Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reels for Kokanee fishing

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechKoke View Post
    Hey Kaidoy - Where did you order the upgraded drag washers. I want to put some of those in my C4's which should be the same as the C3's as mine are a few years old.
    Hey Kevin,

I ordered them from www.smoothdrag.com. It was a pretty simple install, and they are much better than stock! They're sooo much smoother! I think it took me maybe 15 to 20 minutes per reel.

- Wes

Thanks - I just made an inquiry to them.

i have about 6 abu garcia's the last one i got is the 4600c3, i haven't even put line on it yet. the clicker is a option i like because you can put two rods on a rigger and lower both at the same time with ease. they are a good reel for the price also.

I use a few revo SX light low profile and smooth also I have a few Abu Gracias I don't remember what model but they were not that expensive. The in looking for a reel is Drag as previously mentioned. I also consider weight of the reel and the number of ball bearings witch in turn effects how the drag works. I just got a diawa line counter last year I like it I have yet to use it for kokes as I see it being to big I am looking for a small line counter that has the above mentioned characteristics too.

Ben

I really wish Shimano would make a Calcutta 50 or 100 with a clicker. That would be awesome! I have heard good things about the Ticas, but it seems like they are too big for Kokanee in my opinion. Any opinions? Maybe Kevin can chime in?

I bought 2 Okumas Magda Pro MA30DX reels with line counters. I've had these for 2yrs now. Love um Also have 2 Penn 209 level wind reels that I used for many yrs as faithful backups. Been very happy with those, too.

I've been using 2 Daiwa SG17LCA's for a couple of years now. Been smooth with no complaints but I'm thinking of replacing the drags with Carbonex just for the heck of it.
    The line counter comes in handy as I'm somewhat "distance impaired" when letting out line and I like the clicker, too.
    Tight Lines and Screamin' Drags

We have been using Calcutta 50's, 100's and Abu 4000 series reels. Personally I prefer the size, weight and look of the Calcutta 100's.
    Whatever reel(s) you choose, I highly recommend the SmoothDrag upgrade with the Carbontex drag washers. Don't forget to smother the washers with a good coating of Cals or shimano drag grease...buttery smoooooth......good luck in your search

Bryon

Quote Originally Posted by ll kaidoy ll View Post
    I really wish Shimano would make a Calcutta 50 or 100 with a clicker. That would be awesome! I have heard good things about the Ticas, but it seems like they are too big for Kokanee in my opinion. Any opinions? Maybe Kevin can chime in?
    Definitely the Ticas are no bigger than the ABU's in the Tica CM or CT 100 series. I opted for the slightly bigger Tica 150 series just to have longer line capacity when I long line for trout on the surface as well as having a slightly higher retrieve ratio which I like, especially when trying to catch up with fish that run at the boat.

Kevin
    Last edited by HiTechKoke; 02-16-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Default abu 4600c5magx

Ive been using c5magx in the 4600 size for a few years now and just love the smooth drag and return. I have them mounted on ugly sticks ul 7ft. It's a good combo for my scottys. I fill them with sufix siege 10lb clear. The new style c5mag are only avail. from cab.....s and the 4600 are almost always on sale ,,, 60.00 range..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12