Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downrigger Releases

Default Downrigger Releases

:)What kind of downrigger releases do you use? I've used just about every release out there including the rubberband release, and i like the yellow offshore releses with 24in cable on them
    I just know stuff...

I like the OffShore brand also, but I'm always looking for something else.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

I second that petty, after using them up at the pig...
    Tacklebox mafia
    Utah predator callers

This year I have been experimenting with the small adjustable releases from Seps. So far they have worked great ,very few false releases. The pinch pads hold good,but because of the adjustable tension they release well when they should. They have about a 14 inch leader ,which really helps to avoid tangles when making sharp turns.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Yellow off shores
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I use the adjustable Shasta releases on my downrigger weights retied with 18" coated steel leader, they take a little getting use too but once you have them dialed in it takes all the guess work out of where to hook them. The two biggest keys to using them is to twist the line a few times then put the loop end into the release and using line that has the same diameter on all of my reels so you don't have to adjust them each time.

On my shuttle hawks I use the yellow offshore releases, to avoid the guesswork on where to hook them, I make sure the spring is all the way forward then I use a fine tipped sharpie to mark the "sweet spot" on the pads. It makes hooking them up a snap and keeps the line consistently in the zone.
    On my shuttle hawks I use the yellow offshore releases
    “Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Team RMT

Yellow Off-Shore on the downrigger ball. Shasta releases on the Shuttle Hawk. But as Trophy Taker said, you're better off using all the same diameter line when using the Shasta releases so there is no re-adjusting of the tension on them.

white offshore or-4? walleye release, 6lb line has been a great release, used to use the rubberbands but had to use heaveir line and broke line way to often. sometimes have to give a yank when fish is on but no often.anybody no of where you can get Gizmo stackers, little plastic stackers that go directly on cable, love them but only have 1 left???

SummitRealtor Guest

Default No more yellow?

This being my first post - just a quick intro:

I live in Summit County Colorado and have not fished since I was a kid. But I want to learn this summer to fish the local lakes and rivers for Kokanee and Trout. Waters in this area are supposed to be pretty good and apparently this spring is off to a great start.

I have read a ton online in the past few weeks and think I am ready to begin on the right foot.

Now my question:

Several people here mention the Yellow Off Shore Tackle Downrigger Release. But it does not appear that yellow is still an option at

http://www.offshoretackle.com/downriggerreleases.html

So…Which is now the color (OR#) of choice for trolling for kokanee? And, should I consider something else for trout?

Thanks!

SR, one of us may be mislead but this is the release I use and you'll notice it is yellow and says, "by offshore."

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

SummitRealtor Guest

That was quick SuperD, Thanks!

Also, go to www.kokaneemart.com and click on "more good stuff" Ric is a site sponsor here and can hook you up with those yellow off shore clips...and a whole lot more! I almost forgot...Welcome to the Kokanee Forum!

Yellow Off Shore. They are perfect for kokanee.

Black Off Shore OR1's. I use these for stackers also.

We make and sell our own using Scotty Clips..they won't kink or crimp up, you can throw them in your pocket and they come out straight!

I don't care for the hard surfaces of a Scotty clip. IMO, too like to cause frayed lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishintrippz View Post
    We make and sell our own using Scotty Clips..they won't kink or crimp up, you can throw them in your pocket and they come out straight!
    I have several scotty's and they work very well for me They don't always release and helps with the hook set as long as your not sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullets View Post
    Also, go to www.kokaneemart.com and click on "more good stuff" Ric is a site sponsor here and can hook you up with those yellow off shore clips...and a whole lot more!
    That is the one; clips to the cable, but I have lost three of them hitting the up button a second time with the lawn mowers, when the chicken dance happens Anyone have a good answer for that other then dont hit the button twice?

I use Vances releases and have used the the one's Kendra made for me. I have not had any line frayed useing the scotty type. I have had the rubber tabs on the Sep's releases come off.

twisted lines I lost a few that way too.. I put another stop on my cable line , helped most of the time,, Now i have Cannons. i keep a good back up of releases in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by dunnigan jim View Post
    twisted lines I lost a few that way too.. I put another stop on my cable line , helped most of the time,, Now i have Cannons. i keep a good back up of releases in the boat
    That was easy enough Thanks And I do......

Scotty user here.

Bryon

Roemer Release.
    The Gorge in June!

Maybe a dumb ? But are the yellow off shore releases the ones that they use for planner boards. I have a white off shore release but only can find the small planner board releases in yellow. They are about half the size of my white one. They do have adj from light to hard by moving the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrogers View Post
    Maybe a dumb ? But are the yellow off shore releases the ones that they use for planner boards. I have a white off shore release but only can find the small planner board releases in yellow. They are about half the size of my white one. They do have adj from light to hard by moving the spring.
    Yes... same ones.
    http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR10.html
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Rrogers, did you click on the link in reply #9?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast