Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colored Downrigger weights

I have to give coldfooter a shoot out. I just picked up my new fish shaped down rigger weights and can't wait to use them! Maybe I'll have to do a high tech experiment between them and my black, doctored up pan cake weights. Or maybe not, these are sweet looking weights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0523.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	1419  

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNBAGGER View Post
    I have to give coldfooter a shoot out. I just picked up my new fish shaped down rigger weights and can't wait to use them! Maybe I'll have to do a high tech experiment between them and my black, doctored up pan cake weights. Or maybe not, these are sweet looking weights.
    I would be especially interested in what they look like on the FF. It would appear they would really bounce the signal and may clutter up the screen more than a pancake. They sure look great and the FF issue is the only thing that so far has kept me from pulling the trigger.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

thanks for the info ive got a fish weight im gonna paint or crome somehow like another kokanee the whole idea is to attract fish into a feeding frenzy by all the flashers, if to much clutter on the ff theres always spray paint

Did anyone do more research on this topic this last season? I just bought some orange pancakes from Cabelas. Silver tape on the fins?

Name:	orangeweight.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	2108  
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Dave, Do you have any examples to lay up against the orange? I'm wandering how a thin red reflective border would look around the fin edges.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Did anyone do more research on this topic this last season? I just bought some orange pancakes from Cabelas. Silver tape on the fins?
    I did put one of my pancake fish in the water the first trip out for a few minutes and found it had a little more action then I wanted at the upper speed for Kokanee, it would make a full large circle after trying to detune it twice in the boat while fishing put further testing off.

Are your new weights listed at 10s but weight closer to 9 ? I think you will like them.

Nice weights Dave! Since the UV dodgers have been working out so well the last couple years have you concidered useing UV tape on the fin? Delta Tackle has it...item #08440.

I couldn't find anything to look at on their website. You got any to show a picture of it?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I couldn't find anything to look at on their website. You got any to show a picture of it?
    Yep...it's not on their web site. I special order it through Wholesale Sports (fomally Sportman's Warehouse.) They don't carry Delta products but since Delta and Gibbs merged awhile back I had them put it on their next Gibbs Order. The tape looks to be an exact match to the tape Shasta Tackle uses on their dodgers that they advertise to be UV. I talked to Gary Miralles about it once...he said the tape isn't uv but the coating is. All I know is it seems to work. The last picture of dodgers in my album show a couple that I added the tape to. I like to add it to the back of alot dodgers (especially the shasta uv dodgers) for twice the effect.

Name:	SSCN0271.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	3136  
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 09-17-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added picture of uv tape

I think painting down-rigger weights various colors catches more fish just like buying colored condoms gets you more women...
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

....Monte cant you keep a SECRET? .....
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Can I use the same analogy for glow in the dark condoms and glow in the dark fishing lures?

You can use the analogy if you like, but you would have to test it out. I think you would get some funny looks from your fishing buddies wearing a glow-in-the-dark condom on a pre-dawn fishing trip. The proof would be if you come back to the dock with more women than fish....
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Looking for a vote. Which tape would you pick, option 1 or option 2?

Name:	weighttape1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	2112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weighttape2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	2113  

I like option one.I'm just wondering if those glow in the dark thingys would fit on a pancake wt.

I think they both look good. The silver tape should produce a good contrast between the shade of grey the red/orange turns as it goes down the water colume.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    I think they both look good. The silver tape should produce a good contrast between the shade of grey the red/orange turns as it goes down the water colume.
    Me too but at this point the red is just laying on top waiting for you guys to convince me one way or the other so I can complete the back sides of the fins.

I vote for option #2 with the red stripe. I always figure if the scent of blood gets the sharks into a frenzy then a flash a red in the water would trigger any fish to attack. Kokes can be violent little suckers!

Option 1. Red disappears into grey/black in the first few feet of water depth.
    Age 65.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234