PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming WARNING!!!

Kokehead
06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I just found out recentlly that the state of Wyoming will isue tickets to anyone pulling a non licenced/regestered trailor regardless of how many axles or how much it may weigh. Just a heads up to those like me that travel through Wyo to get to the gorge even though I stay on the utah side.
So I will be going through the vernal route to avoid this problem, it may be a bit further to go this way, but it's alot cheaper than a registration or a Wyo ticket.
But if you plan on fishing the Wyo side of the gorge, launch an Lucern. Wyo can't do anything about it unless your boat reg. is not current in the state you live in.

Petty4life
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I just found out recentlly that the state of Wyoming will isue tickets to anyone pulling a non licenced/regestered trailor regardless of how many axles or how much it may weigh. Just a heads up to those like me that travel through Wyo to get to the gorge even though I stay on the utah side.
So I will be going through the vernal route to avoid this problem, it may be a bit further to go this way, but it's alot cheaper than a registration or a Wyo ticket.
But if you plan on fishing the Wyo side of the gorge, launch an Lucern. Wyo can't do anything about it unless your boat reg. is not current in the state you live in.

you have to drive threw wyo to launch at lucern

Propnut69
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Yup. you will only be in Wyoming a few minutes getting to lucerne,but you will still be in Wyoming. Seems easier and cheaper in the long run,to just license the boat trailer,and not have to worry about it.

Wyobraz
06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
LOL, you must have just read the Wyo BFT board.

Honestly, I am really amazed more Utah folks do not know about Wyoming's law. It has been around for as long as I can remember and there is a ton of people get fined every summer with everything from boat trailers to ATV trailers.

I'm with Propnut I think I would just by tags for the trailer and not have to worry about it. How much are tags in Utah? If they are like Wyo's you would use up the cost of tags just to drive the extra distance thorugh Vernal, and you still may get a ticket if your going to Lucerne.

Kokehead
06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I believe that they are $70 plus taxes. And yes, I was reading the wyo board, I've been lucky so far but in Utah, you have to have a title of some sorts, a vin or sereal number on the trailor to licence them, mine has neither.

Kokaholic
06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Well, I am going to stop into the DMV this week and Find out more. Man what a Croc. I will way out the cost of registering my trailer each year in UTah VS. What the ticket would cost for not having the trailer registered. Go from there. The ticket is a non moving citation and would not effect your insurance. I will add to the post with my findings.

AFDan52
06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey basseater, I would be interested in your findings at the DMV if you don't mind sharing. my boat trailer doesn't have a plate on it.

Trophy Taker
06-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Kokehead sounds like which ever Officer/Trooper stopped you probabally ought to actually read the traffic code instead of his/her ticket writing short sheet. Registration laws are specific to the state of operated ownership not the state the vehicle is being operated in. Did you get a ticket? I underlined the import part. Which agency stopped you?

31-2-201. Required applications; contents; weight certificate; exemptions; fees; certificate of title as precondition.

(a) Every owner of a vehicle shall apply for registration of and license plates for the vehicle at the following times:

(i) Annually between January 1 through March 31 for vehicles registered under W.S. 31-18-201, and for all others annually not later than the last day of the annual registration month. Applications may be by mail;

(ii) Upon transfer of ownership of a vehicle:

(A) Within forty-five (45) days if transferred and temporary license permits issued by a licensed dealer;

(B) Within forty-five (45) days if transferred by an out-of-state dealer;

(C) Within forty-five (45) days if transferred under the provisions of W.S. 31-2-104(h). Vehicles may be operated by the transferee during this forty-five (45) day period when accompanied by a notarized bill of sale;

(D) Within thirty (30) days for other transfer. Vehicles may be operated by the transferee during this thirty (30) day period when accompanied by a properly executed title for the vehicle transferring interest in the vehicle to the transferee.

(iii) Upon becoming a resident in the case of a previous nonresident owner;

(iv) Notwithstanding paragraph (iii) of this subsection, immediately if the operator of a vehicle operated in this state is:

(A) Employed in this state, except that a temporary worker displaying a valid registration or license plate from another jurisdiction employed in the state for ninety (90) days or less may choose to purchase a decal from the county treasurer in lieu of registering the vehicle. Application for the decal shall be made to the county treasurer in the manner and form prescribed by the department. The decal shall bear a distinctive number assigned to the vehicle and expiration date and at all times be prominently displayed on the vehicle during the relevant time period in a manner prescribed by the department. The purchase of a decal shall be an alternative to complying with W.S. 31-2-206(m). No person shall be issued more than one (1) decal in a twelve (12) month period. Fees collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the county general fund. Operating a vehicle with an expired decal shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both. The fee for a temporary decal shall be thirty-five dollars ($35.00) for ninety (90) days;

(B) Not a daily commuter from another jurisdiction which exempts vehicles of daily commuters from Wyoming from registration under a reciprocity agreement; and

(C) Not a full-time student at the University of Wyoming, a Wyoming community college or a school licensed in this state offering post-secondary education.

(b) Applications for registration of vehicles shall be filed in the office of the county treasurer of the county in which the owner of the vehicle resides or in any county in any other case and contain:

(i) Information required by W.S. 31-2-103(a)(i), (ii) and (vii);

(ii) Unladen weight if required to compute fees and taxes, which unladen weight shall be substantiated by:

(A) A weight certificate;

(B) A manufacturer's statement of origin;

(C) A registration or title document; or

(D) A verified affidavit.

(iii) The purpose for which the vehicle is used and such other information as required by the department or the county treasurer;

(iv) Color of the vehicle at the time of registration;

(v) Information regarding whether the owner desires to donate one dollar ($1.00) or more to promote awareness and education efforts for procurement of organ and tissue donations for anatomical gifts.

(c) The department, county treasurer or any peace officer may cause a truck or trailer to be reweighed at any time and a new weight certificate issued. A copy of the certificate of registration shall be carried at all times in the commercial vehicle for which it is valid and shall be displayed upon demand of any peace officer.

(d) The following vehicles are exempt from the provisions of this section:

(i) Transportable homes and the empty frame or frames used to haul transportable homes;

(ii) Antique motor vehicles;

(iii) Passenger automobiles or trailers owned by a full-time member of the armed forces of the United States, whether in regular service, organized reserves, or national guard, as long as the registration from another state in effect when the vehicle entered Wyoming is maintained in accordance with the laws of the state;

(iv) Commercial vehicles or fleet which will be operated in Wyoming and any other jurisdiction;

(v) Vehicles granted reciprocity pursuant to W.S. 31-2-203;

(vi) Vehicles owned by a nonresident, validly registered in another state or country, displaying registration numbers or plates in accordance with the laws of that state or country and:

(A) Not operated for gain or profit in Wyoming nor used for transportation to or from employment in Wyoming; and

(B) Not owned or operated by a person employed in this state.

(vii) Vehicles owned by a nonresident, validly registered in another state or country, displaying registration numbers or plates in accordance with the laws of that state or country and:

(A) Operated primarily by a full-time student at the University of Wyoming, a Wyoming community college or a school licensed in this state offering post-secondary education;

(B) Used for transportation of nonresident seasonally employed agricultural workers unless the owner of the vehicle becomes a resident under W.S. 31-1-101(a)(xxi)(A); or

(C) Operated primarily by a student enrolled in a post secondary educational institution accredited by a recognized and accepted accrediting agency, or in a parochial, church or religious school as defined by W.S. 21-4-101(a)(iv) offering post secondary education programs, if the institution or school owns or operates an educational program or facility in this state and the student is employed on a temporary basis in that program or facility as part of his educational curriculum.

(viii) The following vehicles if validly registered in states contiguous to Wyoming if the contiguous states grant similar exemptions to Wyoming owners of like vehicles:

(A) Repealed by Laws 1993, ch. 68, � 5.

(B) Repealed by Laws 1993, ch. 68, � 5.

(C) Trucks, the unladen weight of which does not exceed thirty-five hundred (3,500) pounds;

(D) Passenger cars while operated by salesmen who make no deliveries.

(ix) Mopeds;

(x) Pedestrian vehicles;

(xi) Rental vehicles, validly registered in another state or country, displaying registration numbers or plates in accordance with the laws of that state or country, provided the surcharge is paid pursuant to W.S. 31-3-104 if the vehicle is rented in Wyoming.

(e) County treasurers shall not register nor renew the registration of a vehicle unless a certificate of title has been issued to the owner or the owner presents satisfactory evidence that a certificate of title for the vehicle has been previously issued to the owner by any county clerk except as otherwise provided.

(f) Off-road recreational vehicles shall not be registered.

(g) A vehicle which is not included as part of a licensed dealer's inventory, is not currently registered in this state or any other jurisdiction and is required to be registered if operated on the public highways of this state may be operated for demonstration purposes without a load on the public highways of this state while displaying a demonstration permit. The permit shall be obtained from the department upon application, presentation of a Wyoming certificate of title and payment of the prescribed fee. The permit shall indicate the dates of demonstration, not exceeding ninety-six (96) hours, and such other information as the department prescribes. The department shall prescribe the manner in which the permit shall be displayed.

(h) Beginning January 1, 1993, no motor vehicle shall be registered unless the applicant verifies the motor vehicle is covered by a motor vehicle liability policy in full force and effect in amounts provided by W.S. 31-9-405(b) or a bond on file with the department in amounts provided by W.S. 31-9-102(a)(xi). The department shall adopt rules and regulations to implement this subsection. This subsection does not apply to self-insurers under W.S. 31-9-414. Issuance or renewal of registration by a county treasurer does not constitute verification or certification on the part of the county treasurer that the registered vehicle is in fact covered by required insurance or bond and neither the county treasurer nor any employee of the county treasurer's office is liable for damages caused by any person operating a registered vehicle in violation of W.S. 31-4-103(a). Any applicant making a false certification required by this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), or both.

Stryker
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the clairification Tom.
Perhaps everyone could print your information out and carry it with them while they are traveling in Wyoming.
I myself have never been stopped in all the years I've traveled to the Gorge, Lucerne or Buckboard.
This same story made the rounds thru Montana over the last several years, as they have to have a plate on everything.......even a little one place ATV trailer.

Wyobraz
06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I called the Wyoming Highway Patrol (1-307-777-4301) this morning for you guys and this is what I was told.

Wyoming does honor Utah rules according to trailer registrations and licensing as long as the trailer is being towed by a vehicle that displays a current Utah license plate or registration. But if a Utah trailer was to be towed with a vehicle from a state other than Utah a plate is required on the trailer. I was also told that Wyoming would prefer you to have a plate on the trailer because it may prevent unneccessary traffic stops.

Trophy Taker
06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Wyobraz, Thanks for checking with the Wyoming Highway Patrol. In Utah you don't just register a vehicle you also pay sales tax and property tax. The propery tax then becomes part of the annual registration fee. Our state only requires single axle trailers to be registered if they are used for commercial purposes (like the little construction trailers). So for us, we aren't required to register ATV, Jet Ski or Boat trailers as long as they only have one axle which is pretty amazing considering how Utah loves to make $$ on their residents every chance they get. If I had my way I would much rather register everything I own in Wyo, but if you get caught in Utah doing that the fine is $1200.00

Kokehead
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you very much trophy taker, that is very useful info, and I have printed it off and will keep it in my truck, And also another big thanks to you Wyobraz for calling and clarifying that for us.
You guys ROCK!!!