Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee Power in utah/wyoming

Default Kokanee Power in utah/wyoming

We need to get a chapter of KOKANEE POWER for utah and wyoming. Anyone want to spear head it? I would be glad to help out where i can. It can only be a good thing to have our own chapter
    I just know stuff...

I would be more then happy to help out in any way that I can. I know of all the good that kokanee power does for Cali and Oregon. Since both the Utah DWR and the Wyo g&f are putting monies into their koke programs,we don't fall under the same blanket of problems that Cali has. As with any thing this could change in the future,and maybe having a local chapter of kokanee power would help to stop this from happening. I have read that the President of kokanee power(Gary Coe) is having some health issues,and has had to step down until his health get better.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

What does kokanee power do? I know thats probly a stupid question, but I would really like to know.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    What does kokanee power do? I know thats probly a stupid question, but I would really like to know.thanks

Kokanee power
    I just know stuff...

I am extremely interested in being involved in our own chapter.

I have contacted Al Millan and Kevin Smith they are going to call me this week with the info on starting a chapter here in Utah I liked what AL had to say about it ( Starting a chapter is easy. Managing and making it work is the hard part.) I will let everyone know what they have to say

Right on reaper, thanx for the front work. Let me know if you need help.
    Kokanee power will do great things for Ut/Wyo waters. Can't wait to see what happens.
    Tacklebox mafia
    Utah predator callers

I am a member of KPower in Calif. It is a great group of guys that love to fish for Kokes and more importantly make sure there is a future for these fish. There are other Kokanee groups but, in my opinion, this is the best group. Not political and dedicated to the preservation of Kokanee. Here is a link to their web site:http://www.kokaneepower.org/

Hey Jimj, thanks and welcome to our little piece of the kokanee world. It's good to hear from a member of KP ,and get a inside perspective. Any words of wisdom or encouragement ,about starting a chapter of KP here would be appreciated.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Quote Originally Posted by 4jimj@sbcglobal.net View Post
    I am a member of KPower in Calif. It is a great group of guys that love to fish for Kokes and more importantly make sure there is a future for these fish. There are other Kokanee groups but, in my opinion, this is the best group. Not political and dedicated to the preservation of Kokanee. Here is a link to their web site:http://www.kokaneepower.org/

Welcome aboard 4jimj. Nice to have a Calif, guy around here hope to see more.
    will welcome any advice on getting our own chaper of KP here
    I just know stuff...

Default Kokanee Power

I was just thinking the other day that Utah does need to have a chapter as well. I was going to contact them as well to see what needed to be done. I am defintly interested in helping out as well and will do anything I can. Let me know
    You can email me directly @ info@curlyslures.com
    Thanks, Jason Livingston

To keep everyone up to date on the KP situation so far I haven't had the chance to speak with Al or Kevin as of yet I was hopeing to here from them last week but I think the holiday weekend had everyone busy with there family's I will let you all know as soon as I here anything thanks
    Don J.

kr77 ONCE WE GET THE BALL ROLLING ON kp I'LL CREATE A NEW FORUM HERE ON KOKANEEFISHINGFORUM FOR KP BUSSINESS
    I just know stuff...

I finally got a chance to speak with Al Millan who gave me a ton of advice on where to start with establishing a KP here in Utah/Wyoming. He is very excited about having a chapter here. The first goal is to contact the DWR and see if they are willing to work with us and except our help through the KP organization that will be the deciding factor for us. If fish and game do not want us involved then we will be limited to what we can do. I will try to contact them tomorrow and see where we stand. After speaking with Al I am definitely convinced Kokanee Power is the right choice here in Utah and Wyoming. I am going to need some individuals to step up when this gets moving. We have a great chance to make some changes and insure a better fishery here if we take this opportunity and make the most of it
    Don J.
    Last edited by KokaneeReaper77; 07-10-2008 at 06:55 AM.

I spoke with the Wyoming Chief of Fisheries Mike Stone and the regional supervisor over Flaming gorge and Fontenelle Rob Kieth they both said they would support a Kokanee Power involvement especially for Flaming Gorge the demands they try to meet each year on Kokanee are huge. Just to let you know The burbot issue was the main topic from both I spoke with Rob for quiet awhile on what we could do to help out as a group and His biggest point is to catch as many burbot as possible there currently is no limit on burbot at the gorge. Keep in mined you can not waste them but please do not let any go I suggested possibly holding a tournament for burbot and he agreed that would be a excellent way to help out. So one state down one more to go
    Don J.

That sounds great I would think that Utah would love to have it here , but you never know. Actually I was thinking the same thing the other day as i mentioned the burbot problem to you. I was thinking we could get a huge gathering of people to focus on and fish for burbot. We could get stuff donated to us and have a raffle and a bbq, and boil some burbot and eat them and have a great time. I have a place in Manila, that could sleep probably 8 people. Like I said I am willing to help in an any way I can.

Right on Curly thats the kind of attitude that we will need I am going to be meeting with the folks from wyoming fish and game this fall and would like some other people there with me. We can go over a game plan on a fishing tournament with them and see how we can help the fish and game at the same time make it a win win situation.

Can we coin it the 1st ANNUAL BURBOT BASH?

Sounds good to me

let me know what you need help with Don and ill be there. I would be up for a burbot bash anytime
    I just know stuff...

I talked with Utah fish and game biologist Lowel Marsh for Flaming Gorge today he was optimistic and had some volunteer work for us in the near future on removing some beaver dams on sheep creek to help the kokanee spawn If we can get KP up and running I would like to participate in that would any one else be interested in something like that? Also he said they may have some work in henrys fork later this fall on egg collection he doesn't know for sure if they will need any volunteers but that may come up. He had some concerns about working with a outside group, in the past they have had other groups try to demand things from the fish and game I reassured him we are here to work with not against them he seemed pretty optimistic about KP involvement.
    Last edited by KokaneeReaper77; 07-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.

even if kp isnt up and running this could be a kff sponcered event.

Do we get to use dynimite? i know a guy named Achmed that would like to help out. LOL
    I just know stuff...

You know me im in for removing some beaver dams as well as removeing some Burbot. What is our next step as far as getting kp up and running?

Petty don't get too excited but he did mention something about dynamite:D and no I am not kidding lol Curly the next step is to get with Walt Donaldson or Richard Wilson of Utah DWR and see if they will work with us. Having spoke with loyde Marsh i think we have a good chance, After that I will get a hold of Al Millan and see what he suggests on how to develop a mission statement and all the legal aspects of starting a KP chapter.
    Last edited by KokaneeReaper77; 07-11-2008 at 08:04 PM.

achmed will be excited.
    I just know stuff...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast