount there riggers and are watching this post closly

Hey Jason, I cant recall if you've ever seen my boat, but its a fiberglass ski boat as well. My gunnels are only 4" wide, so I had the same problem. What I ended up doing was going with a gimball mount. Look them up on cabelas to get an idea. They are made by cannon, but cabelas has one too. I believe they'd work fine for your scotty's, but I'm not postitive. What you do is drill a hole and mount a flush gimbal rod holder. The gimball base then slips simply in and out as needed. Check sportsmans for their TiteLok brand rod holders (theyre cheaper, and work fine). I believe they also have the gimbal mounts for cheaper than cabelas.

If you want I could get a pic tomorrow for you. I really think you'd like this hook up, when the riggers are out all you have is a couple extra flush rod holders.

Brett, your talking about something like this right?

Right on Jason, thats the mount I use on my two outside downriggers. Works great!

well, i got a message from a friend not to drill any holes in my boat so he came over and looked at what i had and ill have pics next week of my mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
    These are Bert's Tackle DR brackets, they might work for your boat. I used them for my rear downriggers.
    Hey Ron - Welcome to the boards and than thanks for the photos on those mounts as I've seen them once before on a DW and wanted to determine where they came from. I think it was Sac ISE show a few years ago.

A quick Google search yielded the parts here:

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0017411.shtml

Tks.
    Kevin

I have two different set ups. One set like Ron G, & one Canon set.

Berts Track set up, I just finished these yesterday. When You take the mounting bases out you can slide a plastic insert in & it acts as a step. I bought a couple of extra inserts & cut them to fill in the track.

These are Canon mounts. Notice the SS plate under them. When I take the bases off the plate stays & looks very custom.

The Canon pedestal mounts are 4 7/8" square .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast