Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Report

Default 2023 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Report

Ice off should be coming soon. Best of luck to the Fly Boys of Mountain Home AFB.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Based on the Bureau of Reclamation we should be able to launch boats. Does anyone know how deep the snow is or if there is a ramp that’s plowed yet?
    2018 Thunder Jet with custom pelagic wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    Based on the Bureau of Reclamation we should be able to launch boats. Does anyone know how deep the snow is or if there is a ramp that’s plowed yet?
    Water is iced over from Pine up to the narrows as of 3/12, no ice visible from the dam. Haven’t been by the launch though. Thinking too much snow still, unless they’ve plowed it. Nasty pothole is back on the dam, don’t lose a trailer tire!

You can see satellite images of anderson ranch reservoir on https://lakemonster.com/map for free. You can see that the reservoir is indeed frozen from the Lime Creek area all the way north to Pine. Do you guys think kokanee fishing would be any good in the thawed area towards the damn this early?

Lake monster images are out of date by a couple weeks last I looked. Fishing is generally awesome in the open water near the ice. Problem this year is the amount of snow covering the ramps. Unless someone wants to go plow one it will probably be a couple more weeks before the ramps are useable.
    2018 Thunder Jet with custom pelagic wrap.

Default Anderson ramps

Took a drive on Sunday to check on the ramps. As has been mentioned, the ice is not the challenge, there is a substantial amount of snow at the entrance and parking area of the Elk Creek ramp. The ramp itself looks to be coming off faster than the parking area-understandably.

Default Elk creek ramp

Has anyone laid there eyes on the ramp this weekend. I'm sure it's still snowed over but for God sakes, enough is enough. Can we just go fishing...

Default Elk Creek Ramp

Update on the ramp as of 06APR. The ramp itself is clear, there is one section of dock in the water. The parking area has about 8-12 inches of snow still.

Hope that helps-

Surely, it won't be much longer!!

Default Elk Creek ramp

Thank you very much for the update on the ramp and for taking the time to let everyone know. I like everyone else is over winter, ha ha. I was thinking about driving up next week and taking a look, think I will wait a little longer now. Now if the snow would leave and the wind would stop blowing, it would be good times for all

Default Elk Creek Ramp

Was at the ramp in late afternoon to check things out. Road in was good, but some pretty good size rocks had fallen into the road. I guess the "proceed at your own risk" signs aren't there just for show. Heard what I think was a rock slide why I was at the ramp. The ramp is clear, there really isn't a parking lot due to all the snow. Just about had to have been all iced up in the morning. Was a boat coming in so I waited to talk to them. They just parked up by the road. They said they couldn't get to Lime creek and hardly marked any fish. Saw their creel of 2 fish - 13" & 15".

It's almost time, but it is still full on winter at Anderson. Mountains are 100% covered in snow. Maybe it will be a bit better in a few weeks.

Default Elk Creek Ramp

Update on the ramp (and parking area)-

Ramp and parking area are clear! Talked to one guy that just came in, said he was marking fish between 25-30 feet and did catch some (do not know how many-I don't personally care, it's time!).

There were 8 trailers parked at the ramp. For future reference there is a sign saying the ramp will be CLOSED from 09-16 MAY.

Default Curlew

Had to run to Boise yesterday (Monday), decided to check Anderson on the way…
    There is ice from just above Lime Creek up to the Pine end. It looks pretty rotten and thin, especially south of the Curlew ramp. Weather depending, I can’t imagine it will be an issue much longer. The ramp at curlew has patches of snow on it, but you can’t launch anyway. The campsites at curlew have not been plowed and are inaccessible.
    The lake level is not as low as it was at this time last year, at least to my eyes. There is a ton of water still locked up in the snowpack up there, and I think once the real melt starts Anderson will fill quite nicely.

Default Chinook versus Kokanee gear

Is it similar but just larger lures? Are they using the same portion of the water column or shallow or deeper? Are there some to be caught in Anderson Ranch? I’ve never targeted them in freshwater but would like to try that when I go to Anderson Ranch primarily for Kokanee. Any info would be helpful.
    Last edited by kentd71; 04-23-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default April 22 2023 Report

Big strike out at Anderson. Was at the ramp by the dam at around 9. There were boats out, but still room to park. I threw everything I had at them and didn't get so much as a sniff. Fished from the top to 40', double stacked & planers out the sides. I was back at the ramp and it was almost empty at around 5. Talked to 2 other boats at the ramp. 13" koke in one boat and a strike out for the other. There were quite a few boats out, I saw 1 dink get caught all day. Not very happy with ARanch. Given the lake was cleared out so early, I'd say the fishing for everyone was similar to my experience.

I think I'm going to try a different lake this weekend.

Default Anderson 29-30 APR

Saturday, fished from 1200-230 with one in the boat, and missed/lossed three others. THEN fished from 330-530 ended with 8 more in the boat (the smallest was 14"). Had two triples and three doubles on. Of the 8 landed at least that many were hooked and lost. Pink hoochie with a smile blade and a pink/chrome Spin-Glo with 34-35 feet of line out with 1 oz weight worked.

Sunday was a different story. Fished from 11-3, had 1 short strike and 4 hooked and lost. Fished same area as Saturday just North of Lime Creek. Had NO bites from 1-3.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the report!
    Where did you launch?

Default Launch

On Saturday launched from Curlew, the dock IS NOT in the water

Sunday, launched from Elk Creek (a subtle reminder that ramp is closed 9-16 MAY per the sign at the ramp)

Thanks for that, ninja launching for the time being.

Default Yesterday

Fished from 1130-5 yesterday. There were 5 boats around the Fall Creek power lines, dropped in there and fished for about an hour, had one double. Picked up the lines and ran up just North of Lime Creek, has 7 more bites there. Ended with 5 in the boat, all 15-16". Pink hoochie with the smile blade and the pink spin-glo accounted for the bites. Fish were shallow-35-45 feet of line with a 1 oz weight.

Default Anderson 29MAY23

Fished from 1-430 on 29MAY. Had 7 fish hit, 6 hook ups and 2 landed (both were about 14-15 in). Lost two at the boat that were close to 18". Pink and orange Spin-Glos did the trick, the pink hoochie got nothing. The fish were shallow, 35-45 feet of line out with a 1 oz weight. Fished just North of Lime Creek towards Curlew. Not fast and furious, but still enough action to keep me coming back.

Default Anderson 6-3

Six hooked, two landed(17”). Pink and red Hoochies w micro spinner. 1.2mph, just east of the power line at 10’, 80’-100’ back. Zero strikes on other rod’s that were deeper. Strike window was 11-noon, then off.

PS. My first Idaho kokes in 4 tries, all other attempts at LP. Caught some in Crane Prairie, near Bend/La pine OR last week.

Default Sunday, 4 June

Fished for 3 1/2 hours (1-430pm) had 9 hits, landed 1, 16 1/2" (not a typo). SHALLOW, 25-35 ft of line with 1 oz weight. Pink Spin-Glo and an orange hoochie with a blue smile blade got the hits.

Most hits came between Lime Creek and Curlew ramp.

Default Anderson any good?

Have a friend coming up from SLC and is camping at Anderson. He asked if the Kok fishing has been any good as he is bringing his boat. I have not heard any reports of late but he apparently talked to someone and they told him they were averaging 20 per day. Any truth to that?

Default Pretty good

Fished Wednesday and Thursday. Really windy Wednesday but did ok considering. Smallest was a 16”, biggest a 19.5”. 10 total. Fish were shallow, top 12 feet of water. Pink hoochie and orange apex did the job. Thursday a bit slower but weather nicer. A handful of fish, same depth, but did put a 20” in the box. All fish were fat and healthy.
    Had to leave Friday morning. Quite a few boats out and some really questionable parking in the lower dirt lot.

Default Friends coming

Thanks My 3, I'll probable fish try LP first and then Anderson Ranch. Supposed to rain so will want to stay close until mid/end of week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast