PDA

View Full Version : Colorado versus Indiana

BILLA
03-07-2018, 01:53 PM
I am looking to play around building some lures and was wondering what style blade is preferred, Indiana or Colorado. Also what size blades. Is size 4 too large. What are your 'go to" sizes? Thanks.

SuperD
03-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Bill, a little bit of the blade size depends on the quality of the fish in your area. I use Colorado blades in #2 & #3 if it is a pure spinner. I like to use both Colorado and Indiana blades in #0 and #1 if I'm accessorizing a hootchie. #4 is too big, IMO, and better suited for Walleye than Kokanee.

Physion
03-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I use #2 Indiana blades for all of my spinners. I use some beads and a tube fly behind the blade. They seem to work well. I have not tried Colorado blades on my homemade spinners, so I can't make a comparison. The Indiana blades spin closer to the axis. Colorado blades give off a bit more sound and spin farther from the axis. You could buy a few of each and experiment. I pull my spinners behind a troll or occasionally a dodger, so I don't think the blade choice would make a big difference for me. Now that you have asked, I am curious about which is actually better. Hmmm. Another experiment?

Physion

Physion
03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
I am attaching one of my latest spinners. I make these in several colors. The hooks are Eagle Claw #6 LazerSharp Octopus hooks. I know others use larger hooks. Part of the fun is experimenting to see what works best for you. Enjoy.

BILLA
03-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Guys,
Thanks so much for your responses and help.

mrmike
03-08-2018, 04:09 PM
I'm a Indiana blade guy,find they out fish everything. I love the half and half my go to size is 2 thru 4.