Thread: 6/12 koke day

Default 6/12 koke day

I went out Sunday morning to chase kokes, I launched out of Lucerne and motored over to Rawlins. I dropped a white and blue squid down to 20 ft and a pink plankton down to 15ft. The white and blue side went off. Wahoo first fish in the box dropped it back down and a few minutes later I got a second just as I set the net down the pink one went off. Dropped the baits back down spun the boat around and started heading back through the same spot and the white and blue went off again. As I was bringing that fish in the pink went off. I kept one and let one go and was done for the day. Cleaned up the boat and was back at the house by 10:00. It was a fun morning. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_085721.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	10193]
    Last edited by nofish; 06-14-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Nice to see you got out again hope you are doing ok. No lakers this trip?

Yeah, we got a few Friday and Saturday. But they are slowing down.

Nice going Aaron, sounds like Rawlins is getting warm with kokes. Were there other boats in the area? I'm chomping at the bit to get out somewhere. Appears the big "W" will be kicking up all over for a few days.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Yeah there were few boats around. I didn't see many nets out though.

Default Help

Can I ask a dumb question. where is Rawlins on the gorge? I'm heading up Tuesday and I'm a little worried about the conditions. Koke fishing has been in radio silence lately. Going to be spending a boat load of money to get up there and haven't been up in a long time for that very reason. I talked to the marina yesterday, sounds like the water is starting to stain up. This is only 1 of 2 trips I have planed for the year. Does anyone have any tips of area's and depths, or is it still a crap shoot until the thermocline gets established?
    2007 20' ALUMACRAFT, 200 HP YAMAHA, 5 hp kicker.

South of the pipeline and just north of state line, if you know where swim beach its straight across to the east side.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Yes, I love the pipe line area. It's like fishing in a picture. tis probably my most favorite spot. I actually have a clamp on one of the cables, that I made for my dad when he worked for northwest pipeline. camping on swim beach. Will hit anvil draw, squaw hallow and breeze hill or should I stay south to avoid the stained water? thanks for that input Bduck, have never tried there.

I think the best thing you can do is try to cover as much water as you can and when you find a school you should do everything you can to stay on them. I had a freind that went in to Rawlins yesterday and he only got one fish after 4 hours of fishing.

The koke numbers are really low this year and it is showing. All you need to do is talk with people that have spent a few days on the lake. There are fish to be had its just taking some time to get them.

Bduck, thanks for the help on a fishing location. Over the course of our trip we would always return there and pick up 1 or 2 kokes. It was pretty slow all week. We picked up our largest north of anvil on the west side. North of anvil was nothing but macks. tried fishing king fisher Island area with no luck, which is where we were told to go by the boat check station attendant. (lies) lol.....My GPS was so loaded with tracks I could hardly see my way points. We picked up 2 under the pipeline and that was it. The water was stained, surface temp was between 65 and 68. Didn't seem to matter what we threw at them color wise, but cop car and orange seemed to produce the best. 27 to 30 feet seemed to be the magic depth, fished between 25 and 50. Thanks again for helping out another NUT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koke.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	10198