Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reels for Kokanee fishing

Default Reels for Kokanee fishing

What would be some really good reels to use for fishing Kokes? I think the ones I have are a little on the big side and might need to get something a little smaller.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Just about any reel ,that has a good drag will work. I have used my spinning reel for kokes before with out any problems. Line counter reels are gaining popularity in the kokanee world .It helps to know how much line you have out time after time. It also helps people like me,that have a bad sense of distance. I'm using a Okuma convector level wind model 15 with line counter, so far this reel has worked great. Hopefully a few more will weigh in as to what they like and fish with.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

I have a Daiwa AcccuDepth Plus 27LC I am thinking of using .
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

drag drag drag that is all you need. any reel with a good drag system.
    I just know stuff...

I really like to use baitcasters for fishing kokes and I usually don't use big trolling baitcasters either, I prefer smaller ones like the team daiwa or calcuttas, but I have an old cheap browning baitcaster that even works well. I also use a flueger spinning real and have enjoyed using it as well,
    jed

I think that I am going to get a couple of Diawa Accudepth LC17's. They are small enough and I really like the Linecounter feature.

Hey Dan,

I have some Baitcasters that I am gonna part with. They are abu garcias in the 5000 series, new line this year etc. They have been used only this year atthe gorge. Give me a call and we can talk price and hook you up
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I use a Penn 209MS with leadcore.
    Good drag, easy maintenance, stainless spool simple operation for trolling.

I use abu garcia bait cast 4600 c5 's very very smoth retrive and a real good smoth drag,,, the new c5's have a carbon matric drag --- great. And every once and awhile cabelas has this reel on sale. They are the only ones that have the new c5's...

calcutta,s are all i use. like was said. its all about smooth drag!

I have the Abu 4600 C4's and this last year got a Tica CT150 and liking that so much I added a Tica CM150.

I am leaning towards the Tica's now as my reel of choice as you release one easy twist screw that is designed to not fall out and then a twist of the reel and you have access to all the internals and you can even change spools. All of this without whipping out a screwdriver and having parts everywhere. This is all due to their CNC design. I like the drag and a simple feature that makes a hit for me is the star drag clicks for every little turn so you can hear it as you crank it up or down which is a great feature. I talked to a Tica rep recently and he said they are com,ing out with a newer model this next year, a little more expensive but also an upgraded drag... with Nasa like heat-shield technology. Hey - I'm not tossing my reel into space but it's good to know it won't overheat!

Kevin

I just bought 2 Shimano Cardiff 100A reels off of ebay and am very excited about mounting them to my koke rods. I use Tekota 300's for all my trout fishing and they are just too heavy for Koke fishing. I thought about the Abu 4600's but love Shimano drags on my tekotas, am hoping they are similiarly smooth.

Shimanno curado 200b, been looking at 100 series reels on e-bay. All I can say is babybutt smooth drag! Best reel ever

Abu Garcia REVO.

Very Light.
    Very Fast.
    Very Smooth.

very low profile mates up well with very light kokanee rods.

Daiwa Accudepth AD17 Line Counter...Have been useing for the last 5 years with no problems.

I have a couple of Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reels and like the smooth drag. Those Tica CM100 reels sure look tempting.

like petty4life said smooth drag, for spinning reels i really like shimanos,symetere or stradics always served me well.for spin fishing jigging or still fishing at night.
    live your dreams,love your life.

I use the Tica cm100 have 4 w/lamaglas kokanee rods. Very smooth drags. My other reels are Pinnacle also smooth drags as are the ABU 5600ws reels. Best choice for the $$ Tica Jim

I have the Shimano Calcutta 100B's. They are VERY smooth & the drag is exceptional. Have them mounted on Loomis CR841 7' Ultra Light rods. Great for Kokes, & I use the same set ups for Eagle Lake here in CA.....(Eagle is home to California's finest Rainbow Trout fishery.)

Quote Originally Posted by vvBob View Post
    I have the Shimano Calcutta 100B's. They are VERY smooth & the drag is exceptional.
    Drag what drag, your always in free spool.

Last year we upgraded to Shimano Cardiff's 300A. These reels were a joy to use all year! Very smooth drags, and pretty fast too. Our loss rate on kokes was an all time low last year. I look forward to getting them out for year #2. Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Drag what drag, your always in free spool.
    It's a trick I learned from YOU!!.....And I love it when that happens.

I noticed online a few days ago that Abu Garcia has a new 4600 C3 Kokanee Custom reel. They are only sold at Fishermans Warehouse.

I use Abu Garcia 4600C3s with clickers installed. It's basically the Abu Garcia 4600C3 Kokanee Custom reel that FishHunter is referring to at Fisherman's Warehouse. However, mine are the older designed sideplates and not the newer ones, and mine have aftermarket SmoothDrag Carbontex Carbon Fiber drag washers.

Hey Kaidoy - Where did you order the upgraded drag washers. I want to put some of those in my C4's which should be the same as the C3's as mine are a few years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast