Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kokanee Power in utah/wyoming

Hi I just heard this thread today. I'm sorry to hear that Kokaneereaper is stepping down from trying to start a KOKANNE POWER CHAPTER. I have been a member of the KP CA. for a few yrs now and have found it to be a GREAT org. For those of you who have not gone to the web site should. It does take a lot of planning and volunteers to do this , but the overall out come will be well worth the effort. There will be a group of us from CA. going the the gorge in July this yr to fish . Some of them have been there and talked very highly of the great Kokanee fishing. If anyone wants to talk to me about the great things KP has done just ask me. The Oregon chapter started a yr ago so maybe contact there board and see how they got started. I'm sure Gary Coe or Al Millan will be a great help also. I see so many of the people that posted replies are enterested and I think you can get enuff volunteers to get this off the ground . It looks like kokaneereaper has done a lot of the first steps to getting this going. SO MAYBE HE CAN BE SWEET TALKED BACK INTO IT. If he can find the time and the support from a few of you UT/WYO anglers . My 2 cents . JIM D

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeReaper77 View Post
    Well we got three guys that have volunteered so far and that's not enough to get this off the ground I think there isn't enough interest in KP to make it work in my opinion so I am going to step away from this and let some one else take the lead if they would like.
    Don, I hope you will reconsider. You're obviously a concerned kokanee angler, and you have every right to be. The kokanee population in the Gorge is a result of natural recruitment and more recently hatchery production. Even with increased stocking efforts by Utah Division of Wildlife, Wyoming Game and Fish and the Fish and Wildlife Service over the last few years, kokanee abundance on FGR continues to decline. There is going to be a lot of work to do in the next several years which will take many hands. By observing the "Kokanee Power" website you can see what can be accomplished with the assistance of angler groups. Utah/Wyoming will need the same type of response whether it comes in the form of predator removal projects (for example the Burbot Bash by BFT) or assistance with kokanee collections/egg takes as seen in other states.

It may be good to take your ideas to other forums(?) or groups, in hopes to find more help. I did a quick count on the KFF member list and came up with 247 members, of which 40 are from UT and 4 are from WY. That's not a very big pot to choose from. Anyways, that's my 2 cents and I appreciate your efforts. I'm also willing to help where I can. Thanks, Ryno

Default How can I help

I live in CO but would love to be involved in any action to exspand KP out here either in UT, WY or even CO. I honestly don't have much free time, but would love to use what free time I have to help. With that being said I would be more than willing to partner up with someone to get things started.

Ben

just a thought but instead of a 2 state chaper we get something like a "Mountain West Chapter" Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho. Just thinking outloud

I think that is a great idea. How about we get a list of guys that want to do this then say we pick a weekend to meet up at a some what central location fish you know we got to do that then have a meal(few beers) and talk about what we need to do to get this started. Maybe a monthly bi monthly meeting until this is an official thing. I'm good at organization but I don't know this area nor do I know who to contact from KP in CA and DOW in the area. I have only been in CO for just over a year.

Ben

I am still interested in getting things going for KP I don't have a whole lot of free time with running the business and all but like you I am willing to use any of it for KP.
    www.curlyslures.com

There is two Koknaee foundation in California and I will list both of them and they do the same job. you can join both if you like they both work with the CDFG they provide volunteers the premote the Koknaee fisheries in California and funds through derbys like the one just held At New Melones Res.

One is Kokanee Power (Central California Inland Fisheries Kokanee and salmon Foundation INC) their wed site is www.kokaneepower.org

and the other is CIFFI (California inland fishiers foundation INC.
    there web site is www.Kokanee.org

check them out and tell me how they differ from one another seems like there doing the same job CIFFI is the pioneers in California, both do great work in California

Calinornia Kokanee fisheries are done by Volunteers rasing funds from derbys and raffles for the CDFG to Raise Kokanee and trout to plant in lakes through out the state and or

Now California only as two lakes that Kokanee produce naturally and in oct the CDFG with the help of the many Volunteers from CIFFI collect eggs from Taylor Creek Lake Tahoe and in the Truckee River off Stampede Lake Kokanee power Volunteers takes care of the Truckee River Kok eggs. they are raised in Hatcheries until they are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. So some time this month they should be planting Kokanee in the lakes and that will be posted soon on CIFFI Wed Site, And the Koknaee power wed site
    Last edited by Stanson; 07-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Just a few updates to your post ... no dis-respect meant and just want to make sure people have the updated info on lakes and other items.. Both organizations do basically the same things in supporting the fishery from trout pens to collecting Kokanee and great causes usually related to fishing and kids and those with special needs. There are so many lakes in California that having two organizations helps cover a lot of ground from Shasta to Fresno and it give people more opportunity to join in derby fun while supporting the causes at the same time. Many members belong to both organizations as I do as they are both volunteers organizations so funding goes back and nobody gets paid.

California has a number of lakes that produce naturally which include:

Whiskeytown
    Bucks Lake
    Pardee
    Melones (likely)
    Bullards (on good water years but they have been MIA now for 2 years even with plants)
    Tahoe (Taylor Creek)
    Stampede
    What other ones did I forget?

Tahoe and Stampede is where the DFG collects the eggs and they call up and coordinate with both organizations to help as we all know it can't be done by the DFG alone with their limited staff and funding. I finally was able to participate at the Truckee Stampede collection and it was a lot of fun. A sample report of this is here:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...d.php?t=164139

and the subsequent report on them here:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=1641

Hopefully I can help again as it is a great learning experience for the kids and everyone involved. All the eggs get sent down to San Joaquin hatchery where an extremely dedicated group of volunteers take care of the eggs until they hatch and things get more automated and then the fry are split up to other hatcheries to grow until they are delivered to their respective regions.

As for Kokanee plants that was done in the late spring when the water temp at the hatchery starts rising too high as well as the right temperature at the lakes they plant (before it gets too warm as well) They were a lot bigger this year than normal for the plants with fish into the 2 and some nearly 3 inches which they considered a really great year of quality eggs and fish. The spreadsheet of plant numbers is usually out by now from the DFG so the numbers should be coming soon and I'll check into it via my contacts.

Back to the topic of getting an organization going for Utah / Wyoming - all it takes is a group of dedicated volunteers that can get together and organize a bit and then grow from there. Geographically it is a bit tougher for Wyoming / Utah since it is spread out quite a bit.

Kevin
    Last edited by HiTechKoke; 07-15-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeReaper77 View Post
    I talked with Utah fish and game biologist Lowel Marsh for Flaming Gorge today he was optimistic and had some volunteer work for us in the near future on removing some beaver dams on sheep creek to help the kokanee spawn If we can get KP up and running I would like to participate in that would any one else be interested in something like that? Also he said they may have some work in henrys fork later this fall on egg collection he doesn't know for sure if they will need any volunteers but that may come up.
    If you get things moving and plan some dates for volunteer work at Sheep Creek/Henrys Fork I would willing to help out for sure. Let get the KP going!
    BURGER, FRIES, AND A KOKE.
    DONT BOTHER ME, I'M FISHING

I've got a pretty full schedule this year but I will help out where I can...
    Im4Kokanee
    ___ ___

Quote Originally Posted by CurlysLures View Post
    Can we coin it the 1st ANNUAL BURBOT BASH?
    Well, maybe. BFT had a BB last January so I'm not sure if you could rightly call it the 1st. But whatever it's called, having it is a good thing.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I dont think Bullards bar belongs on that list and were is folsom lake but again the only two lake that produce eggs for the CDFG is tahoe and Stampede tayor creek and Truckee River that is were all of the kok eggs come from, the other lakes may or may not produce it depends on who you ask. were may be some natural lake spond but thats not were the CDFG get there eggs from to supply the other lakes in California...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123