Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colored Downrigger weights

Speaking of ball trolls, has anyone tried attaching them to the rigger wire instead of the weight, then attaching the release clip 3-4' above it? Using the black box, this could extend the field closer to the lure it seems. I use ball trolls in tandem (8' long) which have been insulated from the wire when attached to the ball (because of the rubber snubber).

we have always attached the ball troll to the ball and then cliped the release to the line above. little easier to get a better idea of my exact depth and also not so much more line from your rigger down to bring up. However, its whatever works best for you for wearever you fish,
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Default Down Rigger Weights

WoW!! I love this homemade stuff!! Sounds like we are off & running on another winter project!

Silver Bullets, I thought BALL TROLLS were just regular flashers hung on the ball. Sooo what are you using thats
    8 ft. long?

I have been attaching a regular flasher ( 2ft. or so ) to the ball & the release to the flasher then dropping back at least 10-20 ft to the dodger & lure. Does this sound right?
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Kokonuts...
    The trolls I have been useing are Vance's Ball Trolls. They are 4' long, and I use 2 in tandem. I run them off the ball, and attach my release clip above on the rigger wire. I then let out line so my dodger is 2' in back of the trolls, and running 4' above. Running this close to the ball is only effective when your at least 40' down in my opinion. Any farther up in the water column I generally get back away from the boat, and shed the trolls.
    I have heard of attaching the release clip to the ball trolls, but it seems to me that when you set up your rod and get a good arch, your pulling up on the trolls, thus restricting their rotation, vibration., and flash. I have heard success with this though... when the trolls are pulled up at an angle, the blades flutter more than spin, and that action can attract the koks too. When useing trolls this length, lower the downrigger ball slowly, and be aware of their location when they are raised up. I have used this set up for a few years now, and it really seems to get their attention.

Default Downrigger weights

Thanks Silver Bullets, I checked them out at Vances on line. Now I will have to see what I can make up out in the "SHOP".
    I have been using the Berkley Steelon Nylon coated wire in 15lb test for Flashers, it comes in a 30ft. spool. The wire is very thin, .021 dia., flexable & the black coating is very smooth. It does come in heavy weights. Now I will have to find some blades! ......Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Here's a photo of my steel (not re-bar) stick weights. I had my dad create 3 more for me while I was on Christmas vacation... it helps to have a machine shop as well. :-) These are roughly 19 inches x 1.25 and an eye bolt in the top. The black one is one of my originals that I tool dipped. I'll probably go to 1.5 diameter thickness the next round to make them heavier and maybe a bit shorter. They way about 7 lbs each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0291_std.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	195  

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    I was reading the post on Downrigger weights that some prefer, here is something else to ponder. Does anyone use any other color on their weights besides Black? If so what colors and does it really matter/movie
    I read the red article years ago, and made a mold for 8# pancakes and had them powder coated in red and black, have tried various tapes on them and the red with silver tape is always on my side, but I do still compare with 3 others on the other side Tried for about a hour to post a picture last night, and will give it another attempt some day but not soon. Now for the stick weights, anyone tried to put the eye on the side 6-8" back and pull it horizontal instead of vertical ? how much does the bottom of the stick weight trail the top at trolling speed near the surface where you can see it? The chrome idea is good but why chrome stainless, Its in the way but i would probably not drag it intensionally

Name:	weights 002.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	205  
    Last edited by twisted lines; 01-26-2009 at 02:16 PM.

I use the chrome Shark downrigger weights. They are pricey (about $80) but I feel they are worth the price.
    Here in Northern CA we are trolling 45-60 feet for Kokes, so the less you attach to the weight the less drag in the water.
    Anytime I am below 25' my set back is 8-10' so I can use the attracting qualities of the Shark weights.

I've made weights, like I'm sure many of you've done, by melting lead and pouring into an open topped aluminum beer can or regular tin can. I just stick a wire loop in the molton lead for the eye.
    How much it weighs is dependent on how full you fill the can.
    Salmon and kokes don't seem to mind my crude work. I haven't painted them.

You are damn right that color makes a difference....I use nothing but fish shaped 10lb. rubber coated downrigger weights painted to look like Kokanee or Rainbows. Many times I have had a big "bump" on my weight from what I believe to be a curious Mac. I believe that the fish shaped weight attracts other fish just like a lure does, and the more detailed the paint job, the better it does in attracting fish. Good Luck...........

Quote Originally Posted by devil boat View Post
    You are damn right that color makes a difference....I use nothing but fish shaped 10lb. rubber coated downrigger weights painted to look like Kokanee or Rainbows. Many times I have had a big "bump" on my weight from what I believe to be a curious Mac. I believe that the fish shaped weight attracts other fish just like a lure does, and the more detailed the paint job, the better it does in attracting fish. Good Luck...........
    Have you had any issues attracting predator fish while useing a short set-back for kokes? I've read about the success with the shark weight, and often wondered about this since it resembles a small fish.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 06-03-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechKoke View Post
    Here's a photo of my steel (not re-bar) stick weights. I had my dad create 3 more for me while I was on Christmas vacation... it helps to have a machine shop as well. :-) These are roughly 19 inches x 1.25 and an eye bolt in the top. The black one is one of my originals that I tool dipped. I'll probably go to 1.5 diameter thickness the next round to make them heavier and maybe a bit shorter. They way about 7 lbs each.
    Thanks and it finally happened today with a little twist just a little more to do to finish then let the testing begin, Oh that's four months away.

Name:	sticks.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	1094  

The bottom one looks like a snag waiting to happen. I assume it was designed to move away from the boat.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    The bottom one looks like a snag waiting to happen. I assume it was designed to move away from the boat.
    Someone asked if it was an anchor! That is one I don't plan on dragging. got 9 other's for that, "move away from the boat" almost!

What happened to the discussion about downrigger weight COLOR???

My 10# pancakes are red and I seemed to get more fish this past season than ever before. Although other factors may account for the increased success, I'm sure the red weghts didn't hinder it. I just found some red and white reflector tape that I will be adding to the fins of these same pancakes. I also employ lengthy setbacks that are probably not affected by the color of the weight itself. The reflector tape will serve as an added attractor to pull fish in from farther away. If I plan the setback just right, my presentation with the hooks will be right on time.

Thou who opened it asked! try reading posts.

I was reading the post on Downrigger weights that some prefer, here is something else to ponder. Does anyone use any other color on their weights besides Black? If so what colors and does it really matter/movie

Ok, guys what are these rebar weights you are talking about?
    Last edited by twisted lines; 04-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Twisted lines , I posted the Original Question about DOWNRIGGER COLORS and WHY? I don't know where or when the discussion got a little off track , but I have been watching this post regularly . I don't have a problem with the imformation that has come up , I welcome all input. Too much info is better that none at all.
    I find it very interesting to hear and sometimes see some of the ideas that folks come up with or are testing . I wasn't aware of all the different types of Downrigger weights that are used , I guess that it depends on where you live .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I am glad I took the time to read your post last year and have been wanting to try these weights after reading about them through your postings I have not seen them anywhere else nor heard of them! Thanks I like the fact they may not show on the Fish finder as much as some other weights. Mine are SS Shiny Steal with colored tape some day if thats important.

Twisted lines , I posted the Original Question about DOWNRIGGER COLORS and WHY? I don't know where or when the discussion got a little off track , but I have been watching this post regularly . I don't have a problem with the imformation that has come up , I welcome all input. Too much info is better that none at all.
    I find it very interesting to hear and sometimes see some of the ideas that folks come up with or are testing . I wasn't aware of all the different types of Downrigger weights that are used , I guess that it depends on where you live .

Default left side Pancake fish!

Almost finished after Kokonuts post some time back. Like I need more weights Soon to be Pink!

Name:	lfp 002.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	1328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lfp 003.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1329  

Default Homemade DR weights

Quote Originally Posted by twisted lines View Post
    Almost finished after Kokonuts post some time back. Like I need more weights Soon to be Pink!
    Good looking weights! Is that sheet metal you are using for the fin?

I posted some pictures on my album here (P.3) because thats the only way I could get them on. I am working on some other styles now!

.....Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I cover mine with holographic tape...

Name:	SSCN0103.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	1330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0104.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	1331  

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullets View Post
    Gary, I think you gave away what type of hippy you used to be back in the day.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullets View Post
    I find the Silver Holographic Tape seems to make the Kokes think it's another Koke.

"The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Back to "what color". In the article "Catching Large Kokanee" by Phil Johnson and Phil Pirone let me quote the following passage, "Phil (Johnson) uses the finned or rudder type downrigger ball that he coats with red or black rubberized material. There is evidence that the red ball tends to be less visible to a fish than the standard black downrigger ball. He feels he gets more bites with the red weights."

We use white finned 10lb with holographic tape and 3 foot Macks lure "flashlight" trolls with clips at the back and run the dodgers 3-6 ft behind that. We have had great success with that.
    Perhaps the biggest advantage of being within 8-10 ft of the ball is the ability to turn sharply. When we hit a pod of fish, we will almost spin a circle and do not tangle up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast