Thread: Berry Bad 8-18-2022

Default Berry Bad 8-18-2022

After a month long of not being able to go fishing anywhere I decided it was more than time to get out for the day. Arrived at Strawberry 0630 and lines in at 0715. It was a nice day with water smooth as glass, water temp was at 70°. I could tell the fish were hanging in the 40-45' depth, I dropped my Fish Hawk down which temp readings verified this was the comfort zone of 52° @ 45'. I marked fish all over, but the willingness of players wasn't there, not even the cutts were in a playful mood. The first 2 fish I caught made me think I got into a couple of descent kokes at the way they fought going deep stripping line and breaking surface with a hard splash. Finally, after getting fish (the wanna be kokes to me) to the boat it turns out to be slotted cutts that were hooked back near the rear fin & anal port. It appears in my judgement they slapped at the presentation. I did mark some small schools on the finder what to me was kokanee but couldn't get any takers. I ended up with 5 cutts all in the slot, no kokes, that production is down from the usual 20-25 cutts catch that I normally would be busy with.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Sounds like a fun trip especially after taking a month off. I have not fished for kokes at the berry this late in the season.

Glad to hear you got out, Roger. I still figuring this retirement thing out as to how to get more fishing in. Retired July 1 then took a 3 week trip with wife and got back to 4 weeks of looking after grandkids while son-in-law was at army reserve training. Now catching up around house while looking ahead to bird hunting. Maybe can do better next summer.

Hi Chuck, congrats on your retirement. Life still gets thrown unavoidable curves as if your still working, but as always learning to deal with them is part of the plan. This has been a very dismal disappointing year for me for fishing. I had my plans laid out at the beginning of the year for fishing trips as I do every year, but the priority had shifted to help my wife with health issue which was just the beginning, its unhealthy aging and I'll be there always for her. Retirement is easy, there is always something to do or concoct around the house, my plans don't involve going back to work. Even had plenty of time to do some mod changes with boat. Also, I have plenty of those lazy days where I can lay around, especially when it gets too hot or too cold to be outside. At the turn of the new year, I'll be making out my plans once again, purchases for Wyoming AIS decal, Flaming Gorge reciprocal, lakes to visit.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Yup, the unplanned curves come, and health ones among those of greatest concern. I've faced several health related issues the last few years that while serious in nature, thankfully were not chronic or debilitating to this point. I wish you and your wife the best with some understanding of all it entails to face those things.

Thumbs up Long Time Strawberry Anglers: Taildancer and Way Better Half

Howdy, we were there about the same time frame, out from the marina and mostly mid channel of the lake (between Visitor Center and the N. Narrows)
    All in all was a good day for THIS season on the 'Berry. 12 fish (two male Kokes in full spawn regalia). They were a surprise to us late in the morning! Since we had no kokes on before that 15-30 minute window. One of the Cutts was just huge, only 1/3 of him would go in the rubber net. All the fish were released as gently as they were ready to go spawn.
    All I can do is estimate him at 28" and probably 7+pounds! On lead core line, 7 colors on koke gear. We tip our hooks with one gulp maggot usually pink; don't think it matters too much about color for them. This was our first year to work home treated shoe peg corn into the mix as well..
    Those two kokes were the first we have encountered on our lines in mid August. We usually stop trolling for Kokes, and switch over to casting or drifting a white tube jig tipped w/night crawler.
    We had a good time at the 'Berry this season, but nowhere near the numbers of Kokanee we usually see at the end of our lines. In our 12 days on the water there '22 , we had only 12 kokes to show for it... and about 90 Cutthroats (most in the upper slot). Great fun though, and more than enough to get these 76 years oldtimers back at the 'Berry next season!! See you'all there!! Tight lines and the drag set Just Right...Taildancer