Thread: FG June 1 - 10

Hybrid View

Default FG June 1 - 10

When we arrived in Manila on June 1 a guy at the gas station said they had fished hard for 4 days with no Kobes. He said the same dates the previous year they caught 50. Third hand knowledge.

Fishing was slow at first. We fished shallow w/ lead core and DRs, with 60 ft of mono leader on LC and 80 ft of drop on DRs. Friday, sat and Sunday were better w/ 6,4,5 caught. Friends arrived and we were down to catching dinner. On Thursday before we left yesterday we caught 7 nice cokes. Lots of folks at pipeline but we only caught babies there - shallow only. We fished sheep creek and hideaway area mostly.

We have a new thermometer and took temps at the Lucerne marina sat and the following Tuesday. Here are the depths, followed by Saturday’s and Tuesday’s temps. 20 ft; 54.5,57 25 ft; 54, 56 30 ft; 54, 57 40ft; 53, 54.5 50ft; 52, 53.5 60ft; 51, 53.5. Surface temps were 56 and 58. While we started fishing deeper the fishing didn’t improve until Thursday.

What worked?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	612E1B42-0DC6-44A9-B490-8F51095460D1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	10192

Early success was with oranges and later success with blue. Almost all are bright colors and day glow components. Yes, that is a day glow grub half way up from lure. Don’t have the actual orange and blue lures with me, but several looked like the pink lure. Pink and chartreuse only caught fishermen this trip. Last seven fish caught 33 to 43. Good luck. Kokanee64

Thanks for the report kokanee64, glad to see you got into them. I receive mostly verbal reports that is not posted. Since last year reports have been a difficult challenge at the Gorge as well as other lakes. Some had good success while others struggled to get a bite.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Thanks for the detailed report.

We also heard conflicting reports. A well equipped party staying near us had zero luck for several days. Most of the people we talked to on land and water weren’t catching and there was lots of grousing about “something isn’t right” about the lake this year. We are new to FG and don’t have an opinion.

We had our best success very early in the morning. On days we caught fish, the early bite was best and we typically had a couple of fish in the box before anyone else showed up. It was quite difficult to figure out depths for best success because the bite was too slow. It often felt like an occasional random fish, at random depth, caught on a random lure. Everyone was struggling. I think most people don’t want to report disappointment. We were skunked 2 or 3 days; we’re used to it and don’t mind.

Default something isn't right

What is everyones' take on possible impact of the water draw down on fishing for kokes? The drop is clearly noticable when looking at the Lucerne camera. I know that still enough water in lake to support the fish but how might make things more difficult fishing? The Gorge has always been cyclic for kokes, and where are we on that cycle and/or how might it have changed?

This is a great topic. Im sure not a biologist for this lake or any other one for that matter. I dont think the Gorge has been on for the past few years. Very hit and Miss. The good old days are behind us I feel. So.............. What is contributing to this, I think its a number of factors, just not one or even two. I feel that there is far more pressure on the Gorge Each and every year. Lots of pressure to thin out the pup lakers and while im here, shoot, lets get us a limit or two of Kokes.

The Lakers, Yes, the Lakers. Obviously they are eating a great diet of Kokes, bows, cutts, other fry and whatever looks good at the time. I know many of us on here like to catch the big ones including me! Lets thin down these little ones as much as we can, that will help.

Burbot, LOL, we all know they are a bunch of pigs at the troth! Garbage disposals. They never stop eating until they are getting eatin! from Slurping eggs to 12-13 inch fish. they devour them!

Fisherman! yes, more and more of us coming from all over the western united states to fish this wonderful lake. We are keeping a boat load, no pun intended, of kokes and its taking its toll on the over all populations i think. Add this all up, I think that we can contribute all of these to less fish in the box each year.

Water levels? I think so, less water acreage to hold boats, concentrates the boats more and the schools also. My two cents, any one else?
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.